Trip To Dalaguete

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You are having way too much fun on your roads trips! I'm jealous! Now I will have to get a car sooner than later! :dance:

• Like 4

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

looking forward to your video mikey ..............

where did you start btw??????????

Mike S
Posted
Posted

looking forward to your video mikey ..............

where did you start btw??????????

Ash ... we left from Cebu city but only shot the video on the way back from Dalaguete to Cebu ..... we almost made it back before the battery gave out just before the Cebu Coastal Road ..... I bought a USB car charger but forgot the USB cord for the video cam at home ..... hence the battery went dead but I did film most of it .... :cheersty:

You are having way too much fun on your roads trips! I'm jealous! Now I will have to get a car sooner than later! :dance:

OnMyWay ...... well it is different once you learn to drive here ..... at first it was scary and I had to make myself drive ..... but after driving around mostly on Sunday and learning to drive all over again I kinda look forward to our Sat and Sun drives ...... there is much less traffic here in the city then as no students so less jeepney's ...... Sunday is even better ..... got a video taken going to SM Mall ...... but I haven't mastered the video editing program yet so I can show it ..... I even will have to split it up so people with slow connections can view it and it is only about 20 mins ..... but I have so many new gadgets and programs to learn to use my poor old tired brain sometimes refuses to function ...... but I'm working on it .... :hystery: :hystery: ...... :cheersty:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
OnMyWay ...... well it is different once you learn to drive here ..... at first it was scary and I had to make myself drive ..... but after driving around mostly on Sunday and learning to drive all over again I kinda look forward to our Sat and Sun drives ...... there is much less traffic here in the city then as no students so less jeepney's ...... Sunday is even better ..... got a video taken going to SM Mall ...... but I haven't mastered the video editing program yet so I can show it ..... I even will have to split it up so people with slow connections can view it and it is only about 20 mins ..... but I have so many new gadgets and programs to learn to use my poor old tired brain sometimes refuses to function ...... but I'm working on it .... ......

I have been trying to get myself mentally prepared by observing while riding in vans, taxis, jeeps and trikes. All of the sneaky driving techniques that would start a fist fight in the U.S., I will have to use! Driving down the wrong side of the road? No problem! Straddling 2 lanes on the expressway? No problem! If I get a motorbike, driving on the side (walk?), no problem!

Good suspension and big fat bumpers will be my friends!

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
OnMyWay ...... well it is different once you learn to drive here ..... at first it was scary and I had to make myself drive ..... but after driving around mostly on Sunday and learning to drive all over again I kinda look forward to our Sat and Sun drives ...... there is much less traffic here in the city then as no students so less jeepney's ...... Sunday is even better ..... got a video taken going to SM Mall ...... but I haven't mastered the video editing program yet so I can show it ..... I even will have to split it up so people with slow connections can view it and it is only about 20 mins ..... but I have so many new gadgets and programs to learn to use my poor old tired brain sometimes refuses to function ...... but I'm working on it .... ......

I have been trying to get myself mentally prepared by observing while riding in vans, taxis, jeeps and trikes. All of the sneaky driving techniques that would start a fist fight in the U.S., I will have to use! Driving down the wrong side of the road? No problem! Straddling 2 lanes on the expressway? No problem! If I get a motorbike, driving on the side (walk?), no problem!

Good suspension and big fat bumpers will be my friends!

Hello OnMyWay,

You should be commended for studying the driving habits of a typical Filipino driver. Additionally, there are a couple things

you should consider: having the baddest and the loudest horn and not afraid to use it every few seconds. I prefer a truck

air horn that can wake up the dead.....he, he.

And finally having the larger gonads when entering any type of intersection. That is especially true blazing through a turn

circle without slowing down at all. It's not for the faint of heart, believe me......he, he.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Mike Did you come into Dalaguete town? Was the place called TCs or Ocean bay?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
All of the sneaky driving techniques that would start a fist fight in the U.S., I will have to use!

You really do not have to go that far although the others will. Drive politely, even when others cannot, even when others will not. It shows what you are made of. I have less respect for the foreigners driving like locals because they know better and, what the heck, we are retired. Not like we have to get to work on time. Its what I do and my wife is constantly telling me how proud she is of my driving. That is reward enough.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
All of the sneaky driving techniques that would start a fist fight in the U.S., I will have to use!

You really do not have to go that far although the others will. Drive politely, even when others cannot, even when others will not. It shows what you are made of. I have less respect for the foreigners driving like locals because they know better and, what the heck, we are retired. Not like we have to get to work on time. Its what I do and my wife is constantly telling me how proud she is of my driving. That is reward enough.

Yeah, I know. I was exaggerating! There is no way I could ever drive quite like a local. I am usually very polite and I enjoy letting cars in, etc,, just as I enjoy opening doors for people, etc. I don't think that will quite work here, most of the time, because I will be getting nowhere!

I think that mentally what I need to adjust to is the "rude" things that the other drivers will be doing. I have to just accept the perceived "rudeness" as "normal" and not get upset about it.

I drove in Europe for 4 years and that took a while to get used to. Certainly no comparison to getting used to driving here, but it can be done!

BTW, after 4 weeks here, my formally high blood pressure is now normal. I don't want it going back up because of driving!

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Mike Did you come into Dalaguete town? Was the place called TCs or Ocean bay?

Not sure ..... :hystery: :hystery: ...... but when we made the hair-pin turn and headed what looked like away from the ocean the place was behind a high concrete wall ..... if my poor old memory servers me correctly it was I believe coral pink or maybe orange or some color in between .... :mocking: .... anyway when you drive in the restaurant is on the left and the Motel on the right ...... they had a ships bell hanging at the bar for shouting drinks during happy hour so I assume it is owned or was owned by a foreigner .....

By the way as that is in your neck of the woods it looked very peaceful and serene but not a whole lot to do there .... which would be fine for me ..... as I enjoy the peace and quite ..... going to look for something like that when we get to Negros ..... just maybe a little closer to some sort of health-care ..... :cheersty:

• Like 1