Marriage Requirements

brock
Posted
Posted

HOW TO APPLY FOR A CERTIFICATE OF NO IMPEDIMENT (CNI)

How to proceed if you already have a CNI issued by a Registrar of Marriages in the United Kingdom, or a British Embassy/Consulate Overseas

The Registrar in the UK, or the Consular Official at the British Embassy/Consulate overseas, will require you to appear personally before him. Your Notice of Marriage will have to be posted on his notice board for 21 days before he can issue your CNI. When the procedure is completed, the Registrar in the UK will give you a CNI, which you must present to the British Embassy Manila or to the British Honorary Consul in Cebu.

The local CNI will be available after your appointment if all the documents are in order and there will be no requirement for you to re-visit the Embassy.

If you have applied at another Embassy/Consulate overseas, the Embassy/Consulate will forward a copy of the Notice of Marriage (NOM), properly endorsed, to the British Embassy in Manila or Honorary Consulate in Cebu. Once this is received, a local CNI can be issued. You will need to make an appointment to collect the local CNI and will need to produce other documents.

See ANNEXES A and either C or D for requirements.

How to proceed if you have not obtained a CNI issued by a Registrar of Marriages in the United Kingdom, or a British Embassy/Consulate Overseas

If you do not already have a CNI issued from a UK registrar, you will have to comply with the Marriage with Foreigners Act 1906. This requires that you reside in the Philippines for twenty-one (21) clear days before giving notice of your intended marriage and this period of residence must be immediately prior to acceptance of the Notice. Twenty-one (21) clear days means that the latest (arrival date) stamped in your passport and the day you submit your Notice of Intention to Marry will not be counted. Once we have received the notice, you no longer have to remain in the Philippines.

The requirement for 21-day period residency is waived if you can present any of the following: a valid ACR-I card, Permanent Resident-I Card, or a Retiree Visa.

When you give notice of your intended marriage:

you will be required to swear an Affidavit before a Consular Officer/Honorary Consul to the effect that you are not aware of any impediment to the marriage (including previous marriages)

your Notice of Marriage will then be displayed in a public place in the Embassy/Consulate for a further twenty-one (21) clear days (excluding the day you swear the Affidavit).

The local CNI will be issued the day after the twenty-one (21) clear day period has elapsed. This whole process takes 42 days.

If you are resident in another foreign country (not Commonwealth country), please contact the local British Embassy/Consulate for details of how to give notice of your marriage in the Philippines.

See ANNEXES B and either C or D for requirements.

How to proceed if you are a resident of a Commonwealth country

Separate procedures apply if you are resident in a Commonwealth country. You should seek advice from your nearest British High Commission, who should then contact the British Embassy Manila for guidance.

We would suggest that you advertise your notice of marriage in a leading English newspaper. Notify the British High Commission, who in turn will notify the British Embassy Manila. We will then be in a position to issue a local CNI. You must make an appointment by sending an e-mail to HYPERLINK "mailto:Manila.ConsAppointment@fco.gov.uk" Manila.ConsAppointment@fco.gov.uk

Below is a sample of a newspaper advertisement:

I, (FULL NAME), British National currently residing at (FULL ADDRESS), hereby give notice of my intention to marry (FULL NAME OF FIANCEE/FIANCE), a (CITIZENSHIP OF FIANCEE) in (PROPOSED PLACE OF MARRIAGE) on (PROPOSED DATE OF MARRIAGE). I hereby give notice that if anyone raises legal objection to the proposed marriage on the grounds of incapacity of either party of other lawful impediment, then such objection must be communicated with the British High Commission in (COMMONWEALTH COUNTRY), or the British Embassy, Manila (Tel No: 00632.858.2200), within 21 days from the date of this publication.

Note: Please include the address and the telephone number of the British High Commission.

See ANNEXES A and either C or D for requirements.

IMPORTANT

We are unable to issue a CNI if you have been married, whether in the Philippines or another country.

