Money Exchange .. Do It Before Or After Arrival?

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Just a quick note...

Usually, it's better to exchange money before arriving to country but things might have changed or the Philippines is different!?

I asked at Los Angeles airport and they said it's 36 Pesos for one USD! I didn't do it.

I asked at Hong Kong airport and they said it's 34 Pesos for one USD. I didn't do it either.

At Cebu international airport there were few exchange booths with one lady screaming at passengers. I said, how many Pesos for one USD? She said, 40 Pesos. I did some to get by.

At Ayala mall, they have it at 40.60 P if you give them $100 dollar bills. For $20 dollar bills, it would be 40.10 Pesos. This is as per post date.

Best way is to charge it on a non-foreign transaction fee credit card which I have. It's 40.39 Pesos.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Yeah... taking cash in US $100 and then exchanging with a money changer gets the best rate. I have found OK rates at SM malls. Banks typically have lower rates and more paperwork/time to get the exchange done.

I only exchange at the airport when I must have pesos to buy something immediately like a SIMM or load for a phone or for a taxi.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Best way is to charge it on a non-foreign transaction fee credit card which I have. It's 40.39 Pesos.

Oh the USD has went on dropping/Peso raising. Last I read such data it was around 43 pesos per USD.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Oh the USD has went on dropping/Peso raising. Last I read such data it was around 43 pesos per USD.

The USD has been slowly dropping vs the peso, it has been around 41php/USD in recent weeks.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Currently 40.80

Dougbert
Posted
Posted (edited)

I exchange at SM City mall in Cebu City when I go. Decent rates and minimal paperwork. I think last trip (couple of weeks back) I got close to 41php/USD. Note that you need an ID (passport) or a local with some local official picture ID to do the exchange there.

<edit> I should be more specific--I go to the exchange counter inside the SM department store. I can't recall which floor it was on. Just ask any of the security guys or one of the staff.

Edited by Dougbert

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Being English, I get a little Conservative, on Exchange rates. Whilst I get charged some, for the exchange at home ( Well in Spain) I have always brought US Dollars for the first nights stay, the Peso is very difficult to Obtain at Short notice, in Spain. ( The Dollar is welcome, just about everywhere.) Then I always use an ATM, luckily I have a no Charge Debit & Credit card, I really don't think you will better the ATM, as it is an instant update on exchange rates. ie; at 10 am it may give me 64.65 peso to the pound Sterling Sterling and at 12 noon 65 peso. Of course it can and has gone, the other way, I just feel I can Control the Spending using an ATM, just get what you need for that day or So. no need for Large Exchanges that can incur costs. :)

Wells that's me :unsure:

each to their own so to speak.

:tiphat:

• 1 month later...
BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Ok guys,

So would I be better off buying some USD here in Aust or just running with the AUD in Cebu given the AUD is higher than the USD. I guess what I'm asking is the AUD as accepted as the USD?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Ok guys,

So would I be better off buying some USD here in Aust or just running with the AUD in Cebu given the AUD is higher than the USD. I guess what I'm asking is the AUD as accepted as the USD?

Depending on what your doing, if just going for a holiday use the ATM machine in Cebu or order some pesos from the bank in Australia to get you started. AUD is accepted at money exchanges but make sure your notes are clean and new.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Ok guys,

Depending on what your doing, if just going for a holiday use the ATM machine in Cebu or order some pesos from the bank in Australia to get you started. AUD is accepted at money exchanges but make sure your notes are clean and new.

59 day visa with a view to extending or the retirement visa is the plan at the moment.