Container Living

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Many of the mobile homes we have here in Canada and the US are quite cool through the hot summers. It all has to do with the insulation applied and a roofing put on to assist in keeping it cool. I can't see why that can't be done on a container since it is basically the same idea.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
robert k
Posted
Posted

The container sounds like a great idea except I think the maximum width inside is going to be 2.4 meters and a double bed is going to be a tight squeeze. I think they cheated a little with the floorplan pictures. I did read something that said it's about the same cost to build a new container as it was to buy a used one, except the skin probably wouldn't be hi-tensile steel. I think this would allow you to increase your living space for little more cost if you built your own, or had it built oversize, an extra 500mm/ 20 inches would probably make a world of difference without adding much steel. Foam insulation on the outside could be as thick as you desired or could afford, I think stucco would look nice on the outside of the walls. If you want to be able to pick it up and move it I would place drains and hookups exiting the walls rather than the floor. Shower would probably have to have a base raised about 6 inches. Just some thoughts, still not a clue what I'm going to live in. :)

• Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I ever build one,this would be it.. With a native roof designed with exterior wall shading utilising large eves,heat is not really an issue..

Only problems as mentioned are rather narrow rooms on each side..

That said.. No foundations required and can be assembled, disassembled on leased land.

40 ft long units available for around 120k.

XSpFj.jpg

Edited by fred
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The container sounds like a great idea except I think the maximum width inside is going to be 2.4 meters and a double bed is going to be a tight squeeze. I think they cheated a little with the floorplan pictures. 

Well. A "Container house" don't need to be in only container size, E g the one I made a fast exbantion of my house in Sweden with, come in 40 feet container size, but it's "foldable" so it end up being around 4 meters wider than a normal container. 

(It arrives looking as a normal container.

Then fold down the sides so they become extended floor,

push out the sides behind (running on rails, don't need any much power) and lock them. Roof is connected to each side allready, so now is it tight.

Mount the inner walls, so get different rooms (Mine has 3 rooms, 2 toilets and pentry with refrigirator, but they where premade in different floor plans than that too.)

Electricity and pipes are premade, so just need to connect electricity and VVS on the outside and all are done.

Premade built in system with electric heating/cooling through ventilation too.

Made of steel frames with aluminium double walls and roof with styrofoam issolation in between, keeping the heat rather good at the wanted side =In Swedish case keep it INSIDE mostly  :)

The price was around 10 500 USD including transport, but that was second hand and many years ago. Less complicated floor plans, with less wireing and such, did cost less. This one have unnecesary much wireing. E g in  the smallest room there are 2 separate electric wireing ending in 3 double wall contacts!)

If it had been shorter to RP from Sweden (=less tranport costs) I could have fould it back  :)  and bring it when I move.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

If I ever build one,this would be it.. With a native roof designed with exterior wall shading utilising large eves,heat is not really an issue..

Only problems as mentioned are rather narrow rooms on each side..

That said.. No foundations required and can be assembled, disassembled on leased land.

40 ft long units available for around 120k.

XSpFj.jpg

That looks a bit bigger than a container, what do you really get for PHP 120K ?

Jimbo1361
Posted
Posted

Hello you guys, I was going to build the exact same type of container house on northern Guam. It is a good structure but it is hard to cool if not designed correctly. The cost of containers on Guam was $3500 for a insulated 40foot container delivered to my building site. Gorilla housing was just not my way to go. I never could get an idea if the structure would be grandfathered in so I pulled the plug. The only way for me to be able to afford living on Guam was that I was retired military and could get cheaper imported beef and food.

Back to the subject if you guys who are living in PI  give me an idea on price per hollow block construction I will try to do the rough math. I know if you cut the insides out of the interior walls on opposite ends you can make a wider room. I was building my own container compound on the design  : WFH House, Wuxi, China, by Arcgency, 2013

I have the Picture I just am not able to get it inserted into the forum. If you search the Name listed above it will show a bamboo roofed house. I figure with the seismic activity time to time around the world is something we all should look at. If any want the photo shoot a pm how to insert the photo or I can email to you  Have a good one when I move full time to PI this fall I might look into this myself once I get a grip on local builders.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

You are buying a 40 ft container that has not been modified. The photograph shows the central section for a living room, dining and and kitchen. The roof is on top of two containers extending over the containers and acting as a insulation against heat. The strength of the containers are sufficient to carry the weight of the roof. Use of bamboo poles makes the roof even lighter. The design permits up to four bedrooms, two on each side. You are limited by the interior width, which is about nine feet depending whether or not insulating materials are used. 

I read that used containers are cheaper in the United States because Americans import more goods than they export. It's too expensive to ship empty containers back to manufacturing plants in China, Korea, Japan, etc. Popular usage includes backyard storage in rural communities and for the construction of inexpensive home construction. 

Edited by JJReyes

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I have the Picture I just am not able to get it inserted into the forum.

This link has instructions for adding pictures to posts:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/9938-basic-posting-tutorial/

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

You are buying a 40 ft container that has not been modified. The photograph shows the central section for a living room, dining and and kitchen. The roof is on top of two containers extending over the containers and acting as a insulation against heat. The strength of the containers are sufficient to carry the weight of the roof. Use of bamboo poles makes the roof even lighter. The design permits up to four bedrooms, two on each side. You are limited by the interior width, which is about nine feet depending whether or not insulating materials are used. 

I read that used containers are cheaper in the United States because Americans import more goods than they export. It's too expensive to ship empty containers back to manufacturing plants in China, Korea, Japan, etc. Popular usage includes backyard storage in rural communities and for the construction of inexpensive home construction. 

Alright, now it make sense, but I can see there are other walls built with something else so why not building the whole house without containers? Are you sure that by using containers will be cheaper in the PI?

Thanks

GregZ
Posted
Posted
Are you sure that by using containers will be cheaper in the PI?

The container thing SOUNDS good and LOOKS good in THEIR pictures.  In the end I have to say that I have built unconventional before.  Whenever you do that you open yourself up to having to adapt conventional building with the unconventional.  You will have trouble finding OTHER people to work on it.  IF they are willing they want to charge more because it will take them extra time to figure things out and to talk to you endlessly about what you have.  IF you are willing to do all the work yourself there is possibly something here. 

For ME, I will not touch it.  Hollow block and RP conventional building is cheap enough if you coordinate and play general contractor for yourself, or if really cheap do the work yourself.  I prefer to let the folks that work for low wages have a chance to make some hours. Consider it a charitable contribution if it makes you feel better.

Also, down the road if there are issues that need addressing they are likely known issues if you use known construction.  My unconventional building experience before had me and many others baffled at WHERE a particular leak was coming from for example.

:tiphat:

• Like 1