If a wedding ceremony has already taken place in the Philippines, and you did not obtain a local CNI from either the Embassy or Cebu Consulate we may, in some circumstances, be able to issue you a CNI, but only three (3) months after the ceremony date, and certificates of no marriage (CENOMARs) must be produced for both parties.

Once the local CNI has been issued by the Embassy/Consulate, you should apply for a marriage licence from the Philippine local civil registrar who will then post the notice of application for a period of 10 days, after which the marriage may take place. Should a marriage licence be issued without compliance with the 10-day publication rule, the local Registrar will be held liable – civilly, criminally and administratively.

The Philippine authorities will only consider a Philippine marriage dissolved if it was the foreigner spouse who filed the divorce petition. In this case, the Filipino must, first of all, have the divorce certificate which was handed down by a foreign court, accepted by a court in the Philippines and would need to file a special proceeding for the recognition of a foreign court granted divorce before a regional trial court in the Philippines, BEFORE he/she can remarry in the Philippines. We will need to see evidence of this.

What can hold up the issue of a local certificate of no impediment (CNI)?

If either the British applicant or the fiancée/fiancé has been married before, and fails to declare this to the Embassy

Submission of fake/forged documents - this may also lead to your arrest

Submission of copies rather than original documents

The non-filing of a special proceeding for the recognition of a foreign court granted Divorce, before a regional trial court in the Philippines, by the Filipino partner holding a foreign divorce certificate

Submission of Philippine birth and death certificates issued by a local registrar

NOTE: British immigration law requires a person seeking entry to the United Kingdom for settlement as the spouse of a British subject to hold a current entry clearance (visa) granted for that purpose. The spouse of a British national does not automatically acquire British citizenship on marriage, nor does he/she have the automatic right to settle in the United Kingdom. The Consular Section of the British Embassy and the Honorary Consulate in Cebu are both unable to answer any questions relating to the issue of visas. Please contact HYPERLINK "mailto:info.ukph@vfshelpline.com" info.ukph@vfshelpline.com for visa-related queries.

CNI fee (£ 65 for the issue of the CNI) payable only in Philippine pesos, in cash, calculated at the current Consular rate of exchange.

For British National applicant born in the UK:

Original UK passport. If applicant is overseas, a certified copy of the data page; a photostatic or electronic copy of the certified page is not acceptable.

Original UK-issued CNI, or original Notice of Marriage, issued by the British Embassy abroad. Please note that a CNI issued in Scotland should be presented to the British Embassy Manila within 3 months of it being issued.

If widow/widower, present original death certificate of deceased spouse, or a certified copy. If spouse died in the Philippines, present

death certificate of deceased spouse

Advisory on Marriage (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR

Marriage certificate with proper annotation declaring, if applicable, the presumptive death of spouse

If divorced/annulled, present original divorce decree absolute/annulment papers, or a certified copy. If annulled in the Philippines, please present the following documents:

Advisory of Marriage Record (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR

Certificate of Finality and full court documents, including decision

Marriage certificate, with proper annotation declaring the marriage null and void

If you have previously obtained a local CNI from the British Embassy Manila or Honorary Consulate Cebu, you must then obtain an Advisory of Marriage (CRS Form 5) from the NSO in lieu of a CENOMAR.

For British applicant who is naturalized and was born in the Philippines:

All of the above plus:

birth certificate

Naturalisation certificate

CNI fees (£65 for the posting of notice, and £65 for the issue of the CNI) payable only in Philippine pesos, in cash, calculated at the current Consular rate of exchange.

1. For British National applicant born in the UK:

Original UK passport: The passport MUST show that you have been in the Philippines for 21 days, since your last arrival. You can submit your application on the 22nd day of your stay.

If widow/widower, present original death certificate of deceased spouse, or a certified copy. If spouse died in the Philippines, present

death certificate of deceased spouse

Advisory on Marriage (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR

Marriage certificate with proper annotation declaring, if applicable, the presumptive death of spouse

If divorced/annulled, present original divorce decree absolute/annulment papers, or a certified copy. If annulled in the Philippines, please present the following documents:

Marriage certificate, with proper annotation declaring the marriage null and void

If you have previously obtained a local CNI from the British Embassy Manila or Honorary Consulate Cebu, you must then obtain an Advisory of Marriage (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR.

