The Majority Filipinos Are….. Adhd?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Are you referring to this article

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/current-affairs-programs/10/30/10/salamat-dok-adhd-kulang-sa-pansin

“KSP or kulang sa pansin!”

KSP or kulang sa pansin is a colloquial term for someone who is perceived to be lacking in attention. We always hear or utter this phrase when we notice someone such as a child who does not follow a standard, norm, etiquette or good manners and right conduct.

Now, that phrase has already evolved. When somebody shows off, we say “He may have ADHD or ADD.”

Others may understand that but many are puzzled. ADHD is the acronym for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The next question will be, “What is it?”

Dr. Jocelyn Eusebio, developmental pediatrician and child development consultant of some major hospitals in Metro Manila defines ADHD as a neuro-developmental disorder – believed to be a strongly genetic or inborn condition.

“The real cause of ADHD is unknown and still being studied. Others believe that imbalance bio-chemical substances in the brain causes the symptoms while many says it’s because of some contributory factors – born prematurely, exposure to toxic chemicals like lead and nutritional deficiency,” Dr. Eusebio adds.

continued at link

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dave, nope I missed that one. Fact is it's Friday night and I was just being Gago Americano. On the other hand it would explane a lot of things.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Figuring the typical chaotic living conditions in Philippines with extended family living in close proximity all the constant noise and numerous interactions would it not be expected many Filipinos exhibit symptoms’ of ADHD?

Or is this just another Foreigners simplistic shallow attempt to understand a complicated culture? :89:

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder;

ADHD is a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination. Whatever the cause may be, it seems to be set in motion early in life as the brain is developing.

As you may know, extreme or constant starvation leads to malnourishment among the young and the weak.

Even the rat population in Manila is living high on the hog.

Gago FIL-AM -- Jake

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
As you may know, extreme or constant starvation leads to malnourishment among the young and the weak. Even the rat population in Manila is living high on the hog.

Yes. malnutricion, specialy during young age, can damage the brain capacity much. I don't remember which country (Peru ?) but somewhere in west of South America, aid workers had noticed villages where almost all children had low IQ depending of malnutricion, although they went to school.

lacking in attention

Or they give attention to to much at the same time, so nothing get enough attention :(

I have claimed many years, most* western kindergartens are a risk factor. Back when I started elementary school myself, I guessed corect concerning all except one if they had been in kinderkarten or not, just by loudness and not being calm... Many have tried to "hang" me for this during the years :) but no one of them have managed to tell what the reason would be otherwice, I could say corect for almost all...

*There are kindergarten exceptions, I'm not blaming the teachers, it's almost impossible to handle such situations good, when it's many children per grown up, and starting when the children are very young... On top of that are many of them rushed up every morning, which don't make them calmer either.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For those of us in our 50s or older, if you think way back, do you remember anyone in elementary school exhibiting ADHD symptoms? Sure there was one or two but they were usually disciplined the old-fashioned way (sit in the corner, miss recess, the pair of shoes nailed to a board that was held down by the desk) and it wasn't long before they were acting just like everybody else. Now I'm not saying that there isn't a person who truly has ADHD but rather that I believe a lot of this falls under learned behaviour. Lack of PROPER discipline during the younger life cycle. And I don't mean beating the kids to death for misbehaving or screaming at them until dropping from lack of oxygen either. Which seems to be the common discipline today. Hmmm.... the discipline being carried out seems to show a tendency to ADHD for those performing the discipline, don't you think?

Sarcasm aside, I don't deny that there are true cases of ADHD in this world. But I also believe that well over 90% of reported cases are nothing more than simply poor parenting and the lack of proper and effective discipline.

• Like 5

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder; ADHD is a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination. Whatever the cause may be, it seems to be set in motion early in life as the brain is developing.

after reading the DSM-IV codes, it seems that many here people (as in other parts of the world) have real disorders.

its ashame that no real help can be provided to those who need

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-IV_Codes

just a few that I have observed or seen here

ADHD-Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Combined Type 314.01

Delusional Disorder 297.1 Unspecified Mental Disorder (nonpsychotic) 300.9

Schizoaffective Disorder 295.70 Alcohol Intoxication 303.00 Mental Retardation, Severity Unspecified 319

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder; ADHD is a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination. Whatever the cause may be, it seems to be set in motion early in life as the brain is developing.

after reading the DSM-IV codes, it seems that many here people (as in other parts of the world) have real disorders.

its ashame that no real help can be provided to those who need

http://en.wikipedia....ki/DSM-IV_Codes

just a few that I have observed or seen here

ADHD-Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Combined Type 314.01

Delusional Disorder 297.1 Unspecified Mental Disorder (nonpsychotic) 300.9

Schizoaffective Disorder 295.70 Alcohol Intoxication 303.00 Mental Retardation, Severity Unspecified 319

Now I don't remember what came from that DSM-IV and an other, but both are involved in the following realy stupid conclusions:

Don't remember what they called it but they found it being some disorder, because being:

/stubborn - when being right too!

/find it important the text is correct in (annexes to) legal documents!

/react against unfairnesses - against others than himself too!!!

Theese found some type of BAD too!!!:

/precocious often prefering to be with older, because finding most kids in same age being to unclever, because being much more clever than them himself...

/double handed, being GOOD with BOTH hands!!!*

*I can understand if not concentrate on one hand if being BAD with the hands, but what's bad with:

/can write with both hands. (The hand writing with the bad hand look similar to average people's.)

/can beat some players in tennis and table tennis with "wrong" hand too...

Schizoid tendences!!!

/like to be alone often (in nicer environments).

/"satisfied", don't bother to feel bad of things, which is impossible for him to solve himself!!!

/don't bother what other people think - when they are stupid... !!!

So them, who made that DSM-IV and the other, need to have had IQ at retarded level... :hystery:

• Like 1