Social Welfare In Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I asked my wife if our former maid would be interested in coming back to work for us for a month or 2 as I just fired another maid.

My wife said there is no way as the former maid is on 'indecipherable word' and collects 1000 pesos a month so she would not want to come back to work for 2000 when she gets 1000 for nothing. Well now, of course, I am curious. Dona could not spell or pronounce the word well enough for me to understand what she was talking about but she did ask if I understood why so many filipinos are always lining up at Landbank. That gave me enough info for a Google search and sure enough, there is a very limited social welfare system in the Philippines that a small percentage qualify for. Here is the link:

http://pantawid.dswd.gov.ph/images/stories/briefernew.pdf

• Like 5

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

... I've read that these programs have taken a lot of criticism even within the Phils. After all why not use the money to build clinics, working training programs, etc. You'd be providing jobs and making it possible for the unskilled to get better employment. I've also read that some of the provincial governments have their own give-away programs. Good way to get votes, I guess. There's another program that gives free rice to families that keep their kids in school,but at least that serves a purpose. :unsure:

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I guess that is one of those damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't programs... Sure it's best to teach people how to survive... Teach them to use the tools to get a better job or even a job... Help them get ahead in life... Become self-dependent!

But it's all no good if people are starving to death before they can become self-dependent!

And, like every other country in the world with a social network program, there is going to be the thought that if I can get that for free, then why...?

:mocking:

• Like 3

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I'm shocked that there is even around $22 a month or $5.50 or something a week Is it even worth the effort to get it,yes I would think so if the other choice is rice and left over scraps? but at least it's something. If were were to complain about social welfare then it would be more appropaite back in our own countries where some get around 15,000 to 20,000 pesos per week ;)

• 1 year later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is some additional info on this topic. its called the 4-P

i will post the links/url as some of of is lengthy

The Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program

Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program 

is a human development program of the national government that invests in the health and education of poor households, particularly of children aged 0-18 years old.

Patterned after the conditional cash transfer scheme implemented in other developing countries, the Pantawid Pamilya provides cash grants to beneficiaries provided that they comply with the set of conditions required by the program. 

Pantawid Pamilya has dual objectives:

• Social Assistance - to provide cash assistance to the poor to alleviate their immediate need (short term poverty alleviation); and
  • Social Development - to break the intergenerational poverty cycle through investments in human capital.

Pantawid Pamilya helps to fulfill the country’s commitment to meet the Millennium Development Goals, namely:

1. Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger
  2. Achieve Universal Primary Education
  3. Promote Gender Equality
  4. Reduce Child Mortality
  5. Improve Maternal Health

educhealth.jpg

Set of Co-Responsibilities

To avail of the cash grants beneficiaries should comply with the following conditions: 

1. Pregnant women must avail pre- and post-natal care and be attended during childbirth by a trained health professional;
  2. Parents must attend Family Development Sessions (FDS);
  3. 0-5 year old children must receive regular preventive health check-ups and vaccines;
  4. 6-14 years old children must receive deworming pills twice a year.
  5. All child beneficiaries (0-18 years old) must enroll in school and maintain a class attendance of at least 85% per month.
Program Coverage

Pantawid Pamilya operates in 79 provinces covering 1484 municipalities and 143 cities in all 17 regions nationwide. 

The program has 3,996,967 registered households as of 26 February 2014.

http://pantawid.dswd.gov.ph/index.php/about-us

http://pantawid.dswd.gov.ph/

another article from manila bulletin editoral page via a blogsite

An Impact Evaluation by the World Bank (WB) showed that the Philippine Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) program is “strong and consistent” in improving the quality of lives of poor Filipino families, and that it is on track in achieving its objectives, primarily in human development, by investing in health and education of poor children aged 0-14 years old, and rural women.

The WB Impact Evaluation, done in cooperation with Asian Development Bank and Australian Agency for International Development, as well as research group Social Weather Stations,

was the result of over a year of data collection and analysis.

The WB said the Philippines, through the CCT or the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program,” is in a better position to attain in three years the Millennium Development Goals.

Under this program, poor families receive cash, provided their children go to public schools, visit health centers for checkup and treatment, and pregnant mothers undergo checkup.

The government has set target of 4.3 million poor households by 2016.

As of July 1, 2012, the program had 3,041,152 household-beneficiaries in 1,400 cities and municipalities in 79 provinces nationwide.

It is lengthening the five-year period that beneficiaries receive aid.

By December 31, 2013, some 321,000 beneficiaries will have graduated from the 4Ps, but the families would continue to be assisted by government through sustainable livelihood programs to keep them self-reliant when they leave the program.

http://somethingaboutnews.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-cct-4ps.html

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/community/view/20100318-259398/DSWDs-4P-beneficiaries-in-Cebu-City-get-cash-cards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantawid_Pamilyang_Pilipino_Program

i reopen this topic as i found out that an relative  of my child's mother family

is receiving this benefit, it is helpful as she is an widower,w/ 3 children under 13 and another 4 either in teens.out of house  or working adult  

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Looks successful. Look at the baby in the picture above. :)

Americano
Posted
Posted

The baby is bigger than everyone for its age. Its looks like a giant compared to them. And, the baby looks like its at least part foreigner with white skin. Look at the other kids beside the building. All of them look like black people. I think there's more to this story than we were told.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Looks successful. Look at the baby in the picture above. :)

yes Robert K. i noticed that too. wonder if you or jake has been there in the past 36months?

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day, teach him to fish and you feed him for life."

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day, teach him to fish and you feed him for life."

Lazy people are looking for a free hand out, they don't want to work. We have millions of them in the USA.

• Like 2