For British applicant who is naturalized and was born in the Philippines:

All of the above plus:

birth certificate

Naturalisation certificate

birth certificate

CENOMAR with details matching those on birth certificate and, if name/etc on birth certificate differs from passport, another CENOMAR matching the details on the passport. This will not be required for widowed/annulled applicant

If applicable, original passport

If divorced, present the original divorce decree absolute

If annulled, please present the following documents:

If widow/widower, present death certificate of deceased spouse, and include the following documents:

Valid original passport

A CENOMAR is a certificate of no marriage issued by the NSO. It certifies that the applicant has no record of marriage in the Philippines. It may be ordered online through www.e-census.com.ph.

We are able to ascertain authenticity of NSO-issued certificates and will contact the NSO if we have doubts regarding the submitted documents

PAGE 2

PAGE 4

CONSULAR SECTION

British Embassy Manila

120 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Hill, Taguig City 1634

Tel: +63 2 858 2200 / Fax: +63 2 858 2342

Email: Cons.Manila@fco.gov.uk / Website: HYPERLINK http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/philippines http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk

PAGE \* MERGEFORMAT 1

EMBED Word.Picture.8

An appointment must be made before attending the British Embassy Manila. Please send an email to HYPERLINK "mailto:Manila.ConsAppointment@fco.gov.uk" Manila.ConsAppointment@fco.gov.uk at least two (2) weeks before your intended date of visit, indicating your five (5) preferred dates.

If you are applying in Cebu you must make an appointment with the Honorary Consul. Please send an e-mail to HYPERLINK "mailto:Moya.Jackson1@fconet.fco.gov.uk" Moya.Jackson1@fconet.fco.gov.uk for an appointment.

If you turn up at the Embassy without an appointment, you will not be seen. Instead you will be asked to return at a later date to discuss your application.

Failure to produce complete requirements will necessitate another appointment.

All Philippine certificates of birth, marriage, death and no marriage (CENOMARs) must be obtained from the National Statistics Office (NSO) and must have been issued within three (3) months of your appointment, with receipt/s attached. NSO certificates are on coloured paper with a blue NSO seal on the upper left-hand corner. Original documents and/ or certificates issued by the local civil registrar are not acceptable.

For certificates written in a language other than English, a translation duly legalised by the Embassy of that country should be presented. If legalisation was done in another country, a further legalisation by the British Embassy in that country is required.

Photocopies of all certificates should also be provided for our records.

We will need to be satisfied about the authenticity of all documents submitted before we can issue a local CNI.

Please note that No Trace Letters from Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies cannot be exchanged for a CNI.

Please be aware: Under the Perjury Act (1911) it is a criminal offence to knowingly make a false declaration. Offenders face the possibility of a fine and/ or a jail sentence.

The local CNI must be used within three (3) months of issue.

Annex A

CHECKLIST OF REQUIREMENTS

Annex B

CHECKLIST OF REQUIREMENTS

Annex C

REQUIREMENTS FOR A PHILIPPINE CITIZEN FIANCE/FIANCEE

Annex D

REQUIREMENT FOR A NON-FILIPINO FIANCE/FIANCEE

• Like 2

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted

thx for all the info guys !

i already have the CNI issued in Scotland,

i also got that email from the Embassy Brock, but i miss-read it, and thought i had to pay for the CNI exchange to the local version, so thats good news i only need to pay for the notice of marriage, we ordered to CENOMAR`s yesterday over the phone and a friend here paid at some local payment office, 450 peso per CENOMAR, will be delivered on sat ( cutting it a bit fine i know ) as appointment at the Embassy is next monday !

