Philippines Ranked Number 2 Destination For 2013

dick mammoth
Posted
Posted

http://www.cntraveller.com/recommended/itineraries/hot-destinations-to-watch-2013

Just read this USA mag has rated the Philippines as the 2nd up and coming place to visit behind Brazil in 2013

Do you think they have it right or maybe looking through rose coloured specs

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just read this USA mag

Interesting article and I am not sure but I read it is: "the UK's leading travel magazine."

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

U.K. edition, Condé Nast Traveller is produced from Condé Nast's offices at Vogue House in London. It is distinguished not only by use of the British spelling of the operative word, but by marked differences in format, content, and particularly design.

Note by JGF

Please do not copy and paste posts full of links unless you break them first as I don't have time to do so. Often links can lead to many places and pose a risk. Just the other day I had to do certain things to rectifie a problem as the link in our Email was compromised so please watch what you post as I don't wish to have back doors or unnecessary links pasted here.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
-no time to remove links
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Rose-colored. Palawan's underground river being named one of the 7 Wonders was great publicity but there's too many problems and a well-deserved bad reputation for crime and corruption. Then there's that airport.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted
Note by JGF Please do not copy and paste posts full of links unless you break them first as I don't have time to do so. Often links can lead to many places and pose a risk. Just the other day I had to do certain things to rectifie a problem as the link in our Email was compromised so please watch what you post as I don't wish to have back doors or unnecessary links pasted here.

:th_imstupid: :th_th7: :bonk: My humble apologies, I should know better. :tiphat:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

What you see in a Travel magazine and what you will encounter in real life is rarely the same.

My home town is Niagara Falls (yeah, I am living in Hamilton for now) and I can tell you just as many horror stories compared to the average article on the Philippines. Actually we usually laugh quite hard at how completely wrong so many of these articles were. Yes, when the tourists reach high numbers in population, crime - especially pickpockets - is rampant, unemployment is amazingly high, the bridge to the USA becomes a parking lot and every tourist coming through is just another sucker to be charged exorbitantly high prices - not to mention that these prices are nothing like you will see anywhere else! Let's all go to Denny's for the $45 coffee and order of toast! You don't hear about things like this in the travel mags but it is the norm. And I wasn't joking about the $45 at Denny's. The Philippines is a beautiful country and, yes, it has many things wrong with it. So does every other country in the world. We just aren't concentrating on the others so much to know.

Bottom line? Travel magazines don't publish while wearing Rose Coloured Glasses - more like Blinders. :mocking:

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

You never see the Philippines advertised in any travel agent in the UK, I wonder why ?

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

You never see the Philippines advertised in any travel agent in the UK, I wonder why ?

Simply because the Philippines doesn't market itself to the travel trade. Countries like the US, Thailand and Malaysia organise "familiarisation trips" for travel agents where the host country pays for all travel and accommodation and its tourism department organise trips to local places of interest.

• Like 2

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

I don't have a clue, perhaps Markham is correct, but we often see it advertised here in California. In most of the Asian shopping areas there is at least 1 travel agency with posters and banners offering trips to various areas of the Philippines including a number of tour packages to tourist areas.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I read Conde Nast Traveller quit regularly but missed this article. I enjoyed reading it.

They are good at finding vacation spots that aren't always well known. So I think they are letting people know how great the view is in the PI's even if the Philippine government doesn't seem to be doing much to promote tourism. Mexico has really done well at promoting tourism even though their infrastructure is terrible. So I'm sure the PI's could do pretty well if they tried... but I have not seen much forward thinking there. It is like tomorrow may not come so who cares. The distance from Europe and the US will limit their tourism appeal but to the right class it could really catch on. (right class meaning people with enough time and money to travel - not the weekend trip)

~Edit~

Just saw this on the Amsterdam page.... terrible news.... be & breakfast?? Ho sad.

"The former Red Light District has had a good going-over. In recent months the city council have been closing down the red-light establishments to create something altogether nicer - less stag-do, more chic-weekender.Popping up in the empty brothels now are fashion boutiques, boutique B&B's, and little art galleries by up-and-coming designers. "

Edited by Tuka Ram
  • Like 1