Best Overseas Retirement Options For 2013

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Kathleen Peddicord is a writer for US News & World Report on overseas retirement. The following is her comments about Cebu.

Affordable and Exotic: Cebu, Philippines

Manila is too hot and too crowded. However, Cebu, one of the most protected of the 7,000 islands of this archipelago, can be an ideal budget retirement choice. Winter in Cebu (October through February) can be delightful; temperatures are about 75 degrees Fahrenheit and accompanied by gentle breezes.

The two big advantages of the Philippines in general are the cost of living and real estate costs. This is a popular destination among retired U.S. military, because the people are friendly, the health care is good, and a military pension buys a better-than-comfortable standard of living. As throughout Asia, foreign ownership of real estate is restricted, but you can buy a condo in your own name for full- or part-time use, retirement, and rental. The government seems to be on a path to relaxing foreign ownership restrictions.

Expats on Cebu come from all over the world, but the majority are from the U.S., England, and Australia. Some men in their 50s and 60s choose this part of the world as a place to restart their lives with new wives and new families.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If I saw an ad like that it would encourage me to look at Cebu for retirement. Having been there and done that I was discouraged to find that those condos they mention cost the same as I would have paid in the Canadian city I moved here from. (There are still low cost rentals and purchases outside the city but not nearly as many as there were 5 years ago and those disappear quickly.) The 'good health care' is subjective but reasonable care facilities can be found for a price.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Kathleen Peddicord likes to push Cuenca, Ecuador where, "A couple could retire in Cuenca on a budget of as little as $1,200 per month and invest in a small condo of their own for as little as $40,000." Reminds me of the on going discussion after living in the Philippines on $800 a month (one person).

I thought of posting her comments about Cebu to find out how other forum members react. My gut feeling is she has never visited Cebu, at least not in the past year. She is suppose to be a travel writer and retirement expert, but her writing is mostly fluff. Nothing really specific. It sound like something you write after reading other guides. Any comments?

Edited by JJR
  • Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

I doubt that she's ever been, or if she has, she stayed in a top resort and didn't venture out.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I doubt that she's ever been, or if she has, she stayed in a top resort and didn't venture out.

:unsure: Always the danger of reading a Brochure (Holidays and things.) you only get the pros never the cons, Pity, cos this is what lets the Philippines down IMHO. Where there is good, there HAS, to be bad, even just a little. Fore warned, is forearmed :)

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

:unsure: Always the danger of reading a Brochure (Holidays and things.) you only get the pros never the cons, Pity, cos this is what lets the Philippines down IMHO. Where there is good, there HAS, to be bad, even just a little. Fore warned, is forearmed :)

According to some members here there is a LOT of bad in the Phils, enough to put many people off the idea.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
According to some members here there is a LOT of bad in the Phils, enough to put many people off the idea.

There is a LOT of bad in the Phils. No point on dwelling on it though, unless you are researching pros and cons before moving here. People who are put off by bad things should stay away. People who are willing to do balance the good with the bad do well here, as do the ones who wear rose colored glasses and get very lucky not stepping in the open manholes or dog sh&t.

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Winter in Cebu (October through February) can be delightful; temperatures are about 75 degrees Fahrenheit and accompanied by gentle breezes.

Sounds idyllic but sure seems a lot hotter then that to me.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ms Peddicorp is a typical travel writer - she pushes the good only. There is a financial incentive to the magazine to publish only the good and not anything controversial. I do a little freelance work once in a while and that seems to be the mandatory rule of thumb when doing a travel piece - only the good if I want to get paid! If you want to know the truth, the only way to know for sure is to go whatever place you reading about. Or visit the expat forums...

:mocking:

stevewool
Posted
Posted

like anything in life, its always best to try it yourself, what suits you may not suit the next person,