Planning To Move To Ph: Question To Cost Of Living Around Cebu Area

oks
Posted
Posted
I am currently working in IT Support (wich is excellent payed here) but i saw on many sites hundreds of related jobs. It was nowhere written that Non-PH citizens can't apply. Does it mean that i, as a tourist, am not allowed to go on a job hunt to go to interviews and hope for the best?

Then you perhaps better apply for ABROAD jobs handled through Internet :) handled as OWN BUSINESS. That's seen as "export" and are allowed to be own 100 % by foreigner in different from almost all other types of businesses.

Such need permits too, but has much biger chance to get OK from permit deciders, and much biger chance to give more than Filipino pay :)

In some such outsoursing compamies it can be an ADVANTAGE to be foreigner to get employment, and be comparingly good pay, but normaly they want foreigners with English as father's language.

Wow, thanks, also thought of that, would that also require the same AEP permit issued by DOLE?

So as a conclusion: PH market labor is strictly controlled by laws in such a way that 99% of times the country grows in sustainability and reduces local unemployment rate. That's why, there are lots of head bangs to the work permit wall.

Of course being your own boss in PH looks excellent, there are lots of foreigners doing this (web admin stuff, etc), but do i need those 5 filipino associates? Or am i considered a freelancer paying taxes, and most important "not stealing any filipino targeted jobs"? Because i think that is what it's all about.

I was thinking, compared for ex to Thailand were you are forced to leave the country every few months (not sure if i am 100% right here), the Philippines suck your money away by extending your visa as long as you have the money to support yourself, it is a national interest that foreigners only get the chance to spend money in PH, not producing money on poor filipino backs. (well, under special conditions, but high risks come too)

Actually i know web administration because i've been web admin in the past for over 4 years.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Actually i know web administration because i've been web admin in the past for over 4 years.

Is this where the plug comes?

oks
Posted
Posted

Is this where the plug comes?

perhaps yes :) let's hope so.

anyway, many thanks to all who responded here, this forum is really rocking, i've never hoped to get so many answers :)

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Wow, thanks, also thought of that, would that also require the same AEP permit issued by DOLE?

So as a conclusion: PH market labor is strictly controlled by laws in such a way that 99% of times the country grows in sustainability and reduces local unemployment rate. That's why, there are lots of head bangs to the work permit wall.

Of course being your own boss in PH looks excellent, there are lots of foreigners doing this (web admin stuff, etc), but do i need those 5 filipino associates? Or am i considered a freelancer paying taxes, and most important "not stealing any filipino targeted jobs"? Because i think that is what it's all about.

I was thinking, compared for ex to Thailand were you are forced to leave the country every few months (not sure if i am 100% right here), the Philippines suck your money away by extending your visa as long as you have the money to support yourself, it is a national interest that foreigners only get the chance to spend money in PH, not producing money on poor filipino backs. (well, under special conditions, but high risks come too)

Well. Corect they want to protect Filipin people from kanos taking their jobs, but at the same time they want foreigners to start business here. (See list what types they allow. Plus 100 % for outsorsings and export businesses.) They have some tax benefits for starting some types of businesses too (mainly export).

I don't know what alternatives you have, because I aim at geting more alternatives by marry a Filipina :)

Him at the link I gave you, know such things much better than I.

But I know there are some alternatives for others too e g employ enough Philipine people. ("5"? I believe 10.)

I believe if you manage to get a work permit, then you can get a long stay Visa too costing less..

Curley
Posted
Posted

to sum up an answer to your questions: we don't like Romania (it's turning into a corporate jungle of brainless monkeys running for money), and of course the materialistic view of European life where you need to work your life through just to add more junk and possessions. We have a cosy life in Romania, but after our last vacation in Indonesia, we've realized that life is simply rewarding for those who search for it. Happiness does not mean lots of money, houses, cars. We want another approach in life. Of course the irony that we citizens of "wealthy" nations want to live among poor people, while exactly those poor people dream to have our western lifestyles.

I think my wife will like it. I know the sweat and the seeming impossible to breathe air, i know the mosquitos, i know the garbage lying around next to skyscrapers, i know that people might look at us like foreigners and show us a cold back, but if we manage to live on our restricted budget and extend visa every time, it should not mean one day we'll be denied a visa extension right?

I am currently working in IT Support (wich is excellent payed here) but i saw on many sites hundreds of related jobs. It was nowhere written that Non-PH citizens can't apply.

Does it mean that i, as a tourist, am not allowed to go on a job hunt to go to interviews and hope for the best?

If you are a skilled web support techy then why not ignore all the "corporate jungle of brainless monkeys running for money" and live an alternative lifestyle in Romania or Germany? If you're able to work online then do it from the safety of Europe but get out of the rat race and live an alternative lifestyle there. Why make things harder for yourself by going to the Phils? You can both work legally, earn good money and don't have to run the risks of trying to get round the law. Find some like minded people where you live.

• Like 4

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Yes it would be hard for you to gain employment here, if you were married to filipina you could have business, i know of two Americans married to filipinos both woman who have sucessful business here in Calinan, one owns a photo copy and school supply store, the other owns a private school and has been here 20 years, as far as living on $1200 it can be done but harder if you are renting and living western life style, and live in the city , i know those that spend that on green fees and caddy

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you really want to work and live in Philippines then look into a quota visa instead of a tourist visa. There are fewer restrictions on what work you are allowed to do but the initial outlay is quite large.

Curley
Posted
Posted

Another way would be to set up in a PEZA zone then you can legally own 100% of your own business providing you will be earning 70% or more from outside the Phils. Start up capital 100,000 Pesos and you will need some minimal shareholding by Fillipinos Check out the PEZA website, it won't give you full details but it's not bad.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Another way would be to set up in a PEZA zone then you can legally own 100% of your own business providing you will be earning 70% or more from outside the Phils. Start up capital 100,000 Pesos and you will need some minimal shareholding by Fillipinos Check out the PEZA website, it won't give you full details but it's not bad.

Does outsoursing and callcenter jobs have to be in export zones to be counted as export? I thought that's general undepending of location.

(And I thought minimum 60 % to be counted as export.)

I haven't found any information about if PHYSICAL products companies have to be in export zones, or if it's enough if can show documents (export documents and such) enough percent of the revenue are export. Anyone knowing?

(I don't want to work in cities, prefering working from home in nice nature :) Plus it would be stupid to have to transport raw material long distance, instead of puting the production close to where they grow.)

Curley
Posted
Posted

Have you looked at all the zones available Thomas? Maybe there is something to suit you but for an IT man a good and reliable internet speed is essential so locating in an IT park makes sense.