Good News, I Hope!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

One of the things I was looking forward to in the Philippines was being able to afford hired household help. My girlfriend has been doing everything here since we let her last nanny (not a good one!) go, and sometimes it can be a problem for us, time wise.

Yesterday her original nanny for her daughter called and said she wanted to come back. The last few years she has been working as a cook at a resort on Bohol, but she decided to leave and her last day will be soon. She was unhappy with the management.

So we made an agreement to hire her as full time live-in, as she was before. My girlfriend speaks very highly of her so I am happy to have her come back. She was the nanny for 4 years before and my girlfriend says she is a great cook, good housekeeper, loves her daughter like her own, and is very hardworking and trustworthy!

My only qualms are that we had always gone back and forth about having a full time live-in. There will be a loss of privacy. When we are finding a new home I will have to consider the living arrangements to optimize privacy.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
When we are finding a new home I will have to consider the living arrangements to optimized privacy.

If you own the place or with the permission of the landlord, the maid's quarter can be reconfigured so entry & exit is through an outside door. She would have to enter the main house through a locked front or back door. Another way is to place a door to the family's private quarters. It is kept locked until a family member opens it in the morning.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
When we are finding a new home I will have to consider the living arrangements to optimized privacy.

If you own the place or with the permission of the landlord, the maid's quarter can be reconfigured so entry & exit is through an outside door. She would have to enter the main house through a locked front or back door. Another way is to place a door to the family's private quarters. It is kept locked until a family member opens it in the morning.

Yes, exactly! I will be renting for the next few years but I have seen some rentals with those types of arrangements.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately OMW .That's the problem with live in Staff. :unsure: They live IN. I understand fully your dilemma, It is when something goes wrong or you need them that the problem will arise. you want a lay in, had a beer too many. Wife has a fever, aggh i am a man I don't Multi Role 1%20(103).gif and we have Locked the Maid/Helper /Nanny OUT. This will be a minor problem at the end. of the day ( trust me, we have been there). If you have found a good one, ( and it seems you have.) you will not even notice she is there, until you need her.( the good ones respect their position and are very Discreet.) if you need to worry, leave it it till you are looking to move, by then, you will have all come to some understanding of What's What. :thumbsup:

Just make sure she has a Good TV signal and she will be happy. :lol: and if you can afford it. maybe a Laptop. :th_noproblem: I am sure you will over come this one.

:tiphat:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I am really looking forward to having her help. It seemed like a godsend because just recently we had a scare with my girlfriend getting ill and without her I am a hopeless idiot here in the province! :bash:

Hopefully we will be moving into another house in the spring and I will try to find a place that is set up with a maid's quarters.

• Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately OMW .That's the problem with live in Staff. :unsure: They live IN. I understand fully your dilemma, It is when something goes wrong or you need them that the problem will arise. you want a lay in, had a beer too many. Wife has a fever, aggh i am a man I don't Multi Role 1%20(103).gif and we have Locked the Maid/Helper /Nanny OUT. This will be a minor problem at the end. of the day ( trust me, we have been there). If you have found a good one, ( and it seems you have.) you will not even notice she is there, until you need her.( the good ones respect their position and are very Discreet.) if you need to worry, leave it it till you are looking to move, by then, you will have all come to some understanding of What's What. :thumbsup:

Just make sure she has a Good TV signal and she will be happy. :lol: and if you can afford it. maybe a Laptop. :th_noproblem: I am sure you will over come this one.

jack you are jokin aint ya ? a t.v and a laptop ,she won,t do any work lol
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
jack you are jokin aint ya ? a t.v and a laptop ,she won,t do any work lol

Maybe a little less, than expected tiger BUT it would stop her going out to cafes and maybe meeting a lad and getting pregnant. Then OMW will have to start looking all over again :th_unfair: , Of course, one could always install a peso coin meter, for the Electric, :hystery: not sure i could be that mean. :unsure:

Just in my experience, a Happy Helper/ Maid/ Nanny/ YA YA call them what ever, is better than the alternative and there has been plenty written about this :morning1: we bought a Bike for ours to use, she takes our Monster around, to school and things. a little bit of trust ( Not too much) goes a Looong way :) but then, that is us

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
One of the things I was looking forward to in the Philippines was being able to afford hired household help. My girlfriend has been doing everything here since we let her last nanny (not a good one!) go, and sometimes it can be a problem for us, time wise.

One full time liv in servant having ONE child - and as I understand your writing talking about earlier YEARS, I suppose the child isn't small. (It's more than full time to try to keep most 2 year olds in order :hystery:

Do your gf have a full time work outside home, or what will she do except become a shopoholic become bored?... :)

It seemed like a godsend because just recently we had a scare with my girlfriend getting ill and without her I am a hopeless idiot here in the province!

Will you hire a live in FULL TIME servant to have as security for WHEN your gf is ill?? :) I suppose you get to know some trustworthy people, when you live there a while, who you can ask in such situations.

There will be a loss of privacy.

That's why I don't want to have either servants or family-in-law in the home except for short visits. It's left to see if I will manage to make my wife agree concerning her family :hystery:

• Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted

I think if your planning to go back to tour own country in the near future its unwise to have a helper or yaya coz when you get home your wife will have to cope without one because we cant afford them back home.she may struggle coping with all the everyday tasks because you have spoiled her in that department just my 2 cents

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think if your planning to go back to tour own country in the near future its unwise to have a helper or yaya coz when you get home your wife will have to cope without one because we cant afford them back home.she may struggle coping with all the everyday tasks because you have spoiled her in that department just my 2 cents

I have no plans to return and live in the US, and this would be one of the reasons. In the US I hired a house cleaner for one day and it cost me $100! :bash:

• Like 2