U S Postal Mail And Package Forwarding Services

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I made my choice. I went with Traveling Mailbox with the $15/month plan. They seemed to have the best mix of price and features to meet my needs.

Now I need to get that USPS form 1583 filed and schedule to get my postal mail forwarded.

Once I am confident in their services I will change my address with banks and other institutions to the new address for those who I still need to receive mail from.

Then eventually drop the mail forwarding to stop receiving mail from all those organizations I am no longer interested in or need.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

After looking at them more last night I was about decided to use Traveling Mailbox because not only could I keep a Texas address but actually keep a Dallas address. So for me that works out well. I was just a bit confused about their pricing structure. They list mail forwarding and package forwarding almost like they are different.

I get the impression that mail forwarding includes packages, but the cheaper option of package forwarding does not include mail management?? I am not usually this easily confused but their site was odd... or I was drunk...

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

After looking at them more last night I was about decided to use Traveling Mailbox because not only could I keep a Texas address but actually keep a Dallas address. So for me that works out well. I was just a bit confused about their pricing structure. They list mail forwarding and package forwarding almost like they are different.

I get the impression that mail forwarding includes packages, but the cheaper option of package forwarding does not include mail management?? I am not usually this easily confused but their site was odd... or I was drunk...

Yes, that is correct.

WIth Traveling Mailbox you can signup just for package forwarding for $10/month. Or you can sign up for a virtual mailbox at $15/month which includes package forwarding.

So the $15/month mailbox plan includes both.

I signed up last night using a Tallahassee, FL address. Filled out the USPS 1583 today and got it notarized. Then emailed them a scan of the finished USPS 1583 and scans of two ID's and my mailbox is all setup. Took less than 24 hours.

Next I think I will send some mail to my new address so I can test my new account before I setup long term forwarding for my visit in Dec.

• Like 4

GregZ
Posted
Posted
I plan on making a trip to either FL or TX, wherever my street address is to establish residency by getting DL, voter registration, etc.

Have you looked at the state requirements :10001: for establishing residency, issuance of state ID, driver license, voter reg, etc? I believe Florida requires a utility bill or something else to prove a residence to even get a state identification card issued. I haven't checked for a while so don't take my word on that; I'm just giving an example of a requirement. I'd really like to know what you find :3_12_31[1]: if you look into this, especially Florida.

This thread has some great information. Thanks for sharing all. :dance:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Have you looked at the state requirements for establishing residency, issuance of state ID, driver license, voter reg, etc? I believe Florida requires a utility bill or something else to prove a residence to even get a state identification card issued. I haven't checked for a while so don't take my word on that; I'm just giving an example of a requirement. I'd really like to know what you find if you look into this, especially Florida.

Here is what I found for Florida, I think I will be able to meet the requirements for 2 proofs of residential address by changing home address with my employer so my w-2 reflects the new address and financial institutions:

Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number (if issued, Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department see proof of social security number for the issuance of driver license and identification cards) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued. The name assigned to the social security number must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or identification card. If you have recently changed your name, update your records with the Social Security Administration before you apply for your license or identification card.

Each U.S. citizen renewing or applying for a new driver license or identification card in person after January 1, 2010 must submit:

(You will not be required to present these documents for subsequent renewals unless your information - last name, address etc - changes)

1Primary Identification

Gather one original or certified copy of the following documents:

• Certified United States birth certificate, including territories and District of Columbia
  • Valid United States Passport or Passport Card
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561

NOTES

A birth certificate must be issued by a government agency. Hospital birth certificates cannot be accepted.

Please come prepared to present one of the listed identification documents as proof of citizenship or legal presence.

When necessary, marriage certificates, court orders, or divorce decrees must be provided to tie the name on the primary identification to the name the customer would like to place on the driver license or identification card.

If presenting a valid U.S. Passport and the name on your passport is your current name, you are not required to present additional name change documents.

2Proof of Social Security Number

Gather one original of the following documents that show your complete name and social security number:

• Social Security card
    must be an original in your current full name
  • W-2 form (not handwritten)
  • Pay check/stub

• SSA-1099
  • Any 1099 (not handwritten)
  • None - see note below

I don't have a Social Security Number

32 Proofs of Residential Address

Gather TWO different documents from the following list showing your residential address: (internet printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable)

Note: Your current driver license or ID card may not be used as proof of residential address. Proof must come from two different types of source.

• Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
  • Florida Voter Registration Card
  • Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
    Print a duplicate registration atwww.gorenew.com
  • Florida Boat Registration or Title (if living on a boat/houseboat)
    Print a duplicate registration atwww.gorenew.com
  • Two proofs of residential address from applicant's parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides, along with (see next)
  • A statement from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides, combined with two proofs of their residential address (see above)
  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application
  • Automobile Payment Booklet
  • Selective Service Card
  • Medical or health card with address listed
  • Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
  • Current automobile insurance policy or bill

• Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year
  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
  • W-2 form or 1099 form
  • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house verifying that they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by the Certification of Address Form (see next)
  • Certification of Address Form combined with a letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house (see above)
  • Utility bills, not more than two months old
  • Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than two months old
  • Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies (including city and county agencies)
  • Transients – Sexual Offender/Predator/Career Offender: - FDLE Registration form completed by local sheriff’s department

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is another related topic that may have some useful info.

