U S Postal Mail And Package Forwarding Services

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I bought a Magic Jack and put a U.S. 214 area code number on it. I have not moved yet so not sure how well it works. But I bought it on the recommendation from my brother. He bought it and uses it as his home number here in the States. He just bought it because it was cheaper than a regular phone. But now he takes it with him when he travels and can call back to Texas as a local call. He raves about it.

I have read some bad reviews online about it but so far it works great at my house.

Been using one here in the Phils for over 5 years and 1 year before that in the US ..... best thing that could ever happen for the phone service .... if you have a good & fast connection here and call back to the US it works great ..... I have to use it every 3 months to renew my status with my CC .... so I can use my CC here in the Phils ...... :cheersty:

I have opened online accounts with my bank/CC companies. With all of them I can now schedule my cards for international travel using their website.

But I also just purchased a MagicJack for those times when I need to make phone calls back to the US, especially if the call needs to originate from a US phone number.

• Like 3

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I also use Magic Jack....Hasn't let me down yet.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)
More than likely anything less than first class is only junk. Be careful about that though because there are some banks and a few others that just don't care.

Some use bulk rate to cover up actual contents also. Since the bad guys don't like to go through bulk mail to find credit cards. :541:

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 1

Hosea
Posted
Posted
More than likely anything less than first class is only junk. Be careful about that though because there are some banks and a few others that just don't care.

Some use bulk rate to cover up actual contents also. Since the bad guys don't like to go through bulk mail to find credit cards. :541:

I believe you may be right to a certain point GregZ. That may be one of the reasons, but if you see how many statements banks like BofA sends out you might think everyone in your city must bank there. I think they are trying to keep their cost down to keep more of your money (fees) for themselves. If they are attempting to phyc the bad guys it really isn't a great way because of they way the Postal Service handles mail that is not deliverable. Believe me, we toss a lot daily. Don't worry, postal workers are very careful in what they throw out. There is a system to protect against throwing away good mail. Even after mail that is determined not deliverable, it is put aside for final checking for deliverable or forwardable postage paid that may have been missed by the first pass through clerks and then carriers, it is put in a dumpster which is locked until a contracted waste management company comes to get it.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
JulieReeves
Posted
Posted

Do you want something like parcelbound.com . You have your packages mailed to their warehouse and they they batch ship them to the UK for you. I haven't used them, but maybe someone else has?

• 2 months later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

After 6 months I finally needed to have my first package of postal mail forwarded to me from TravelingMailbox. It was sent UPS and cost $52. It only took 5 days to arrive. I only expect to have to do this once or twice a year at the most so the cost isn't prohibitive for me. I had several small refund checks that had accumulated over 6 months plus my new credit card had just arrived. The new credit card (CapitalOne) failed when trying to activate the card via their website. But using MagicJack I was able to use VOIP to call their toll free number and get the card activated.

It must have been very difficult to manage your affairs as an expat before all the neat internet services which enable living remotely became available in the last 10 years.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I had Traveling Mailbox deposit a check for me.  It is a $5 fee but if the check is large enough it can be worth it ($500 refund from my mortgage co.).   I only have a peso account here... I may have to get a dollar account one of these days.  But my forwarded mail takes about a month to get to me out here. 

Mail forwarding may have been around but without the internet it would have completely different! 

I have been trying to get my 2012 W-2 from my last job so I could file my 2012 federal taxes.  I finally got it last week, at my service and they post a pdf online so I could use it the day it came in instead of waiting for it to forward.  I will have my refund before the W-2 can get forwarded to me.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I agree about the internet. It has made a huge difference in getting stuff you could never get here along with staying in touch cheaply.

I too use a Magic Jack. I have 2 (one Magic Jack plus and one original). I have also loaded the 2 numbers into our cell phones (works on Android and Apple). So we can make/receive calls over WiFi for free no matter where we are in the world. I use mine all of the time. 

Another option for mail is if you are retired military, you can get a letter mail box at one of the Retirement Activity Offices (RAOs). You can receive normal letter sized or magazine sized mail up to 14 oz. I know there is one in Angeles, Baguio, Olongapo and Cebu. The one in Olongapo charges $50 a year, which covers the cost of running the place. The workers are all volunteers. I have that address registered for all of my Credit Cards, Bank Accounts and Investment accounts. Even though I have gone paperless I do still on occasion get mail from them. I have been able to get new bank checks (came unboxed in a magazine sized package) and even got my magic jack plus thru this mailbox.

