Baguio City

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
When we got there, however, she was surprised to see how crowded it had become.

My GF says the same thing. She went to school here 20 years ago and says it was a quiet place then. I still like it now.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Baguio does have an airport in Loakan. I think I heard that they don't have commercial flights anymore.

The family here says there is always talk about reopening the airport to commercial traffic but there is nothing definite planned.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I wonder how the typhoons affect Baguio with it being so high up and if there are any malls there

We went to the mall yesterday and it is a very nice open air mall. I took some pictures that I will post later.

We walked around downtown and I really like the small town shopping district. Even though it was crowded with holiday shoppers, it still maintains an "open" small town feel.

It is also relatively clean. There are many "don't litter" type of signs posted. They seems to also enforce jeepney and taxi standards. The jeepneys are much nicer than in Manila, and quieter.

There is a huge indoor / outdoor market area, with many fresh vegetables and fruit for nice prices. Without aircon, the indoor area would be sweltering in other cities but here it is very pleasant.

There are quite a few foreigners here but you don't see them that often. My GF commented and I agree, I don't get the constant stares here like in Laguna. They seem much more used to foreigners than where we are in Laguna.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
There are quite a few foreigners here but you don't see them that often. My GF commented and I agree, I don't get the constant stares here like in Laguna. They seem much more used to foreigners than where we are in Laguna.

Might be because Camp John Hay used to be frequented by a lot of foreigners. I thought I had heard that Americans actually developed the city.

• Like 1

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Please be sure you post any photos from MineView...especially any of the horse (ponies) with the colo(u)red manes... :dance:

Upon reflection of my last visit, my asawa and I bussed over from Bauang, La Union, 'bout an hour's thrill ride over the mountains or so... the air seemed to be thick with smoke...I wondered at the time if air pollution would be an issue. I got busted in the SM Mall for taking video...I paid the little folks near the Summer Capital 40 pisos for a "Kodak" moment...arranged a set fee for 200 hour transport around Baguio with a white taxi guy...250 was the agreed upon price...later to find out that it was 250 pisos apiece...silly me thinking otherwise.. met up with a fellow and his asawa in Burnham Park from England who was almost as tall as me (2.0574m for you metric folks) and we shared our PI tall guy stories...watched traffic in downtown where they had a working traffic signal..amazed at how efficient it was with all drivers taking their turns as determined by the signals...will wonders never cease...

Excellent on-the-scene report! Appreciate you sharing - Safe Travels to you~~~

• Like 1

buttercup1984
Posted
Posted

I'm more excited to check out Baguio more than ever! will be visiting baguio to tour st. louis university...hope i really like it....dont wanna end up going to school in manila unless i have no other options lol

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm more excited to check out Baguio more than ever! will be visiting baguio to tour st. louis university...hope i really like it....dont wanna end up going to school in manila unless i have no other options lol

Make sure you bring warm clothes! It can be very cold. The walls in our bedroom stay cold all day. It is funny to see some many clothing stores selling gloves and knit caps in the Philippines! :hystery:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

During my visit to Baguio last April I stayed at a new hotel which had only been open a few months. I couldn't find where there was either heating or aircon for the room we stayed in. Of course you don't really need aircon much in Baguio... but not having heat could leave you cold some nights.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Wow! this place sounds like a dream come true!

Definitely on my list of places to visit and possibly even become the home port!

:dance: