Best Areas In Cebu City?

philip
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone! I'm planning to stay in Cebu City for a month in April. First time in the Philippines, just looking to get the feel of the place and meet people. If it matters, I'm a single guy, late 30s, traveling solo. I'm looking for a furnished apartment for the month and while I've found some sites that have decent offerings, I'm not sure where the best places to stay are. I won't have a car, so I need something walkable. I imagine the downside with an area with lots of restaurants and shops is that there will be high traffic/pollution, but I imagine there's no choice in the matter.

From that, it seems the most recommended places are those in walking distance to Ayala Center or Fuente Osmena. Is that about right, and are there other places I should consider?

I'll be doing software development by day, so I'm also looking for a place with the following:

high speed internet (willing to pay extra; direct connection would be great, but it seems that Smart Bro/Globe may be the only option?)

office chair/desk

A/C

kitchen

relatively quiet

Seems hotels aren't interested in longer term stays, or aren't willing to drop their rates to get the business, but I see other options out there.

BTW, one curious thing I've noticed is that almost no apartment complex or even hotel seems to list a gym. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

Thanks much,

Philip

S123
Posted
Posted (edited)

Perhaps this could be of interest: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have seen better links to that apartelle but could not find it in my favourites, just google for it.

Note from JGF

This is allowed , http://www.apartelledearcenas.com/

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
its OK for a direct link to a hotel etc but not to other sites such as blogs and forums as per rules.
  • Like 3

gmb8585
Posted
Posted

you may want to check this place out in Mabolo, walking distance to Ayala, SM. Lahug etc. Not sure if they will rent just a month but they do short term http://strawberryresidencescebu.com/

• Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

The first says it has no wifi and the second makes no mention of it in their amenity list

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone! I'm planning to stay in Cebu City for a month in April. First time in the Philippines, just looking to get the feel of the place and meet people. If it matters, I'm a single guy, late 30s, traveling solo. I'm looking for a furnished apartment for the month and while I've found some sites that have decent offerings, I'm not sure where the best places to stay are. I won't have a car, so I need something walkable. I imagine the downside with an area with lots of restaurants and shops is that there will be high traffic/pollution, but I imagine there's no choice in the matter.

From that, it seems the most recommended places are those in walking distance to Ayala Center or Fuente Osmena. Is that about right, and are there other places I should consider?

I'll be doing software development by day, so I'm also looking for a place with the following:

high speed internet (willing to pay extra; direct connection would be great, but it seems that Smart Bro/Globe may be the only option?)

office chair/desk

A/C

kitchen

relatively quiet

Seems hotels aren't interested in longer term stays, or aren't willing to drop their rates to get the business, but I see other options out there.

BTW, one curious thing I've noticed is that almost no apartment complex or even hotel seems to list a gym. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

Thanks much,

Philip

Welcome

Maybe a budget would help here as we have no idea of how much you are looking at spending. We could recommend the Marriott or a pension house so a budget is always the starting point. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

i have never been to cebu, and really i have only visited the phils twice so i am new to all this, on both my visits our first base was the marriott in manila and we just travelled from there, borocay for a few weeks and then back to manila, the next visit we again stayed at the marriott then we stayed with the family for a few days, that was better then i thought but a few days was enough for me, i love my own space to wake up when i want eat when i want sort of thing, dont get me wrong Ems dad could not do enough for us, we then went to bicol for a few weeks with the whole family and back to manila, the next time we will not be using the marriott but where else do we use, yes i want to be in bohol for at least 2 to 3 weeks, but have to see the family in marikina and cavite too, any ideas where we can stay,a apartment would be great 2 bedroom if possible

S123
Posted
Posted

Perhaps this could be of interest: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have seen better links to that apartelle but could not find it in my favourites, just google for it.

Note from JGF

This is allowed , http://www.apartelledearcenas.com/

Ok, sorry for that.

But the link you put there is not the place I am referring to. The Apartelle I was referring to is on Escario street, not in Banilad.

philip
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone!

Sorry I forgot to post my budget, it's 40K PHP/mo. for a fully furnished apartment as described. I imagine I'll have to pay extra for high speed internet and utilities. I've seen a couple vacation rentals in the Crown Regency complex (Fuente Towers?) that seem to fit the bill, but are a little over my budget.

I'll send a note to Strawberry and see what their internet policy is. Googling found "The Apartelle Cebu" on Beyond Cebu, but they list no wifi (I'm never exactly sure if people say no because they have a wired connection, but I'm assuming not since it's a budget place).

A friend of mine is from Cebu and asked her family where to stay, and they suggested the City Park Inn as well.

As I look around, am I right that Ayala and Fuente Osmena are the areas to look at? Thanks again!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If Internet is important get your own SmartBro or Globe Tattoo stick instead of relying on hotel wifi. My experience is that hotels have low quality, unreliable wifi that is often only available in selected areas. Wired Internet in a hotel is rare, but I don't stay in 40K a month places so one would hope it is better there.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I would agree with Dave. Grab yourself an LTE stick and service and go from there. You could probably find a much better place to stay for the money if you don't have to worry about internet being provided.