For Those From Northern Climates - Has Your Body Adjusted To The Hot Humid Climate?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

From my last visit in Sept there are a number of pictures of me where you can see in the picture on my shirt that I had been sweating a great deal.

So I have been thinking about what I can do about this.

One thing would be to change how I dress so that when I sweat it isn't as obvious. Perhaps wear a t-shirt underneath another shirt or wear shirts that don't show sweat as much.

One thing is that when sweating a great deal more I will need to ensure I stay hydrated.

For those of you who have lived in the Philippines for a while, has your body adjusted to the heat and humidity?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I don`t sweat very much but as my hair is thinning I have to wear a hat in the sun or the heat affects me. But I don`t use aircon in the house so I guess I have adapted well.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)
For those of you who have lived in the Philippines for a while, has your body adjusted to the heat and humidity?

NO! :angry: I am from Wisconsin originally. I have lived in Georgia for 10 years and now the Philippines for 6 months. I sweat really heavily :why-me: anytime outside and when I was in Georgia I would spend the entire day outside with only aircon at night. My solution in the Philippines is NO shirt and I stay in the a/c most of the time. When I do go places that require a top I'll go in the evening or early morning to avoid the heat of the day. That works well for me.

Some say that if you've had a heat injury before, heat exhaustion or heat stroke, that it will cause you to sweat more heavily. I've had one in the past and find that MAY be true. I DO DEHYDRATE pretty easily so watch the urine and push the water if it starts getting dark or smelling heady. :36_6_3[1]:

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I don`t sweat very much but as my hair is thinning I have to wear a hat in the sun or the heat affects me. But I don`t use aircon in the house so I guess I have adapted well.

Same with me. 14 years ago I spent a week in New Orleans in June. I got a terrible sunburn on my scalp. Since then I have gotten in the habit of wearing a hat anytime I am outside.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I live in the desert in the US so I'm used to heat, but I never adjusted to the humidity in the Philippines. I lived in Baguio most of the time so it wasn't really an issue there. But in the summers and anytime we came down off the mountain I sweated profusely. When we lived in Manila, I'd sweat 24/7. I found a fan helped more than aircon did to cool me off. I also took 4-5 showers per day to cope with the heat.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well I was cold last night without ac. I had to put a t shirt on in bed.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It is not quite 9 pm yet but the weather app on my phone says it feels like it is Minus 1 degree C outside... And I"m not gonna wear a t-shirt to bed tonight... We done got that new fangled indoor firebox here in Canada... :mocking: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Seriously, I have suffered through several episodes of heat stroke and a multitude of burns and I can say that they do not affect if you sweat more afterwards or not. What will cause you to sweat more is being out of shape (me), overweight (me) and wearing dark clothes next to your skin (no undershirt) (me). So once we are all in shape and have exercised more, we should all go out and buy cool cotton shirts only and wear a light coloured undershirt that breaths. I haven't noticed it so much in the Philippines but look in China and Taiwan - all the men wear that light-weight breathable cotton undershirt and you never see seriously wet outer shirts - even long sleeve dress shirts are dry!

:mocking:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

its getting cold here now so a extra layer of clothing is needed no shorts for work, i dont sweat much at all on my trips to the phils but thats just on holiday, like some have said you do see lots of little towels around peoples necks,

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I hear that they sell them on the street in the business areas... And that they are big sellers! Sounds good to me!

:mocking: