Filipino Expats Go To....

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Have you ever wondered what country Filipinos look to be an expat in? Where they want to move to in volume? Well, maybe it's not Canada but here's 2 different news reports I found on the same day... For those not aware, Winnipeg is the largest city in the province of Manitoba (I know somebody is gonna wonder - that's in Canada... hehe!) while Vancouver is on the west coast of Canada and is one of Canada's larger cities.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...e-winnipeg.html

Tagalog is 2nd-most common mother tongue in Winnipeg

CBC News

Posted: Oct 24, 2012 6:43 PM CT

Last Updated: Oct 24, 2012 6:40 PM CT

mb-censuslanguage-121024_852x480_2296319760.jpgTagalog in Winnipeg

The Filipino language of Tagalog is the second-most common mother tongue in Winnipeg, edging out French, the latest census figures show.

Statistics Canada says Tagalog is the first language spoken by 35,620 people in the Winnipeg census metropolitan area, accounting for 4.9 per cent of the population.

Meanwhile, French is the mother tongue of 29,675 people, or 4.1 of the population.

When the last census was conducted in 2006, 23,285 people in Winnipeg said Tagalog was their mother tongue, representing 3.4 of the population.

Top non-official languages

Statistics Canada says the top five non-official languages spoken in the Winnipeg metropolitan area are:

• Tagalog — 4.9 per cent.
  • German — 2.9 per cent.
  • One of the Chinese languages — 1.7 per cent.
  • Ukrainian — 1.5 per cent.
  • Punjabi — 1.4 per cent.

In the 2006 census, the top five non-official languages spoken in the city were, in order: Tagalog, German, Ukrainian, one of the Chinese languages, and Polish.

Tagalog is the fastest-growing language in Canada, as the number of people who report speaking it has gone up by 64 per cent between 2006 and 2011.

"There was an important wave of immigrants coming from [the] Philippines," said François Nault, a Statistics Canada analyst.

"That explains the growth now, in the census, of people declaring either Tagalog as [their] mother tongue or as a language most often spoken at home."

English remains the most common language in homes across the city, with 73.4 per cent of the population — or 529,405 people — saying it's their mother tongue.

Statistics Canada defines "mother tongue" as the first language learned at home in childhood and still understood at the time the census was taken in May 2011.

Ben Apuya, who has been living in Winnipeg for 22 years, says he, his wife and their two sons speak Tagalog at home.

"I always talk to them in Tagalog so that they will not forget their original language in the Philippines," Apuya said.

A total of 22.5 per cent of the population of metro Winnipeg has a mother tongue other than one of the official languages, an increase from 20.9 per cent in the 2006 census.

Across Manitoba, the most common mother tongue is English, followed by German, French and the aboriginal languages.

http://www.vancouver...9164/story.html

Philippines-based Tagalog language on the rise in Metro Vancouver (with video)

By Tiffany Crawford, Vancouver Sun October 25, 2012

METRO VANCOUVER - The Filipino language Tagalog is on the rise in Metro Vancouver, and is now one of the most-spoken immigrant languages in the region.

Overall in Canada, the number of people speaking Tagalog rose 64 per cent between 2006 and 2011, according to Statistics Canada census data released Wednesday.

Nearly 279,000 people across the country reported speaking Tagalog most often, up from 170,000 five years earlier.

In Metro Vancouver, 31 per cent of the population reported speaking an immigrant language most often at home. Of those, 6.7 per cent, or 47,640 people, said they speak Tagalog, up from nearly two per cent in 2006.

Only Punjabi and various Chinese dialects are spoken by more people.

Filipino professor Aprodicio Laquian, who works in Asian research at UBC, has studied the immigration patterns of Filipinos in Canada. He said the number of Filipino immigrants jumped to about 30,000 in 2010, from about 5,000 in the late-1980s.

At that time, he said, most Filipino immigrants were highly educated professionals like doctors or lawyers, but in 1992 Canada opened its door to domestic workers and caregivers.

Laquian said that because English is the official second language of the Philippines, many people quickly qualified for immigration to Canada.

"They are recruited by Starbucks and McDonald's to work in the service industry," he said, adding that many are temporary workers who come on a four-year visa but later seek permanent residency because employers want to keep them on.

"Employers like them because they can speak English well and they are easy to get along with — they laugh, they smile." he said.

There are eight languages and 67 dialects in the Philippines, however Tagalog is considered the national language.

The highest concentration of Tagalog speakers in Metro Vancouver is in New Westminster (4.7 per cent) followed by Richmond (4.6 per cent).

The Fraser Street neighbourhood in central Vancouver, roughly bounded by Fraser and Knight streets, King Edward and 33rd Ave., is also home to a large number of Filipino families.

Statistics Canada says about 80 per cent of immigrant-language speakers live in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa-Gatineau.

• Like 3

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

I would agree. I think it's mainly coz of the relaxed immigration laws in Canada plus having a low population where any immigrant community can be more visible.

Also, don't forget that Canada is more sparse and people tend to concentrate in cities so you can see these 'abberations' more vividly.

I have a Portuguese Canadian friend who calls Vancouver as HongCouver due to the many people from Hong Kong there. Schools are mostly populated by them and Filipinos!

Did you know that there 100 Millions living in over 7000 islands in the Philippines? Talks about being scattered!

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There may be 7000 islands but how many of them are bare of population? Or maybe only a few people living there? Metropolitan Manila is the most densely populated city, if memory serves me correctly, in the world. But that is another thing that is great about the Philippines! If you want a metropolitan life in the big city, you can have it! Or life in a smaller city... Or a small town... In the country / province... Or even on an island by yourself! It's all there to enjoy!!!

:dance:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If you want a metropolitan life in the big city, you can have it! Or life in a smaller city... Or a small town... In the country / province... Or even on an island by yourself! It's all there to enjoy!!!

And that may be why filipinos like Canada. You can have all that right there. Even the weather is great if you go to one of the Gulf Islands near Victoria.

• Like 2

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

Wow .. I wouldn't have guessed. I believe it's easier to immigrate to Canada and the language and culture would be familiar to many. For the US there about 500,000 Filipinos on the visa waiting list --- 400,000 are family sponsorship (brothers, sisters, etc). The waiting time for family sponsorship is 24 years! So if you have a brother residing in the US, it makes sense to immigrate to Canada -- makes visting a lot easier plus the economic opportunity there is just as good if not better than in the US.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hehe! I'll just be content and keep on going the other way soon!

:mocking:

Will
Posted
Posted

Kinda reminds me of a song...

:no:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. Some suprising but not very much, because of

/immigration rules

/many don't know much about other kano countries except where there know some Filipinos immigrants/OFW. I have heared questions as e g:

-Is Greece a state in USA?

when talking about Euro currency... :)

• Like 1

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

If you find yourself thinking about what to wear before going out, then you are in the wrong place!

Canada wise... well, even Vancouver now is cloudy, gloomy, rainy (almost every day) and at 5 C!! What's the purpose of living there?

Sorry Bob. Not my cup of tea :attention:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If you find yourself thinking about what to wear before going out, then you are in the wrong place!

Canada wise... well, even Vancouver now is cloudy, gloomy, rainy (almost every day) and at 5 C!! What's the purpose of living there?

Sorry Bob. Not my cup of tea :attention:

And some people wonder why I want to leave? Right now my knees are feeling like I have been hitting them with a hammer for a couple days...! If I want to worry about what to wear, I want to be where it will be between a pair of shorts or a bathing suit! Or maybe even nothing at all... !

:mocking: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: