Aggh Another Holiday When Going To Immigration

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

Today we planned a trip to immigration to pick up my icard. We get there after some hours of travel and organization to find it shut for another holiday. The 2nd to last time we travelled from another island for a 4 day trip to also find the office closed (cebu) so we had to stay for the whole weekend.

Even my wife was surprised as she had no idea it was a holiday again and even she is saying "welcome to the Philippines" a lot lately :) - Apparently it is some Muslim holiday or something!

Does anyone know of a website that provides a list of all the holidays in Cebu each year where Government offices are closed?

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I have only seen a list telling what holidays are "obligatoric" free if employ people, I suppose there can be more.

(I can look it up, if you want to. It's saved somewhere among much other rules.)

• Like 2

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

How about making it a rule to call and double check beforehand? Now don't tell me even that is not a sure thing? :bash:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Does anyone know of a website that provides a list of all the holidays in Cebu each year where Government offices are closed?

Google "philippine holidays 2012" and you will find plenty. There are 3 Cebu-specific local holidays, you can find those also. I counted 20 total, another coming up Thursday.

• Like 3

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

As Mike B said, thee are plenty of google sources for the dates. However, be aware, some of the holidays can end up being "declared" holidays. It is a long and controversial issue here. It goes beyond inconvenience and into employment and management of personnel resources. Employers have legal obligations regarding pay for holidays. NSO, even if you were turned away at the government office, the malls were open and employees were enjoying the benefits of some extra pay. Small comfort, I know.

I had a similarly frustrating experience at the US Consulate in Cebu. The consular officer told us to come in to conduct our business and advised of the office hours etc. Unfortunately, we make travel plans as well, and were thwarted at the entrance. Couldn't get past the security guard. people were inside, business was as usual, but the guard prevented us from entering. Tried calling, but no one inside would answer the phone (too busy with other clients?).

I had lived here long enough to expect this, so made the most of it and spent the night.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
How about making it a rule to call and double check beforehand? Now don't tell me even that is not a sure thing?

Wait until after Christmas and you will see that even that is not a sure thing. A couple Christmases ago I asked Paul (expat services) if he could use his contacts to find out what days they would be open over Christmas. Not a chance. They close for a lot of days over Christmas but even the employees are not sure exactly what days they are closed until the last minute. If you have to renew a visa over Christmas/New Year, do it before Dec 15 (was what Paul told me then but maybe he will chime in here and confirm if that is still the norm).

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
How about making it a rule to call and double check beforehand? Now don't tell me even that is not a sure thing?

Wait until after Christmas and you will see that even that is not a sure thing. A couple Christmases ago I asked Paul (expat services) if he could use his contacts to find out what days they would be open over Christmas. Not a chance. They close for a lot of days over Christmas but even the employees are not sure exactly what days they are closed until the last minute. If you have to renew a visa over Christmas/New Year, do it before Dec 15 (was what Paul told me then but maybe he will chime in here and confirm if that is still the norm).

Argh!!!!!!

I was just thinking about this issue of visa renewal over Christmas. I will arrive Dec 8, so visa must be obtained by Dec 29.

Sounds like I need to ask on arrival if I can get it done then... let them know I would like to stay and have "More fun in the Philippines" over New Years.

This will be my fourth visit in last year. Longest to this point has been 2 weeks. This time I am planning to stay for 2-3 months.

Ohh... I now have an official date for my last day worked before retirement... Dec 6. Just under 6 weeks left. :) :) :)

• Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

How about making it a rule to call and double check beforehand? Now don't tell me even that is not a sure thing? :bash:

yes this is hassle. with a child in school, I am not made aware until the day before most times,

SUCH A PAIN IN THE :buttkick: even when I ask in advance, they dont seem to know. matter of fact I dont think anyone knows til the last moment,

Google "philippine holidays 2012" and you will find plenty. There are 3 Cebu-specific local holidays, you can find those also. I counted 20 total, another coming up Thursday.

sometimes it appears that they just coin-toss to decide if a holiday will occur,

perhaps asking a local bank may help, but again . a holiday in one city would not be in another.

about VISA and other government services you may need. WHY NOT DO IT IN ADVANCE? at least 5-7days? if visa is due to be renewed on 12th. go on the 5th?

NOW w/ ACR I- card its much less of a hassle.

• Like 3

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

The Holidays are posted on the door of BOI in Davao, even early closing

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

You might try this ..... use Google calendar .... I have mine set for Philippine holidays .... then check with your local banking officer and ask him or her what the extra holidays will be for your area at the beginning of each year ...... just write them into your Google calender and wala ...... your good to go ..... for the spur of the moment holidays .... I don't have a clue and neither do they ..... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2