Where Do You Live And What Do You Live In

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Renting a concrete house in gated community. Probably not considered "nicer" by western standards, but good enough for me. If I wanted western I would have stayed put. Aircon, hot water in shower (if needed), quiet enough. Great helpers.. excellent cooking! Cold San Magoo. As I sit here typing this, a rain shower is falling on the metal roof and the aroma of garlic and ginger sauting is coming from the kitchen. Ahhhhh! I think I will stay here a while! :)

Here are a few photos of the view here at the house:

image_zps1d69154c.jpg

Outside the front door.

image_zpsc0b3717f.jpg

Outside the back door.

image_zps928bd74c.jpg

That chicken's goose is cooked this Sunday!!!

you have just sold me next door, will i get the same smell wafting over towards me :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Funny you know, i guess i'm like most Aussies my age. Grew up with the "great australian dream", that is to own a typical 1000sqm block and a brick house. Well, in my life i've built/bought and owned a few nice big houses (lost one too hahaha) and lived on acreage,had nice views etc etc but now i'm gettin' on a bit, a house just doesn't mean much to me anymore.As long as i got a roof over my head and a place to sleep i'm fine with that.

We've bought a 46sqm townhouse about 5k's into the mountains from downtown Carcar. It's bloody TINY and yet so far i'm happy as a pig in s#$t.

Ask me again in a year or two maybe i'll have a different answer but for now, we have a place to live that we own and it's a start.

• Like 3

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Excellent news and terrific report. It sounds like you are settling in nicely.

I like the area you are in and it is on mylist of landing spots once I make the move over from here in Southern California. I like the area. My wife has relatives in San Juan and we will be traveling up to visit with them in March sometime. I have stayed at the Bali Hai Resort a couple of times south of San Fernando city proper in the Bauang area. this area appeals to me because you are close to Baguio and the cooler climate yet can be at the beach pretty easily as well. Couple this with pretty good provincial governance and the nice ambance of the area in general and I think IMHO it is a great area for relocation.

Have you eaten at the Shakey's in the mall there yet?

Best of Luck to You and Yours - keep those cards and letters coming!

Cheers~~

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Excellent news and terrific report. It sounds like you are settling in nicely.

Have you eaten at the Shakey's in the mall there yet?

Yes, after one month I am pretty much settled in. Now I have more time for those things I want to do while retired. I bought a bicycle several weeks ago and try to get out for a 30 minute ride every morning. Tomorrow we may go searching out gym's so I can get back to doing some workouts. Then we want to do some traveling.

I have eaten at Shakey's in the CSI mall twice now. Last time I was there we counted 9 foreigners eating at Shakey's.

Seems there is an expat community here. Don't know how many and I haven't talked to anyone yet.

Feel free to PM me when you get in the area. Perhaps we can meet for lunch or dinner.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Nice breakdown on costs Earthdome, gives me something to work with on my impending move. I'll be moving into something very similar soon after my arrival in Cebu and using it as a base of operations until I find something permanent.

• Like 4

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

thanks earthdome for the good info.for me i will rent for 6-12 months then look to buy or build not sure if i can find what will suit me to buy, so building may be my only option i am a guy who needs a bit of room to move around in plus the fact that my 6,3 frame is not as agile as it used to be, thinking that if i spead my arms out in a streach i could touch both walls would drive me crazy. :cheersty:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
returning 'soon', in Guadalupe, Cebu City, 2 floor house with 8 persons (plans for 4 floors) with no yard, no security, no pool, no fitness center, 24/7 karaoke if I want. Place is paid for and utilities plus internet are around P4000 / month. First 2 floors cost under P300,000 and is around 85 square meter / floor.

I don't want to hijack this topic, but this part I think is worth an own topic, so I hope you make one :)

Earlier I have told others of (at least seemed) bargains I have found, but only 300 000 p beats them, so I wonder how come the cost could be that low. Second hand bought from urgent money needing seller? Material?

GregZ
Posted
Posted
returning 'soon', in Guadalupe, Cebu City, 2 floor house with 8 persons (plans for 4 floors) with no yard, no security, no pool, no fitness center, 24/7 karaoke if I want. Place is paid for and utilities plus internet are around P4000 / month. First 2 floors cost under P300,000 and is around 85 square meter / floor.

I don't want to hijack this topic, but this part I think is worth an own topic, so I hope you make one :)

Earlier I have told others of (at least seemed) bargains I have found, but only 300 000 p beats them, so I wonder how come the cost could be that low. Second hand bought from urgent money needing seller? Material?

No REAL story here. Your prices are great! We CHEATED; uncle owns construction company. Got things at cost and some below cost as he is generous. Real total is higher & I don't even know how much. Sorry, I didn't think that one through before I put that price. :1 (103):

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
No REAL story here. Your prices are great! We CHEATED; uncle owns construction company. Got things at cost and some below cost as he is generous. Real total is higher & I don't even know how much. Sorry, I didn't think that one through before I put that price.

ok :)

(I became some suprised what material could be used to reach such price. I mean if the house isn't bought second hand.)

• Like 2