Also Bob i was meaning to what exactly i was to check her NSO, i do know what the ofice is and stands for, anyways my fiancee has confirmed everything filled in on the CENOMAR matches her brth certificate, so we will soon see if there anything that doesnt match up, heres hoping everything goes smoothly but this is the philippines so anything can happen hehe !

again thx for all ur help, i will just have to prepair the correct copies of everything thats required, oh and for the embassy meeting best to wear jeans and cover up tattoos ?

i just know from previous experiance when renewing my visa in Ozamiz my fiancee advised best to not wear shorts for what reason i have no idea ;)

• Like 1

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted

Ok got both our CENOMAR`s, but ran into 1st balls up ! my fathers surname is wrong they`ve use my middle name as his surname, so im guessing this wont be accepted at the appointment with the Embassy, also ive read on the embassy site they wont review the documents until after payment, so whats the options a, reschedule embassy appointment ? b, pay the fee`s explain the error and hope they can see the error, but i guess this is asking to much as its a way to get more money from me.. kinda expected this tbh when my fiancee was reading out all my details to the NSO agent over the phone, she had to read and spell out each name at least 3x each.. ( should have ordered online i know )

like i mentioned before we have time im here until 20th feb, were considering just arranging everything now and marry later in the year, this is the 3rd time ive been to meet my fiancee incase anyone`s thinking ive just arrive purely to marry a girl at 1st sight ;)

all i have paid for so far is the CNI in UK and 2 x CENOMAR so its not as if im a great deal out of pocket, also kinda got shafted with a Xmas bonus from work that i wont get resolved until im back in UK, so this error on my CENOMAR maybe a blessing in disguise, all the signs are pointing at delaying the wedding, we have already got the dress on order paid half, will pay the rest once we get back to Mindinao, she seems ok with delaying, but if possible without being delayed to much longer here in Manila im willing to press on..

just looking for some thoughts and suggestions thxx !

• Like 1

jock_in_a_frock
Posted
Posted

also ive just noticed on the bottom left corner of the CENOMAR,

it has 3 names example

my name = JOHN SMITH

STEVEN SMITH ( fathers CORRECT name ) JULIE ROBERTSON ( mothers correct name )

so its only where it mentions on the main part of the CENOMAR the wrong surname for my father bottom left corner has it correctly..

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ouch! I'm thinking that you will have to go back and get this corrected. Maybe one of our members there would know better?

The NSO web site only lists what to do if the name is incorrect on a Birth Certificate... To save time and expense, I would call the NSO office to ask if they can send you a corrected copy. The fact that they have your father's name correct in one place and not the other shows that it is a clerical error. Don't be surprised if there is a cost though...

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I would call the embassy 1st and see what they say, then go from here. I'm surprised NSO took this information over the phone, I would think IDs and signatures would be required.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I'm surprised NSO took this information over the phone, I would think IDs and signatures would be required.

I agree with you Mike. But when you look at the NSO website, Teleserv is all over it pushing website or telephone service rather than going to an office.

http://nso.citizenservices.com.ph/cenomar

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Aha! Further investigation has proved me wrong again! hehe!

This is the actual NSO website : http://www.census.gov.ph/

The other one I listed is a service to obtain NSO certificates that is sponsored by the government. I will have to investigate my discovery a little further... And it is probably a good idea for others to check it out also.

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted

Dont forget you still have to pay for your local cni £65, also marriage licence,mine cost appox 1500peso,

I also had errors on my cenomar,and was told to get a new one, I was born in Boston in the UK, But told I couldnt be born in two places, on cenomar said I was born in the UK, On my birth certificate it said born in Boston,,They said not possible, get a new one.

make sure you have more than enough copies of everything...Good luck.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

They have very strange requirements here ..... when we got our ML the woman asked for my middle name (which just happens to be my fathers first name) the woman said "no I need your middle name ... again I told her ..... she said what is your mothers family name .... I told her ... she then said than that is you middle name ..... I then whipped out my passport .... BC and US drivers license and showed her .... I then explained that in the US you can have ANY middle name and as long as it is recorded on your BC it is legal ..... she told me "I never heard of such a thing " ..... I find that hard to believe as she must have processed foreign applications before ..... but who knows strange stuff does occur here ..... on a daily basis ..... :hystery: :hystery:

Oh and by the way the exact same thing happened when I applied for my Globe DSL ..... maybe the girls were sisters ..... :mocking: