7 Days Until R - P Day

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We are so very excited for you. The 2-staged move is smart.

Since we have just under 6 more years before the move, we will be doing the move in many stages. Our next trip to the Philippines will be to furnish our retirement home. My wife is going to take on that challenge and is gathering up furniture styles to present to furniture artisans in Marinduque. Fortunately, the island is famous for its good wood (narra) and the craftsmanship of its workers.

We bought the home early since let's face it, money doesn't earn much in investments, and real estate prices in the Philippines are not about to swing downwards. It was also a real bonus that the house and the scenery just bowled us over.

We will wait until we retire before we get a vehicle though. Otherwise, it will just seize up for lack of use.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

We are so very excited for you. The 2-staged move is smart.

Since we have just under 6 more years before the move, we will be doing the move in many stages. Our next trip to the Philippines will be to furnish our retirement home. My wife is going to take on that challenge and is gathering up furniture styles to present to furniture artisans in Marinduque. Fortunately, the island is famous for its good wood (narra) and the craftsmanship of its workers.

We bought the home early since let's face it, money doesn't earn much in investments, and real estate prices in the Philippines are not about to swing downwards. It was also a real bonus that the house and the scenery just bowled us over.

We will wait until we retire before we get a vehicle though. Otherwise, it will just seize up for lack of use.

Thanks.

I hope you have someone you trust to look after your home in the Philippines until you make the final move.

I agree, finding good investments with a decent return is getting more and more difficult.

That is why I will keep my home and rent it out after I move. It will get me 4-5% return on my investment plus protect me against inflation.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
The 2-staged move is smart.

Yes, I agree that is the best way! However, I couldn't get out of Kentucky fast enough!

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I hope you have someone you trust to look after your home in the Philippines until you make the final move. I agree, finding good investments with a decent return is getting more and more difficult. That is why I will keep my home and rent it out after I move. It will get me 4-5% return on my investment plus protect me against inflation.

The downside to being away is that homes in the Philippines tend to deteriorate if not occupied. That's why we have caretakers to clean daily (the house and the grounds).

We also plan on renting out our home in Scarborough for the first 2 years after we move. If that proves to be a good experience, then we'll continue on renting it out. If not, then we'll sell and buy a condo unit in a building that is conveniently located so we don't have to maintain a car (and insurance) to tool around when we're back.

• Like 1

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

We are already here!!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The downside to being away is that homes in the Philippines tend to deteriorate if not occupied.

Now thats the truth. I went to visit a friend yesterday who had been back in the US for the last 9 months. His house here had been locked up and when he got back the mold and mildew was major serious. scraping, painting renovating throwing out old furniture and buying new all going on over at his house now.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

One more partial work day, then retirement lunch with a few coworkers, then off to the airport. Only 18 hours until I start the next chapter in my life.

I will be very busy the next 18 hours while squeezing in 6-8 hours sleep.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Most people, after their last few minutes of contact with their workplace as they retire, will feel extremely down and depressed. This is normal. I think it has to do with the realization that there is nothing to do tomorrow.. or the day after... or the day after... or the day after... You have a built-in "Happy Happy Joy Joy" pill (ok, so that's the Chinese version) as you are leaving for a new phase in life where you will be busier than ever before! Lucky man! Don't you know that is no way to start a retirement? You're making the rest of us jealous! :541:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Most people, after their last few minutes of contact with their workplace as they retire, will feel extremely down and depressed. This is normal. I think it has to do with the realization that there is nothing to do tomorrow.. or the day after... or the day after... or the day after... You have a built-in "Happy Happy Joy Joy" pill (ok, so that's the Chinese version) as you are leaving for a new phase in life where you will be busier than ever before! Lucky man! Don't you know that is no way to start a retirement? You're making the rest of us jealous! :541:

So true. I don't think my retirement will really hit me until after the first of the year. From now until then it will just seem like a nice vacation.

My work is computer programming & internet technology based on open source. I have always liked this work and after the first of the year will likely find projects and things to work on which will scratch that itch. When I have time. :)

It was no secret where I worked that I planned to retire to the Philippines. There were many questions about the Philippines at my retirement party. Seems most people in the USA (including me before I got interested) are pretty ignorant about the Philippines.

• Like 2