Pacquiao Face Plant On Round Six

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Marquez knew that Pacquiao, at this stage of his career, wasn't going to knock him out so he ate a lot of leather and waited for the right time and took advantage of his opponent's mistake. His strategy of getting stronger worked. I haven't seen the round by round judging but it was probably even, if it had gone all the way it would of probably been another controversial decision. Bulk up and take his head off, screw the judges. At least the congressman had the grace to give Marquez the credit he deserved, before and after, that's a nice change from the usual.

No. I saw whole the fight direct. Marquez was ahead after 2 rounds, because of the first knock down. The two rounds, when Pacman were knocked down and knocked out, were his BEST fighting clear leading rounds, but then Marquez hit him. Perhaps Pacman became incautious because being leading the rounds. At the knockout, Pacman was surely ahead in the fight. Swedish commentators thought +3 for Pacman before the knockout and I thought same.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I just watched the entire HBO feed. Very entertaining except for Roy Jones. Much better then the chop and freeze internet stream I watched live. They use a 10 point must system per round, the winner getting 10. All 3 judges had identical scores after 5 rounds: 47-46 for Pacquiao. He would have certainly won the 6th and that would have made it 57-55 except Marquez had a different script. I agree Pacquiao became incautious and it cost him.

samatm
Posted
Posted

after 3 boring fights.. this was a good fight. Sorry he lost. the fact is if he hadn't gotten carless the last second of the 6th round he probably would have taken Marquez out with a TKO due to bleeding in the 7th or 8th round. He will be back. he is a competitor and he looked good this time out.

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

A great fighter {perhaps THE greatest} lost to another great fighter. Marquez did his homework well. He exploited one of Manny's well known weaknesses whereby he leaves himself open after throwing a left hand. Marquez hit him with the same punch on at least 4 other occasions in the fight. This was not a lucky punch as some believe, it was part of a well executed plan, a plan that won him the fght. I have found all 4 of the fights to be very entertaining and I think they will become part of a boxing legend that will last forever.

I also want to add to Okieboy, very astute observation.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Marquez did his homework well. He exploited one of Manny's well known weaknesses whereby he leaves himself open after throwing a left hand. Marquez hit him with the same punch on at least 4 other occasions in the fight. This was not a lucky punch as some believe, it was part of a well executed plan, a plan that won him the fght.

Watch the tape, when Pacquiao was clocked he had thrown a feable right jab that missed, not a left. He fights left handed, he was trying to set up the left with a right jab but it was weak and missed anyway leaving both hands down - wide open. Marquez was backed up in the corner and threw the punch from a slight crouch so it had maximum effect, the same way he did with the earlier knockdown but that one landed higher on Pacquiao's head, this one was flush. Marquez is one of he great counter punchers, he had a plan and the added strength this time to execute it.

efigy
Posted
Posted
32352_406984279382478_1856081278_s.jpg

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
Watch the tape, when Pacquiao was clocked he had thrown a feable right jab that missed, not a left. He fights left handed, he was trying to set up the left with a right jab but it was weak and missed anyway leaving both hands down - wide open. Marquez was backed up in the corner and threw the punch from a slight crouch so it had maximum effect, the same way he did with the earlier knockdown but that one landed higher on Pacquiao's head, this one was flush. Marquez is one of he great counter punchers, he had a plan and the added strength this time to execute it.

You're right Mike, I should have said BEFORE throwing a left. This is a weakness of most southpaws. A natural tendency to drop the left prior to delivery. He had tried to set up the left with a weak right jab and failed to tuck his chin and got caught. None the less another great fight in this series and I look forward to #5.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Now every fighter knows how to knock out Packman, step on his foot and hit him in the nose, hehe. Well, that's what happened but it may not work every time.

A good fight but wish it would have gone more rounds to see who really was the best that day. Packman could have gotten a knock out if it went longer.

Well maybe getting knock out will earn more money for Packman anyway. $25million for that fight and who knows how many millions for the rematch?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

My email to the Cebu Sun Star was published today in the Opinion section, 2nd article - under "Pacquiao should quit" (I did not write that title or do the formatting).

http://www.sunstar.c...s-permit-258083

In response to this oped piece from Sunday's paper.

• Like 2