Baguio City

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Wow, it is nice here! Absolutely perfect weather! Low humidity, mid 70's F after 50's last night. I could get used to this!

We left Pasay City last night on the 8 pm Victory Liner and got here about 3 AM. Taxis waiting and they only use the meter here. Safe and reliable, I am told. Our fare was p 67 from the Victory terminal to the family's house.

Initial impression on the short drive was that the infrastructure here is good, much better than down in Laguna.

My GF's brother has a nice setup here. Internet cafe and a new sari sari store on the ground floor where a garage used to be. First and second floor is their living area and also another apartment where a sister lives.

Third and fourth floors are newly renovated and we are staying there for the next few nights. They were planning on renting it as a transient (tourist) apartment but somehow then ended up renting it to an American who will move in December 5th. I think he got a great deal. Total sqm must be close to 100. I won't disclose the price but it is 4 BR 2 CR and very nice. The living area is huge and there is a nice terrace with a great view. It is so high up I get a bit queasy up there. I will post some pictures later.

They have a Swiss friend of 30 years who has financed a lot of this and they own several lots. Next door they are building 4 units with a garage underneath too. There is a strong rental market for students. They are a 5 minute walk to a branch of St. Louis Uni and he tells me there are 8000 students in the unis here. The brother has changed from physical therapist to construction manager for the time being!

It sure is nice to be sitting here nice and cool, without all the heat and sticky feeling! :thumbsup:

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Wow... sounds like you really like Baguio. I understand that Jan - Mar is the best time of year for weather, flowers, etc. But that is also when it gets crowded with tourists.

Only bad time of year there is June - August when Baguio has frequent heavy rains. Baguio does have the worlds record for the most rain in 24 hours, 46 inches I think.

That transient apartment sounds very nice but much larger than what I would need.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
worlds record for the most rain in 24 hours

I thought that was so cool! But then I googled to confirm:

The all-time world record for the most rainfall in 24 hours is 71.8 inches, or just under six feet of rain! The location is La Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean,
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Wow, it is nice here! Absolutely perfect weather! Low humidity, mid 70's F after 50's last night. I could get used to this!

We left Pasay City last night on the 8 pm Victory Liner and got here about 3 AM. Taxis waiting and they only use the meter here. Safe and reliable, I am told. Our fare was p 67 from the Victory terminal to the family's house.

Initial impression on the short drive was that the infrastructure here is good, much better than down in Laguna.

My GF's brother has a nice setup here. Internet cafe and a new sari sari store on the ground floor where a garage used to be. First and second floor is their living area and also another apartment where a sister lives.

Third and fourth floors are newly renovated and we are staying there for the next few nights. They were planning on renting it as a transient (tourist) apartment but somehow then ended up renting it to an American who will move in December 5th. I think he got a great deal. Total sqm must be close to 100. I won't disclose the price but it is 4 BR 2 CR and very nice. The living area is huge and there is a nice terrace with a great view. It is so high up I get a bit queasy up there. I will post some pictures later.

They have a Swiss friend of 30 years who has financed a lot of this and they own several lots. Next door they are building 4 units with a garage underneath too. There is a strong rental market for students. They are a 5 minute walk to a branch of St. Louis Uni and he tells me there are 8000 students in the unis here. The brother has changed from physical therapist to construction manager for the time being!

It sure is nice to be sitting here nice and cool, without all the heat and sticky feeling! :thumbsup:

Double wow! Your journey from Kentucky to Baguio and all points in between is finally over.

I am happy for you and for your lady friend and really appreciate sharing your adventure to

the other members.

Well done my friend -- Jake

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The all-time world record for the most rainfall in 24 hours is 71.8 inches, or just under six feet of rain! The location is La Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean,

Like I said in a different thread... question authority... do your own research!!

Regardless, June-August is still a good time to make travel plans elsewhere if you live in Baguio!

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yes, they do get the rain later but it is easy to forget it on a perfect day like today!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Double wow! Your journey from Kentucky to Baguio and all points in between is finally over. I am happy for you and for your lady friend and really appreciate sharing your adventure to the other members. Well done my friend -- Jake

Well, not exactly. Originally Baguio was on the top of the list but it is back burner now. We are just here for the weekend. If they had an airport nearby it would be closer to the top of the list.

Subic, Cebu and Davao are on the list, along with a few others.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Double wow! Your journey from Kentucky to Baguio and all points in between is finally over. I am happy for you and for your lady friend and really appreciate sharing your adventure to the other members. Well done my friend -- Jake

Well, not exactly. Originally Baguio was on the top of the list but it is back burner now. We are just here for the weekend. If they had an airport nearby it would be closer to the top of the list.

Subic, Cebu and Davao are on the list, along with a few others.

Baguio does have an airport in Loakan. I think I heard that they don't have commercial flights anymore. We were fortunate to have flown there in 1999.

Baguio used to be my wife's favorite summer retreat, and wanted to share the experience with me. When we got there, however, she was surprised to see how crowded it had become. We still enjoyed it though. The food was still very much to her liking, especially the Rose Bowl.

During that trip, where we went to the south, central, and northern portions of the Philippines, my eyes were opened to something that a Hong Kong resident said to us (with which my wife concurs)...the farther north you go, the more industrious the Filipinos are.

• Like 4

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I wonder how the typhoons affect Baguio with it being so high up and if there are any malls there

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I wonder how the typhoons affect Baguio with it being so high up and if there are any malls there

I think the typhoons are responsible for the very heavy rainfall and because of the cooler temperatures the big 4 story SM Mall doesn't have or need aircon.

• Like 1