Monitor Cable

Mike S
Posted
Posted

While I agree that HDMI is the way to go and I have it hooked up on my desktop video card and TV you are limited to what you have by the connections on your equipment ..... upgrading to a cable and an adapter doesn't make it any better than without the adapter ..... you guys also need to remember that we live here in the "Land That Time Forgot" ..... and the newest technology is not always available ..... so why did I buy a DVI monitor instead of a HDMI ?????? ........ simple I needed one now and can't afford to wait a couple of years till technology catches up with us here in the Phils ...... plus by then there will be a new product out and I will still be behind the times ..... :mocking:

The purpose of my post was to show what was available to me at this time and with in my budget ...... by the way I do have my computer and LCD TV hooked up by HDMI ..... but my monitor with it's DVI connection is much clearer and has a much better picture than my HDMI TV ..... plus I can let my asawa watch her daytime programs while I use my computer ..... makes for a happier relationship that way ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

HDMI and DVI are both digital, if all components are the same the image will be no clearer with one or the other. I haven't looked for a monitor here, I didn't know HDMI wasn't readily available. A monitor isn't something I would scrimp on, my eyes aren't getting any younger and I spend too many hours staring at it. A cheaper monitor may look great at first but blur and fade faster.

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted
plus I can let my asawa watch her daytime programs while I use my computer ..... makes for a happier relationship that way .....

I see you also discovered one of the secrets for happy relationships in the Philippines ;) the other important one is putting up with dried fish

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Mike is absolutely correct - you aren't going to get any better quality picture than the lowest level of quality in your set-up. And technology is changing so very quickly this past few years! The monitor I use was considered one of the better ones a few years ago - now it old technology. Tough! It works fine for what I want and need! That is the mistake that many technogeeks (I is one too) make when something different comes out. It is not something that we need but hey! It's new!

Monitors the last few years have made a little progression but the later changes haven't really advanced enough for most people to justify getting a new one for the reason of just because... We have gone from Analog to Digital (picture tube to flat screen) - that was a big step in picture quality. We then had LCD that was easily damaged, Plasma that had short life and easily damaged, and now LED which seems to stand up a lot better. But for the average person, the only real visual quality advance at this stage was getting rid of the Mat screens to a nice glare-free glass look. Signal wise? VGA through to HDMI has some quality changes but various testing as shown that the average person can detect the difference on a normal size system but not really enough to really bother them. Go figure!. Ok, so maybe if you are watching a 60-some inch 1080p system off a BluRay disc, you may prefer the HDMI feed. So if you like what you got now, why worry?

• Like 1