Just Bought A New Cellphone

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I've had it a few days now trying to get used to it ..... first time I've had an Android OS but besides not being a M$ OS it does fairly good ...... :mocking: ..... I mainly got it because of the GPS feature and WiFi capability and the fact that it has a 3.2 MP camera which as much as I hate to say it is almost the same as my Nikon CoolPix ...... so far I love it and the GPS worked flawless when we went to Dalaguete ..... I have never had a GPS before and found it extremely useful for predicting the road ahead .....

Anyway it is a MyPhone 858 Duo ..... here is the specks on it

http://www.myphone.com.ph/#!a858-duo/c1a0l

Now I can almost text messages as fast as my asawa .... if I turn it sideways and make the keyboard larger .... the touch screen is VERY responsive much more so than my Acer W500

Why did I chose a MyPhone .... because both my asawa and myself have had a different model of the phone and it has worked like a dream ..... my sister-in-law as had one for almost 3 years and says you can break it ..... (not the 858 but a different phone) ..... if you are looking for a cheap phone that works remarkably well than give it a try .... only p4999

Now if I can just figure out how to go from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean it will be great ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tip! I have been casually shopping for a phone and honestly I ignored MyPhone because I did not know the brand and I figured they were some cheap knock offs that would not last. I will take a closer look now! :thumbsup:

On my last phone the touch screen was way too sensitive and I never found an adjustment for it. I would like to find a phone with the horizontal slide out tactile keyboard, if any one knows of one they could recommend.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Now if I can just figure out how to go from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean it will be great

I think you have to download the firmware. :e3358:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Now if I can just figure out how to go from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean it will be great

I think you have to download the firmware. :e3358:

Yes sir you are right ..... BUT ..... only if the phone manufacture has made an update available for that particular phone ..... and I really don't see MyPhone doing that ..... some of the giants stay on top of things but technology is not something they worry very much about here in the Phils ..... but you already knew that ...... :hystery:

So I have to find out how to root (no Jake ... not that kind of root :mocking: ) .. my phone so I can add the update myself ..... there are a very few websites I've found that tell how to do it in English (but then this is a Fhilipino phone made in China) so I guess I can expect that ..... and my poor asawa can't translate as she is not technically inclined and all it takes is on wrong tap of a key and your phone is toast ..... the rooting of the phone gives you complete control over ALL programs and functions of the phone and most phone companies don't want that ..... oh well I can wait awhile rather than screw it up ..... :nudie: ..... :cheersty:

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

probably you wont get jellybean on that phone it's a bit short of memory.

instructions for rooting are here http://theunlockr.com/forums/topic/rooting-myphone-a858-duo/

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks Malcolm! You beat me to it! And, yeah, that memory is a problem when upgrading. Still, it's always worth a shot!

Mike - are you sure you are comfortable doing this? After all, Android was designed by the engineers for a LInux company and we know how you feel about using Linux... :mocking: (excuse me while I start running - I"m gonna need that headstart! :hystery: )

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

probably you wont get jellybean on that phone it's a bit short of memory.

instructions for rooting are here http://theunlockr.co...phone-a858-duo/

Hey Malcolm ...... than you for that link .... I already tried to download the files I need form megashare but the greedy SOB's won't let me download it for free even on their so called free downloads ..... I even opened up a stupid account hoping it would give me some pull ...... yea ... I know ..... don't be such a cheap-charlie and take out a months downloads for $9.00 and I would except I HATE PAYPAL and I will never open another account with them ..... I have searched for 3 days on Google for the downloads on other sites .... there is a bunch on Chinese sites but even with translation I still can understand it ...... :hystery: :hystery: ...... but I ain't giving up yet ... :thumbsup:

As far as memory I don't know what Jellybean takes but maybe if I can move all the apps to my SD card (16g) I will have enough to run it on the phone memory ..... but then maybe not ..... :lol:

After all, Android was designed by the engineers for a LInux company and we know how you feel about using Linux...

Bob ..... you're a turd ...... :mocking:

And now for a fairytale .......Once upon a time .... in a land far far away ..... I did download and try Lindows ..... I fact I became a charter member and had a life long contract with them ..... (still do I guess ... :lol: ) ..... but after using it for a few months I got tired of all the apps I couldn't run on it so I migrated back into the proud and mighty M$ fold ..... and there I have remained a loving and loyal member until this damnable phone came out ..... I even went so far as to buy the Acer W500 running Win7 Home Premium to keep from getting a want-to-be OS ..... :hystery: .... (well that really isn't the truth) I wanted the the USB ports and other stuff also (but I'm not going to admit that to you ..... cause I want you to feel bad) ...... :nudie: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Well I've had it a few days now trying to get used to it ..... first time I've had an Android OS but besides not being a M$ OS it does fairly good ...... :mocking: ..... I mainly got it because of the GPS feature and WiFi capability and the fact that it has a 3.2 MP camera which as much as I hate to say it is almost the same as my Nikon CoolPix ...... so far I love it and the GPS worked flawless when we went to Dalaguete ..... I have never had a GPS before and found it extremely useful for predicting the road ahead .....

Anyway it is a MyPhone 858 Duo ..... here is the specks on it

http://www.myphone.c...!a858-duo/c1a0l

Now I can almost text messages as fast as my asawa .... if I turn it sideways and make the keyboard larger .... the touch screen is VERY responsive much more so than my Acer W500

Why did I chose a MyPhone .... because both my asawa and myself have had a different model of the phone and it has worked like a dream ..... my sister-in-law as had one for almost 3 years and says you can break it ..... (not the 858 but a different phone) ..... if you are looking for a cheap phone that works remarkably well than give it a try .... only p4999

Now if I can just figure out how to go from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean it will be great ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Mike, I was looking at the specs and it says "motion sensor". Have you used it? Connected to the camera????

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

well like I said I hate to admit it but I now leave my Nikon at home and only carry the 858 ..... I have taken a FEW pictures with it but probably take some at the mall this weekend and I can better answer your question .... I did take a short video but I deleted it already may try that as well ..... it kinda threw me off because it has no flash and I thought it was to dark while I was taking it .... when I got home I found out that a real short one I took came out fine .... I'm still in the learning stage ..... :hystery:

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here are the 3 files I need to root my phone .... the other files I have ..... been doing a Google trying to find where to download them from but all I can find is from megashare and I explained the problem above ...... if you find these please let me know ..... thanks ..... :tiphat: ..... :cheersty:

1) .... root_MP858Duo.zip

2) .....recovery.img

3) .... SP_Flash_Tool_exe_v2.1140.0.zip

OK I think I've found 1 & 2 ...... but 3 is a killer .....

Never mind I found everything I think :dance: ........ now I just gotta get up the gonads to mess with it ....... gonna do a whole lot more reading before I do ...... :mocking: ..... :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S