Balikbayan Box....

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
They don't publicize their procedures but from what I have read they do random scans of outbound cargo looking for weapons and illegal substances, not TVs.

Homeland Security is scanning for weapons and currency (bundled money). The newly issued notes have a security feature that makes it easier for scanners to detect.

LBC in Los Angeles was very restrictive on what they would accept when I called them in October. I have a feeling that they got busted and/or they are being very careful about accepting anything that might trigger an outbound container inspection at the port. If hat happens they have to absorb the cost of the inspection.

LBC was caught red handed by the Central Bank of the Philippines. They lost their license. Their containers are inspected at the port of entry. From what I heard, the containers by other shippers are not opened unless theire is suspicion of contraband like firearms. What Philippine Customs agents check are the manifest or inventory list. If your list includes "Computer," that's a red flag. Sometimes they won't open the entire containerload (too much work). They simply collect a tax irregardless of the value of the computer. That's my reason for vagueness.

When I shipped my 46 inch via LBC there was no extra charge because it was a tv, they based it on the dimensions of the box. Since I shipped it in the original carton, labeling it "household goods" wouldn't really fool anyone.

Shipping a television in the original container is problematic. They would know right away it is brand new. It might be worthwhile to repack to make it appear as "Used Household Goods."

• Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted
including some big screen tvs

Can you ask them what their rate is for the large tv's?

An agent for another company in Cincinnati said they were shipping lots of TVs and said the "import tax" was $100, similar to what was mentioned above. This particular agent I found to be trustworthy so I think it is legit.

I don't really care who gets the "tax" if I can save some money getting a big screen.

Where is the Atlas office in LA?

I just called and got the following answers:

A Flat Screen of 50" size would cost approximately $550 to send over to the island of Luzon. This includes the shipper providing the "crate" and the prep of such. The gal I spoke to said she was not ware of any "tax".

The office is located in Covina, CA.

Here is their web link: http://atlasshippers.com/

It might be worth the time to contact them with actual specifics as to size and where it is being shipped as it would likely adjust the price. Perhaps by their "crating" they can do some sort of guarantee plus it avoids the obviousness of a printed label Flat Screen box. More security and "out of site out of mind" on the customs side?

They may also be able to ship a flat screen "naked" using the original box. This is what I might have seen yesterday on my visit.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Shipping a television in the original container is problematic.

The agent I talked to in Cincinnati said her customers were buying brand new and shipping in the original box without an issue. This was the one quoting a $100 "import tax", so I don't know what that actually is.

In fact, I decided not to ship my TVs because I did not have a good box and crating is expensive. Later in LA I discovered Box Bros. and they carry boxes for big screens, if anyone needs one.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I just called and got the following answers: A Flat Screen of 50" size would cost approximately $550 to send over to the island of Luzon. This includes the shipper providing the "crate" and the prep of such. The gal I spoke to said she was not ware of any "tax". The office is located in Covina, CA. Here is their web link: http://atlasshippers.com/ It might be worth the time to contact them with actual specifics as to size and where it is being shipped as it would likely adjust the price. Perhaps by their "crating" they can do some sort of guarantee plus it avoids the obviousness of a printed label Flat Screen box. More security and "out of site out of mind" on the customs side? They may also be able to ship a flat screen "naked" using the original box. This is what I might have seen yesterday on my visit.

Thanks for checking! Later on I might consider having my family ship me one. You can get a decent deal on 40" and below here now, but anything larger is ridiculous!

• Like 1

buttercup1984
Posted
Posted
humm.??? in california its only $55 yet in colorado its $110.00. could it be 1.that it has more of a distance to travel from Co to CA?

uummmmmm yaaaa i knooowwww.... obviously you think im slow or something so i will talk slow for you ...SMH

NO PROBLEM PAYING THIS AMOUNT, JUST A FREAKING SURPRISE IT WAS DOUBLE THE PRICE. WASN'T EVEN COMPLAINING JUST LETTING PEOPLE KNOW HOW MUCH IT WAS IN COLORADO

thanks everyone for all the tips.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
humm.??? in california its only $55 yet in colorado its $110.00. could it be 1.that it has more of a distance to travel from Co to CA?

I believe the reason is because there is a much greater Filipino population in Calif. than in Colorado so they would get much more business and that would reflect on the cost ..... plus more competition makes a healthier market ..... customer wise .... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I'm using 24x17x27 Forex boxes and was told either $100 or $120 each (can't remember), shipping from Dallas, Texas. Too bad I am not closer to the coast.

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
plus more competition makes a healthier market ..... customer wise

Love that market inspired pricing !

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hawaii is a large market for balikbayan boxes. About 15% of the population are Fil-Ams or Americans of Filipino ancestry. Prices are competitive. We pay $55 a box for shipment to Metro Manila and $65 a box for Samar. I believe Cebu is also $65 a box. That includes pick-up service from your home and delivery to the addressee in the Philippines.

Shipping time depends on how fast they can fill a container. During the low season, a container is loaded on a ship about every three weeks. Prior to Christmas, they ship 2 or 3 forty-foot containers a week.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

One minor concern I have is the speed. I'm not sure where it goes from Dallas. Southern California makes sense to me because if it goes to Houston they have to use the Panama Canal.... but getting a full crate to the PI's should be pretty easy. Once it gets over there it has to get to Iloilo, then Antique. I am not sure how fast the Manila to Antique leg of the journey will be....

• Like 1