Moving To Mactan

seraglios
Posted
Posted

Merry Christmas!

First of all, I have been reading many of the posts for several days now to get an understanding of living and working in Cebu (Mactan specifically) and have gained trmendously from the wealth of information. I can see that this community is close knit and it's great to be a part of it now...soon actually :)

I have accepted a job offer and will be moving to Mactan mid January. I would prefer to stay in Mactan (place of work around Shangri-La). I would ideally be looking for a 2 Bed room with a budget of PHP 30,000. Could someone please advise me on the best subdivision in Mactan when it come to security and ammenties (like a swimming pool for the son).

Also, are power outages common?

Thank you in advance for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Kristofer

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I'm surprised someone can not answer this question. Anyway what type of job did you find if I can ask?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I also missed this question sorry bout that Kristofer.

Can't help you with a home to rent but there are many places to be had within your budget. Best to just look around after you are there a month or so get a feel for the area first. Lapu Lapu is a large town on Mactan and has some serious crime issues.

The power goes out sometimes but not for days at a time.

There are two bridges to Mactan from the larger island of Cebu. Traffic can be very heavy at times so living on Mactan would be more convenient than in Cebu City.

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted

We live in Pacific Grand Villas an easy drive to your area. PGV has wide roads, nice homes, and is safe (except for the one time the bill collector grabbed teh guards sawed off shot gun and shot homeownere in a heated argument ) . subdv. there are plenty of home for rent in the 25 - 30 K and up range. I like it as its nice for walks around and biking. My kids have enjoyed biking and running the dog and occasional basketball. a pool is being built (no guarantees when it will be done)

• Like 2

seraglios
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for your replies.

@ Jollygoodfellow: I was amazed too :) I am a Hotelier by profession and am joining one of the resorts in Mactan. I believe I cant give personal identifiable information here so can't mention which.

@ Old55 and Samatm: Thanks for your advise. I didnt know about the crime scene. Its rather important for my wife and baby (Malaysians) remain safe, I would be working my b**t off 6 days a week (real slave drivers... i have been used to 5 day weeks for ages). Since my post I was also exploring the options of condos from a security perspective. I got in touch with a real estate agent and am looking at "La Mirada" which is close to Vistamar Resort. In your opinion is that a relatively safe area? I know no area is completely safe anywhere as such, but relatively speaking in your opinion?

In case La Mirada falls through, i will be sure to look up PGV. i just google mapped it and its a relatively short drive to my place of work.

Happy New Year to all of you and thanks once again

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for your replies.

@ Jollygoodfellow: I was amazed too :) I am a Hotelier by profession and am joining one of the resorts in Mactan. I believe I cant give personal identifiable information here so can't mention which.

@ Old55 and Samatm: Thanks for your advise. I didnt know about the crime scene. Its rather important for my wife and baby (Malaysians) remain safe, I would be working my b**t off 6 days a week (real slave drivers... i have been used to 5 day weeks for ages). Since my post I was also exploring the options of condos from a security perspective. I got in touch with a real estate agent and am looking at "La Mirada" which is close to Vistamar Resort. In your opinion is that a relatively safe area? I know no area is completely safe anywhere as such, but relatively speaking in your opinion?

In case La Mirada falls through, i will be sure to look up PGV. i just google mapped it and its a relatively short drive to my place of work.

Happy New Year to all of you and thanks once again

Sergio,

good luck. As far as I know the area is safe and well behaved. I am not that familiar with the condo though. PGV is safe and there are scores of Korean Families here many working in the tourism industry as well. You see lil Korean babies and toddlers and their YaYa's all over the place. Its interesting to note that in general Chinese from HK, Taiwan, Singapore -think of Philippines as being very unsafe for a family ...while the Koreans think nothing about it and are here in droves. If you like condo living .. check out the Movenpic condo tower for any rentals... full use of the resort, nice location. I prefer space myself and have a plenty large yard where two doggies roam.

• Like 3

seraglios
Posted
Posted
Sergio, good luck. As far as I know the area is safe and well behaved. I am not that familiar with the condo though. PGV is safe and there are scores of Korean Families here many working in the tourism industry as well. You see lil Korean babies and toddlers and their YaYa's all over the place. Its interesting to note that in general Chinese from HK, Taiwan, Singapore -think of Philippines as being very unsafe for a family ...while the Koreans think nothing about it and are here in droves. If you like condo living .. check out the Movenpic condo tower for any rentals... full use of the resort, nice location. I prefer space myself and have a plenty large yard where two doggies roam.

@ samatm: You are quite right there, Its funny how perceptions work. When I was in Kuala Lumpur around 10 years ago and contemplating a job in East Malaysia Borneo, I was cautioned against going there. I was told that pople live on trees, no roads, cannibals, etc. Years later it was Indonesia and I was told about abject poverty. Same was with Vietnam. I loved the time spent in all these locations and hope Philippines turns out to be a similar experience.

I did get a reply from another agent who has a Movenpick condo to rent. Shall pursure that as well. Personally, I love town houses too and will for sure check it out before I make a call on either option.

Thanks again.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good morning Guys,

Do you see what I see......the makings of a really good friendship, even though they have not met yet.

Our newest member Seraglios (Kristofer) will probably be late for his new job in Mactan because our

other member Samatm properly corrupted him in the nightlife of Mactan.

Can I join you guys, pretty please?

By the way Kristofer, welcome to the most friendliest and the most craziest forum in town. The Boss

Man (Jollygoodfellow) is the forum owner and hails from Down Under. Yeah.....we will all properly

corrupt you......he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

samatm
Posted
Posted

Good morning Guys,

Do you see what I see......the makings of a really good friendship, even though they have not met yet.

Our newest member Seraglios (Kristofer) will probably be late for his new job in Mactan because our

other member Samatm properly corrupted him in the nightlife of Mactan.

Can I join you guys, pretty please?

By the way Kristofer, welcome to the most friendliest and the most craziest forum in town. The Boss

Man (Jollygoodfellow) is the forum owner and hails from Down Under. Yeah.....we will all properly

corrupt you......he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake

Jake I have a feeling that the one with a Homer / Bart riding a hog avatar (Seraglios) will be the one "corrupting" not the other way around.

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted
Sergio, good luck. As far as I know the area is safe and well behaved. I am not that familiar with the condo though. PGV is safe and there are scores of Korean Families here many working in the tourism industry as well. You see lil Korean babies and toddlers and their YaYa's all over the place. Its interesting to note that in general Chinese from HK, Taiwan, Singapore -think of Philippines as being very unsafe for a family ...while the Koreans think nothing about it and are here in droves. If you like condo living .. check out the Movenpic condo tower for any rentals... full use of the resort, nice location. I prefer space myself and have a plenty large yard where two doggies roam.

@ samatm: You are quite right there, Its funny how perceptions work. When I was in Kuala Lumpur around 10 years ago and contemplating a job in East Malaysia Borneo, I was cautioned against going there. I was told that pople live on trees, no roads, cannibals, etc. Years later it was Indonesia and I was told about abject poverty. Same was with Vietnam. I loved the time spent in all these locations and hope Philippines turns out to be a similar experience.

I did get a reply from another agent who has a Movenpick condo to rent. Shall pursure that as well. Personally, I love town houses too and will for sure check it out before I make a call on either option.

Thanks again.

When will you be arriving? What is your budget, Do you need full furnish ? If I see something in the neighborhood , I'll let you know.

• Like 2