Two Honest Filipinos

Americano
Posted
Posted

I never go shopping at a market or any other place that doesn't have prices on everything that applies to all shoppers.  The dishonest people are always waiting to take advantage of us rich foreigners. There should be one price for all nationalities and color of skin.  How can an honest person charge one person more than another person if they are honest?  The answer is, most people working in markets are dishonest.  Sure there are honest people in the Philippines but there are many dishonest people too.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I never go shopping at a market or any other place that doesn't have prices on everything that applies to all shoppers.  The dishonest people are always waiting to take advantage of us rich foreigners. There should be one price for all nationalities and color of skin.  How can an honest person charge one person more than another person if they are honest?  The answer is, most people working in markets are dishonest.  Sure there are honest people in the Philippines but there are many dishonest people too.

Too funny...have you ever been to the weekend market that is near Mango....I have shopped there before, heard and seen one price for the locals, and then when I went to buy the same goods, suddenly it was twice the going price....lol...it is more fun in the Philippines :)

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

No, I have never been to the weekend market that is near Mango and I only went to the market in Carcar one time when we first moved here. They were trying to charge me and my wife more than the other customers so I never went back with her.  I didn't want to go back to the market anyway because it smells go bad there.

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

No, I have never been to the weekend market that is near Mango and I only went to the market in Carcar one time when we first moved here. They were trying to charge me and my wife more than the other customers so I never went back with her.  I didn't want to go back to the market anyway because it smells go bad there.

If you ask me, I am kind of partial to the market at the bottom of Ayala :)

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

"Two Honest Filipinos"?  I can tell you a story about one honest Filipino.  The family whom I bought a lot from in 2012 later asked to borrow a total of P35,000. from me and my wife.  Over a year later they sold another lot and wanted to make their first payment on their loan.  While visiting them they gave us P7,500. in cash.  A few days later I made a receipt on my computer and printed it so everyone could sign it.  When we arrived at their home the parents and daughter-in-law read the receipt but didn't say anything.  A little while later the son arrived home from work and after he read the receipt he said, "We gave you 7,000. not 7,500." So, I said oh I have been so busy that I forgot. The son was honest when dealing with money but what about the 3 other family members? 

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

My wife and I go to the wet market every weekend,

You go to the wet market with your wife?  No wonder they chase you down!  Your wife is paying double for the goods due to the dollar sign on your forehead!   :hystery:  They want you coming back again and again!  

Kidding of course, kinda, a little bit!  Nice to see you posting again!   :)

Ha I know what you mean, and at first that definitely happened, but it did not take long for my wife to remind them that she was a Filipina and knew what the prices should be. We have been doing it for years now, and even when we go to a new stall, they appear to recognize us and no longer try to get more than others, in fact we seem to get "special" prices from some of the vendors, as the other day one person was complaining that we get a discount, and the owner said yes but they are "regulars"!

My daughter and I sometimes go to the area that have kids toys etc. while Ellie does some of the shopping. I have found it a great Bonding experience and actual enjoy it now.

Papa Carl

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Papa Carl,

That's an amazing story that you and your wife could actually get the vendors at your market to sell things to you at the same price as they do to Filipinos. This is the first time I ever heard this happening in the Philippines.  Are your clothes very old with holes in them?  How did you convince them that you are not rich?

Edited to add my wife's comment:  Its a lie. Why would she care its not her money any way?

See if you can find any foreigner who has lived here any length of time that has the same experience.  Don't you know that all foreigners have dollar signs $$$$$ on their forehead?

My wife just said send someone to the market that you can trust to buy one kilo of anything that you would like to buy and then after they came back go there yourself and buy the same thing. I'm sure your dreams will be shattered. hahahaha

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1