Container Living

stevewool
Posted
Posted

yes its been mentioned before lots infact, but next week we are having a 40ft container being delivered to our place of work, i am looking forward to this so i can get sizes and plans to see if its possible, up front and close i will be to it but with the good old english temp, i dont think i will be trying it out for sleeping in it just yet,i am still convinced it could work, but why are not other people doing it then,someone has to be the first, there are some great sites and great places already built but they seem to be in other parts of the world, tropical places too, so dont go on about it being to hot in a tin can please, my thought is this will be a safe place to live and sleep but this will be the centre of the house the container and all around it will be living space with walls and big open windows with a open roof for the winds to blow through, sounds great and looks great in my head too, and the view from the deck is fantastic

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

yes its been mentioned before lots infact, but next week we are having a 40ft container being delivered to our place of work, i am looking forward to this so i can get sizes and plans to see if its possible, up front and close i will be to it but with the good old english temp, i dont think i will be trying it out for sleeping in it just yet,i am still convinced it could work, but why are not other people doing it then,someone has to be the first, there are some great sites and great places already built but they seem to be in other parts of the world, tropical places too, so dont go on about it being to hot in a tin can please, my thought is this will be a safe place to live and sleep but this will be the centre of the house the container and all around it will be living space with walls and big open windows with a open roof for the winds to blow through, sounds great and looks great in my head too, and the view from the deck is fantastic

I know it can function.

It have been used on oil rigs in at least in the North Sea (=between England and Scandinavia).

I bought one of them second hand and use it as extention to my house in Sweden (=Built together and painted so it look suiting at least on a bit distance, although my main house is old style timber and the container is metal, but the front covers have similar "rib" sizes and positionings. It functions to heat OK, but cost some extra because less issolation than prefered. I suppose they didn't bother much about the heating costs at oil rigs :) where they can use gas for heating/make electricity for heating.

BUT for us expats to use for living I see it more if wanting to have chance to MOVE the house of some reason.

If want a SECURE part in a PERMANENT house, then I suppose it's better to build it in concreete/filled hollow blocks with strong door. Such can stand typhons, so I suppose they can be made so they can stand burglers too :)

I don't know, but several have told normal Filipin burglers only attack if they get confronted, they try to AVOID confrontations.

In Zamboanga province there have been several kidnappings for ransom pay, but I don't know if any were taken from their home, and I don't know the situation after peace treaty with guerilla, but some expats expected no big difference, expecting it will be criminal gangs formed among parts of old guerilla.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Several reason its not a good idea here

1 To hot living in a metal box

2 As cheap as they are its still cheaper to build with hollow blocks

3 ugly ugly ugly

Look online in China you can buy prefabbed ones for the price of a empty one here . It not a good idea or people would be doing it all over .

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

there are some in the Philippines ,there is one in Davao they made a business and there is a resort that have them, there are web sites you can go to tell you all about it, i see them for sale here in Davao Citypost-1206-0-24095300-1355627866_thumb.jppost-1206-0-92882400-1355627869_thumb.jppost-1206-0-53396600-1355627881_thumb.pnpost-1206-0-62702500-1355627884.jpg

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Many do look like a single width Mobile Home like you would see in Canada or the US. Put 2 side by side and you have got a standard good old fashioned Double-Wide! The big difference? The metal walls might be a bit thicker... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Several reason its not a good idea here

1 To hot living in a metal box

2 As cheap as they are its still cheaper to build with hollow blocks

3 ugly ugly ugly

Look online in China you can buy prefabbed ones for the price of a empty one here . It not a good idea or people would be doing it all over .

Corect. But when it's possible to issolate from Minus 20 C outside > plus 20 C inside = 40 C different, then I suppose it's possible to issolate 40 > 25 :)

Roofs don't need to be flat, an angled roof can issolate easier against sun.

• Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

too hot climate here for it.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know how much an empty 40ft container would cost in the Philippines?

sjp52
Posted
Curley
Posted
Posted

For me there is only ONE reason to consider living in a converted container........................ portability.