Hosea
Posted
Posted

Retired City Letter Carrier here. Best advice I can give is to visit your local US Post Office. Hopefully there are some really intelligent clerks there. The best thing to do is to ask who the head clerk is. There isn't really such a title but there is always a clerk or a few clerks that management practically let run the place. They are always going to some kind of training. More so than anyone else in the office does.

If you have a relative or friend that you trust with your private things and is willing to help. Ask them if they can scan and email you the outside of first class mail. More than likely anything less than first class is only junk. Be careful about that though because there are some banks and a few others that just don't care. They are only looking to safe a few percentages of a penny and will use bulk mailings to send statements or other such mailings they don't care if you get. After you see the outside of the envelope you pretty much know if you need them to mail it to you, scan the inside sheets or just dispose of it (shred it). Always shred mailing labels even if they are on magazines.

Two things I suggest if you want your mail sent to you. There is no cheaper way that I know of other than https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-international.htm. The only advantage of using UPS or FEDEX is the tracking and fast delivery time. You will pay dearly for that service. With USPS the Postal Service is no longer responsible once your package leaves the US. It may sit in Manila for a long time. Most times it takes about two to three weeks to Mindanao. If you are getting a lot of stuff (which is always fun for the whole family) have it shipped http://forexworld.com/ if they are in your area. Best shipping company I have ever used. I have yet to have customs open any box that I have shipped here in the Philippines. Nothing has ever been missing or broken. They are nice and eager to help you get the best service. A really fun thing but a great service as well is when your package arrives at it's destination, the courier will take a picture of the receiver holding the shipping order in full view of the packages and mail it back to the sender. Down side is Forex or other similar shippers do just that, they ship your things to you. Don't put any pies or cakes in there. You can put a Twinkie in there. Those thing last til the end of time. Sorry, maybe they don't out last poor management. Anyway, it takes up to 52 days so if you aren't going to be out of country that long or at least close to that amount of time, it just may not be worth doing any shipping. Just put your mail on an extended hold at the Post office. Just inform them you may be gone more than 30 days. By law the Postal Service can't keep your mail more than 30 days without your approval.

One last thing. Get a Post Office Box when you are here. In my view, every time your mail or package touches another hand, the better the chance you won't get it. Not saying something will happen to it in the Post Office but more of my mail goes to neighbors than to me. We have a community address so the mailman only tries to get close to where we live. Everyone here knows us but then it is the family member that gets our mail and doesn't pass it on.

I am so happy I am retired from that place! I really loved serving my customers. Couldn't stand management. Congress and postal management is the reason that company is going under.

Hope some of this helps....

• Like 2

Hosea
Posted
Posted

One thing I did leave out but it has been very valuable to me is Magic Jack. For those of you that are not aware of Magic Jack or just haven't taken a look at it, it is an electronic device you plug into one of your USB ports directly. Newer ones don't require your computer to be on but I have not upgraded. Just doesn't seem needed.

What Magic Jack does is to allow you to have a local phone number from where you can call anywhere in the continental US without normal charges. Now that I am in the Philippines I can call anywhere in the US without the heavy fees from direct calling services from here. Friends, family and business in the US can call a local number instead of an international number that would cost them greatly. If I am not online, all calls will go to voice mail and sent to my email where I can listen to it from there. If I am out and about, it goes as well to my smart phone (accessed through my email).

I have read and heard many complaints about this product even from my stepson that worked in one of their Philippine call centers, I still feel it is worth it. I don't sell Magic Jack and even if I did I wouldn't attempt to sell them on this forum. This is why I didn't include a link to their page. It is just something that has worked for me and it may work for you as well. If anyone has alternatives, please post. I think it is very helpful to have basically free phone service between countries.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I bought a Magic Jack and put a U.S. 214 area code number on it. I have not moved yet so not sure how well it works. But I bought it on the recommendation from my brother. He bought it and uses it as his home number here in the States. He just bought it because it was cheaper than a regular phone. But now he takes it with him when he travels and can call back to Texas as a local call. He raves about it.

I have read some bad reviews online about it but so far it works great at my house.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I bought a Magic Jack and put a U.S. 214 area code number on it. I have not moved yet so not sure how well it works. But I bought it on the recommendation from my brother. He bought it and uses it as his home number here in the States. He just bought it because it was cheaper than a regular phone. But now he takes it with him when he travels and can call back to Texas as a local call. He raves about it.

I have read some bad reviews online about it but so far it works great at my house.

Been using one here in the Phils for over 5 years and 1 year before that in the US ..... best thing that could ever happen for the phone service .... if you have a good & fast connection here and call back to the US it works great ..... I have to use it every 3 months to renew my status with my CC .... so I can use my CC here in the Phils ...... :cheersty:

• Like 2