I have had crappy luck in getting anything sent here via Fedex or DHL without issue, along with still having to pay tariffs on delivery. Sending out is not the issue, receiving is the problem. Once it hits country it could 1-2 weeks sometimes. It's really absurd. For my incoming shipments I use a Cargo Forwarder. If it is small, it costs me about $30 (paid by CC and shipped by Sea Container) and all of the packages are delivered door to door without any charge upon delivery. If the package is less than 10lbs. and meets Airline restrictions, they can ship via Air but costs around $85 and delivered within a week. 

My employer emailed me my W2 and I was able to file mid-February without issue. I have used Turbo Tax the last 6 years without issue. 

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Have you looked at the state requirements for establishing residency, issuance of state ID, driver license, voter reg, etc? I believe Florida requires a utility bill or something else to prove a residence to even get a state identification card issued. I haven't checked for a while so don't take my word on that; I'm just giving an example of a requirement. I'd really like to know what you find if you look into this, especially Florida.

Here is what I found for Florida, I think I will be able to meet the requirements for 2 proofs of residential address by changing home address with my employer so my w-2 reflects the new address and financial institutions:

Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number (if issued, Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department see proof of social security number for the issuance of driver license and identification cards) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued. The name assigned to the social security number must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or identification card. If you have recently changed your name, update your records with the Social Security Administration before you apply for your license or identification card.

Each U.S. citizen renewing or applying for a new driver license or identification card in person after January 1, 2010 must submit:

(You will not be required to present these documents for subsequent renewals unless your information - last name, address etc - changes)

1Primary Identification

Gather one original or certified copy of the following documents:

• Certified United States birth certificate, including territories and District of Columbia
  • Valid United States Passport or Passport Card
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561

NOTES

A birth certificate must be issued by a government agency. Hospital birth certificates cannot be accepted.

Please come prepared to present one of the listed identification documents as proof of citizenship or legal presence.

When necessary, marriage certificates, court orders, or divorce decrees must be provided to tie the name on the primary identification to the name the customer would like to place on the driver license or identification card.

If presenting a valid U.S. Passport and the name on your passport is your current name, you are not required to present additional name change documents.

2Proof of Social Security Number

Gather one original of the following documents that show your complete name and social security number:

• Social Security card

must be an original in your current full name

• W-2 form (not handwritten)
  • Pay check/stub
  • SSA-1099
  • Any 1099 (not handwritten)
  • None - see note below

I don't have a Social Security Number

32 Proofs of Residential Address

Gather TWO different documents from the following list showing your residential address: (internet printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable)

Note: Your current driver license or ID card may not be used as proof of residential address. Proof must come from two different types of source.

• Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
  • Florida Voter Registration Card
  • Florida Vehicle Registration or Title

Print a duplicate registration atwww.gorenew.com

• Florida Boat Registration or Title (if living on a boat/houseboat)

Print a duplicate registration atwww.gorenew.com

• Two proofs of residential address from applicant's parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides, along with (see next)
  • A statement from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides, combined with two proofs of their residential address (see above)
  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application
  • Automobile Payment Booklet
  • Selective Service Card
  • Medical or health card with address listed
  • Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
  • Current automobile insurance policy or bill
  • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year
  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
  • W-2 form or 1099 form
  • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house verifying that they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by the Certification of Address Form (see next)
  • Certification of Address Form combined with a letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house (see above)
  • Utility bills, not more than two months old
  • Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than two months old
  • Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies (including city and county agencies)
  • Transients – Sexual Offender/Predator/Career Offender: - FDLE Registration form completed by local sheriff’s department
  •  

Also, you can contact the DHSMV direct and request a Civilian Out of Country Renewal packet. I was able to convince them to send me one (already renewed once online). Once processed, they will mail it to my RAO Mailbox. The only down side is that it has to be notarized. The only US Notary is at the Embassy or Consulate and they charge $50 to notarize. $50, travel to/from the Embassy/Consulate is a heck of lot cheaper than flying back to the States. I plan on going to the states sometime in the 18 months before my new one expires and renewing in person. Then I can renew the next one online and go from there. 

• Like 2