Subic, Cebu City And Davao

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We finished out city tour last Saturday. I haven't had much time to post due to poor internet at our last hotel in Davao and poor internet after returning home here in Laguna. I'm not sure what happened to our internet here but it has been up and down!

We really like Subic and have decided to make the move there. We will go back in a few weeks for further house hunting.

Cebu City was nice but it is a bit too much city for me. Unfortunately we were not able to see any outlying areas and we don't have a big time window to make decisions on where to live.

I like Davao a lot but the main downside for me is that I would be limited in the ability to travel regionally. If you get very far from the city you will be in riskier areas, and I want the ability to travel around where I live as much as possible.

Subic has a lot of positives for us. Safe for living and driving. You can ride a bicycle safely, which is good for me. Lots of expats for socializing, if you like. Closer to family both north and south. Close to Clark for discount flights. I even met a future tennis partner already. The downside is that if you live in the Freeport the rental costs are higher. We will spend some time looking around.

• Like 2

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i am sure you will like it i was there in 1963, but never went back, i bet it has really changed, lot of pretty wild places than, as you say it is the free zone and i expect it to be higher prices, but if your budget is ok go for it

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

i am sure you will like it i was there in 1963, but never went back, i bet it has really changed, lot of pretty wild places than, as you say it is the free zone and i expect it to be higher prices, but if your budget is ok go for it

Yes, I am sure it has changed a lot. I read that Olongapo has really been cleaned up since those days. The only bargirl bars are now in Barrio Baretto.

We met a few people there and this one nice older Filipina was telling us stories about the old days. She said when a ship came in, the girls would be waiting at the gates for their boyfriends, and the way she described it, it was "hundreds" of girls! That would be a sight to see!

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted
Subic has a lot of positives for us. Safe for living and driving. You can ride a bicycle safely, which is good for me. Lots of expats for socializing, if you like. Closer to family both north and south. Close to Clark for discount flights. I even met a future tennis partner already. The downside is that if you live in the Freeport the rental costs are higher. We will spend some time looking around.

Another thing going for this area is the expressway/toll road. It sure makes getting to and fro' Manila and surrounds much more enjoyable albeit it does cost some pisos...

Thanks for the continued great reports!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Don't forget to keep us up to date on getting settled into Subic!

:541: :dance: :tiphat:

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

We finished out city tour last Saturday. I haven't had much time to post due to poor internet at our last hotel in Davao and poor internet after returning home here in Laguna. I'm not sure what happened to our internet here but it has been up and down!

We really like Subic and have decided to make the move there. We will go back in a few weeks for further house hunting.

Cebu City was nice but it is a bit too much city for me. Unfortunately we were not able to see any outlying areas and we don't have a big time window to make decisions on where to live.

I like Davao a lot but the main downside for me is that I would be limited in the ability to travel regionally. If you get very far from the city you will be in riskier areas, and I want the ability to travel around where I live as much as possible.

Rent is higher in the Freeport but electricity is much LOWER. Where in the Subic area are you looking? I am in the Barretto area. I know the guy that runs the tennis club on the base.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Rent is higher in the Freeport but electricity is much LOWER. Where in the Subic area are you looking? I am in the Barretto area. I know the guy that runs the tennis club on the base.

Steve, it would be nice to live in one of the Freeport neighborhoods but I don't want to blow up my budget too high. Are there some nicer houses / areas n the Barretto area? We only saw the main streets as we passed through on our way to Baloy Beach. We met Cliff and Lisa at The Lagoon and chatted with them. I met the tennis player there but his name is escaping me right now.

Is the Freeport electricity subsidized? Or they have their own plant?

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I have a friend who lives in a house on the base up in the hills. It is very nice and he pays about 35000 pesos a month. Truly a nice area. Very quiet, cool at night. Light years away from the hustle and bustle of normal Philippino living. No jeepneys, no trykes. You MUST have a car if you live there. It's fun riding the bike on base but a car is a must to get groceries bask to the house. There are plenty of houses for rent. I am pretty sure they have their own power plant. I can see myself ending up living there one day but for now we are right in the thick of "living like a local".

There are houses and apartments for rent all over. We found a nice 2 bedroom 2.5 bathroom apartment and it's close to everthing so the wife is very very happy. You DO NOT, repeat DO NOT want to rent any house in the Santa Monica division near Baloy road. It floods every year. Awesome location, great houses, just 10 feet to low.

I guess like every where else in the world....How much do you want to spend will dictate what you find.

My wife's friend is one of the owners of Harleys Pub and pretty much knows all there is to know about this area. Her BIL is the tennis guy. Feel free to PM me and I will be glad to help out with anything I can. What is your time-frame for returning here?

• Like 3

Markham
Posted
Posted

It is certainly true that there is occasional NPA activity, mainly to the northwest of Davao City but unlike Abu Sayaf, they're really not interested in harassing foreigners and their families; their beef is with corrupt public officials in the main. The roads north towards Valencia (and on to Malaybalay and Cagayan) and south towards General Santos are considered safe. Provided you don't venture to Cotobato or the Zamboanga peninsular, you wouldn't have encountered any real danger.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

It is certainly true that there is occasional NPA activity, mainly to the northwest of Davao City but unlike Abu Sayaf, they're really not interested in harassing foreigners and their families; their beef is with corrupt public officials in the main. The roads north towards Valencia (and on to Malaybalay and Cagayan) and south towards General Santos are considered safe. Provided you don't venture to Cotobato or the Zamboanga peninsular, you wouldn't have encountered any real danger.

I think it is a beautiful jungle area around there and I would love to see more. Unfortunately you did not order sunshine for us during our visit last week, so the drizzle and clouds deterred us from going out to some places we might have otherwise. I am looking forward to a SCUBA trip to Samal. There is a direct flight Clark to Davao so hopefully I can find a good price!

• Like 1