My Thoughts About Been Back In Australia

Curley
Posted
Posted

A very good post, similar thoughts have been going through my mind if you've read my post, second thoughts. I'm off to Colombia very shortly to explore the possibilities there, perhaps marry a Fillipina and take her there?

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

Last haircut I had in Aussie cost me $24 for a short back and sides. I can tell you the barber didn't get a tip. I can keep my hair regularly trimmed in Cebu...don't need to leave my hair for 3 months before a trip to the barber hehehe. Does that sound kuripot haha?

Edited by Fred & Mimi
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I can see that you have thought about this a great deal and have formulated some sound opinions so I will only comment on two parts that stand out:

the worrying thing is that there is rarely an arrest or anyone sent to jail for the crime.

If you are murdered in the Philippines will it really make any difference if anyone is arrested? You'll still be dead. I was a victim of a home break-in and the only way someone was going to be arrested was if I made a false statement and paid some grease. I decided it would not change my life or his life one bit whether he was arrested or not and I was still not getting my stuff back.

the police will hardly ever help you if you get in trouble

The police will help you but you have to pay them. Anyone I know, myself and close friends included, offer some kind of aid to the police when we need their help. That may be as simple as giving gas money for their vehicle or rice for the station house or it may involve paying actual cash to an officer who will put in some extra time to help you with your situation. It is not a lot of money but its the only way I know to get the police to help you here if you get in trouble.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Last haircut I had in Aussie cost me $24 for a short back and sides. I can tell you the barber didn't get a tip. I can keep my hair regularly trimmed in Cebu...don't need to leave my hair for 3 months before a trip to the barber hehehe. Does that sound kuripot haha?

Yes but the average wage in the Philippines is what, 250 peso a day where in Australia the wage for an average type job is say $250 a day so I can see why a haircut in Australia is going to cost a bit more. All depends on where your income is coming from as the Filipino will be thinking how expensive it is for him to get a haircut.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I love the Philippines and the Filipino people.

We have reached a position that if we chose to we could move to Philippines full time. for many years that was our plan. Having children is a deal breaker. I would not raise my children in Philippines.

If were just the wife and I having a home in Cebu or Leyte then spending a month or so in the States each year would be sweet.

• Like 5

bows00
Posted
Posted

This topic should be examined by all expats that have a distorted disneyland view of the philippines. Yes, the filipinas are wonderful, but an evaluation of the degraded social issues are worth bringing to light here. Bottom line for me, is the impact on my overall quality of life. And it is a very difficult decision to make - balancing between the beautiful girls, low costs, crime, infrastructure, poverty, etc..

And there is another issue of bringing a filipina back to your home country that needs to be addressed here. All the qualities that distinguishes a filipina from an American (or Aussie in your case) will be in jeopardy. There are countless examples where Filipinas are brought back US only to become Americanized... so for me personally, I am to live the rest of my life with a filipina, I would have to resort to finding a place in the Philippines to make my home.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A lot of the ex-military guys will know this...

I am a firm believer that, no matter where you live, it is what you make of it that determines if you will enjoy being there or not. Get involved in different groups that interest you. Go out sight seeing. Go on day trips. Meet people. Experience different cultures. And while you are out doing these things, let those around you know that you appreciate what they offer and are enjoying your time with them. Not everywhere you go and everything you see will be as exciting as the last but put things into perspective and just enjoy them for what they are. Somebody will pop in and say I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about yet I have done this in over 30 countries so far - places where the majority of others sent along with me would curse and swear about how bad it is - and I have had a great time in each and every one!

One point for those of you who aren't happy because you feel you aren't liked where you are? If the above doesn't do anything for you, maybe you should change neighbourhoods? What would you do at home if you felt the same way?

Sure - no place is perfect, but if it was, it would have been so over-run and over-populated long before we knew about it. And then it wouldn't be perfect any more, would it? I guess it's easiest to say that we have to learn to accept a place for the way it is.

• Like 5