Money Exchange .. Do It Before Or After Arrival?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Ok guys,

So would I be better off buying some USD here in Aust or just running with the AUD in Cebu given the AUD is higher than the USD. I guess what I'm asking is the AUD as accepted as the USD?

Depending on what your doing, if just going for a holiday use the ATM machine in Cebu or order some pesos from the bank in Australia to get you started. AUD is accepted at money exchanges but make sure your notes are clean and new.

59 day visa with a view to extending or the retirement visa is the plan at the moment.

Yes I read that after posting. Anyway what I do is just get some peso from bank in Aus so that you can get a taxi and what ever when arriving and I find using the ATM is a better option as you really don't want a large stash of cash sitting around.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Ok guys,

So would I be better off buying some USD here in Aust or just running with the AUD in Cebu given the AUD is higher than the USD. I guess what I'm asking is the AUD as accepted as the USD?

Depending on what your doing, if just going for a holiday use the ATM machine in Cebu or order some pesos from the bank in Australia to get you started. AUD is accepted at money exchanges but make sure your notes are clean and new.

59 day visa with a view to extending or the retirement visa is the plan at the moment.

Yes I read that after posting. Anyway what I do is just get some peso from bank in Aus so that you can get a taxi and what ever when arriving and I find using the ATM is a better option as you really don't want a large stash of cash sitting around.

Have to agree, had an unfortunate incident in Indonesia a few years back despite my best efforts at personal security. Not much fun knocking on the embassy door with cap in hand. Luckily a few of my old navy friends were posted there so that expidited thngs for me; no such luxury in the Philippines.

Steve
Posted
Posted

For me, it depends on the time of day or night that we arrive. If we'er coming in late at night like the last trip, after midnight, I prefer to bring some pesos with me. This way I can ensure that i have cash for the taxi's & hotel without having to worry about hitting an atm or taking the chance of a changer not being open at the airport, etc. And when we leave, I also make sure that we have a few thousand pesos to bring on the next trip without having to worry. When you get the money exchanged in the US, you lose twice. Once on the rate and once on the exchange fees.

• Like 2