Where Do You Live And What Do You Live In

stevewool
Posted
Posted

well has the title says where do you live and in what, have you got the nice big house large garden, lawns and pool and envy of many, or do you live in a condo, are you renting , or paying a mortgage, do you own outright ok i shall ask that again does your wife own outright, do you live in a nippa hut, what about a gated community, the list can go on and on, a nippa hut on a large lot looks great and i am sure could be just as nice as any other house, are the breeze block houses better,lots of different houses out there but who lives where and in what, yes safety has to come into this too

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

That's easy - I live in an apartment in Canada.... hehe!

Once I get to the Philippines, I will be renting an apartment in Cebu close to the Cebu Normal University for at least a year while my Special Someone finishes her degree. I doubt there are many houses for rent in that area so it will probably be in an apartment building with standard security for that area. After that first year, I will be renting again but where I don't know yet - it depends on if she decides to go on further in her education (which I am gently leaning her towards - I like the idea of being married to a Doctor) or where she ends up working.

• Like 1

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

A house in a safe, gated community in Rizal, a nice quiet area but far away from everything which is both good & bad!!

I'm just waiting on my condo to be turned over later this year so I'll have my second place right in the hustle and bustle of Makati.

I guess i will eventually have the best of both worlds in Luzon, maybe one of the islands next!!!

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Currently living in Honolulu, Hawaii. My wife and I have discussed several options including moving next year to an apartment in La Jolla, California to be closer to our son, daughter-in-law and only grandchild. I may build a small bamboo bungalow in the Philippines at the family farm for our vacations and for our friends to use when we are not there. Total cost is very reasonable for a two-bedroom unit. The structure will be resistant to earthquakes and typhoons. The treated bamboo is also fire resistant.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hijack this one but only for a sec - JJR - Did you post anything about these treated bamboo houses or perhaps you could start a new one on these houses? I'd love to know more about them!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am pro-bamboo as an eco-friendly wood product that reaches maturity in 7 years. During the growth process, bamboo groves absorb more than 100 tons of carbon per hectare. There is also an environmentally friendly process that makes the bamboo more durable and fire resistant. In addition, termites and wood boring insects won't eat treated bamboo.

A Hawaii company designs and manufactures bamboo bungalow homes in Vietnam. The kits are shipped by containers and assembled on site within 3 to 5 days if the crew is experienced. The bungalows can withstand earthquakes and hurricanes since bamboo bends and flexes to a greater degree than wood. The problem is their pricing. The Hawaii company's website is www.bambooliving.com. Fortunately, I found another supplier for manufacturing in the Philippines and a bamboo architect/builder in Hawaii who at one time was part of the Bamboo Living group.

I will send you a PM after my lunch meeting with more information and the website with photos. Although this forum's moderator and owner was the webmaster for the website, I don't have his permission to post the address.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am pro-bamboo as an eco-friendly wood product that reaches maturity in 7 years. During the growth process, bamboo groves absorb more than 100 tons of carbon per hectare. There is also an environmentally friendly process that makes the bamboo more durable and fire resistant. In addition, termites and wood boring insects won't eat treated bamboo.

A Hawaii company designs and manufactures bamboo bungalow homes in Vietnam. The kits are shipped by containers and assembled on site within 3 to 5 days if the crew is experienced. The bungalows can withstand earthquakes and hurricanes since bamboo bends and flexes to a greater degree than wood. The problem is their pricing. The Hawaii company's website is www.bambooliving.com. Fortunately, I found another supplier for manufacturing in the Philippines and a bamboo architect/builder in Hawaii who at one time was part of the Bamboo Living group.

I will send you a PM after my lunch meeting with more information and the website with photos. Although this forum's moderator and owner was the webmaster for the website, I don't have his permission to post the address.

i too would be very intrested in more information regarding this if that is ok
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

i too would be very intrested in more information regarding this if that is ok

I will send you a PM within the hour.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Currently in Pasay, Manila with a 1 bedroom unit housing 2 persons, 30 square meters, 15th floor of a 30 floor bldg, view of the bay, security, swimming pool, fitness center. Real expense P20,000 / month all included.

Formerly, AND returning 'soon', in Guadalupe, Cebu City, 2 floor house with 8 persons (plans for 4 floors) with no yard, no security, no pool, no fitness center, 24/7 karaoke if I want. :dance: Place is paid for and utilities plus internet are around P4000 / month. First 2 floors cost under P300,000 and is around 85 square meter / floor.

Comparing the 2 cities, I have to say that it seems to me that the pollution is worse in Cebu City. Probably because the city is backed up against some hills and the wind does not seem to clear the air as well as in Manila. The polution is a problem to me in both places though. I'd rather be in the country and have plans for a coastal place in the future. :540:

• Like 2