Heading To Cebu/boracay In January, Suggestions On What-Where?

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good topic as I am looking for the same advice. I might hire a tour guide or someone like a real estate agent to show us around for one solid day, or two. Maybe with map in hand so that the lay of the land sinks into this thick head as much as possible!

If anyone knows of someone who could provide such as service for a reasonable cost, please let me know!

This lonk is in answer to a direct question.

If I can't post links like this, there is no point me posting at all

Edited by MikeB
Removed - The page contains direct links to other forums.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Its not you, Jim. You can see that links to your site and almost all the other information links provided are still there and welcome. There are some sites that management does not promote or provide links for. I'm guessing you hit on one.

Not to worry, any forum I have ever participated in has certain links that the owner does not want posted so it is not unique to this forum. Thanks for posting all the valuable info that you do.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Its not you, Jim. You can see that links to your site and almost all the other information links provided are still there and welcome. There are some sites that management does not promote or provide links for. I'm guessing you hit on one.

Not to worry, any forum I have ever participated in has certain links that the owner does not want posted so it is not unique to this forum. Thanks for posting all the valuable info that you do.

Hello Big Jim,

Our admin guru Mike B removed your links to other forums because it violated our forum rules.

As Dave mentioned, other forums have similar rules. Below is quotation from our rules about

posting links:

Adding links to your post is allowed if the link is for information regarding the Philippines and/or relates to

the topic. The exception is links to dating sites, sex sites, blogs and other forums......

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
correct my sentence structure
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Jim, thanks for posting that list! It is very helpful even without a few of the links! :thumbsup:

Jimmie
Posted
Posted

Greg, Jim, Jake, Bob, guys, thank you for the fantastic info. I will read over it repeatedly, and will welcome more....

These replies are really, really, helpful, and I thank you guys for taking the time to post them. Very cool.

Greg I've spent some time in Moscow for my work, so I'm guessing Cebu's population is MORE like that than Chicago, but as you've indicated, it's all variable. What I've seen of AMerican cities is that suburbs tend to creep up into high rises, transitioning fairly quickly. In Moscow, there are thousands (?) of 5-12 story apartment buildings... so the density is high, even though the skyline is not as impressive as Chicago or many other cities. And again, s. footage per person is less, but I suspect Cebu is even more "compact." I know in Moscow there are often 3-4 people living in what would be considered a 1-2 bedroom apartment.

I would love to take you and your girlfriend to grab something to eat and get some thoughts from you both. And yes, beer, too. I will stay in touch enough to try to make that happen..but I will certainly understand of you guys have something come up that pulls you away. Like, a beer special at your favorite place, or a chance to get an early copy of your fav video game, or whatever it is that most appeals to you. So, I'll try to make that happen, but whether it does or not, your offer is much, much appreciated.

I have a lot of homework to do. I'm still trying to learn Russian, and soon, enough Thai to not accidently get arrested or anything, I hope, and then enough Tagalog, for the same reason. I have a plan to learn Spanish in more depth, but that seems like a faraway dream... and the others are probably just as unrealistic. LOL.

Guys, thanks again. fantastic response, and your generosity in writing and maybe more is impressive. Would love to buy a few rounds for all of you if I could/can. Beer. that is. The last time I made that offer in Moscow I was buying vodka with horseradish, before I knew it... THAT was a difficult day-after... LOL....

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The last time I made that offer in Moscow I was buying vodka with horseradish, before I knew it... THAT was a difficult day-after... LOL....

What? Jimmie? You don't like Khrenovukha? Hehe!! It goes great with Peanut Butter and Horseradish sandwiches (don't laugh - I like them! hehe!)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Would love to buy a few rounds for all of you if I could/can. Beer. that is.

Can some one Give Directions, where Jimmie can send our beer Lorry.

post-2148-0-69401300-1354765401_thumb.jp

jimmie, Needs to be 50/50 on the brand :dance:

some like,

post-2148-0-92927600-1354765490_thumb.jp others like.

post-2148-0-98352200-1354765553_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

, and then enough Tagalog, for the same reason.

In case you don't know, only about 20% of the population have Tagalog as their first language.

Here is a map showing language distribution in the Philippines.

post-5-0-21194400-1354782755_thumb.jpg

If your plan is to spend most of your time in the central Philippines, my suggestion is you learn Bisaya, otherwise known as Visayan or Cebuano.

Last year, I conducted a mini survey of Bisaya speakers on Cebu Bohol and Leyte.

I asked if all their Filipino friends and relatives can speak Tagalog. 100% of people said no.

I asked if they wanted foreigners speaking to them in Tagalog. All but one said no. The person who said yes, said it was his job. He is a tour guide on Bohol.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

, and then enough Tagalog, for the same reason.

In case you don't know, only about 20% of the population have Tagalog as their first language.

Here is a map showing language distribution in the Philippines.

post-5-0-21194400-1354782755_thumb.jpg

If your plan is to spend most of your time in the central Philippines, my suggestion is you learn Bisaya, otherwise known as Visayan or Cebuano.

Last year, I conducted a mini survey of Bisaya speakers on Cebu Bohol and Leyte.

I asked if all their Filipino friends and relatives can speak Tagalog. 100% of people said no.

I asked if they wanted foreigners speaking to them in Tagalog. All but one said no. The person who said yes, said it was his job. He is a tour guide on Bohol.

Going off topic a bit, but I was wondering how hard it is for a native Tagalog speaker to learn Visayan??? Jim, not sure if you know but maybe someone else can comment.

Why? My GF is from Bohol and speaks Visayan and Tagalog. Her 8 year old daughter has lived in Laguna all her life so only speaks Tagalog. I was wondering how hard it would be for the 8 year old to learn Visayan if we move to Cebu.

• Like 1