Linksys E1200 Wireless Router - Related Techie Question

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I bought a Linksys (Cisco) E1200 router yesterday and so far it is working very well! It was p2100. The first store I looked it was p2500 so I didn't shop anymore when the next store that carried Linksys had if for 2100.

Here is what is puzzling. We didn't have a wireless router before and we were just sharing a long cable. We have Smart Wimax and I though it really bad usually, especially on my computer. The ethernet port on my computer does not click in solidly so I sometimes have to push it back in. On my girlfriend's laptop, she said it usually worked fine and did not see the issues I had.

In light of the good wireless performance now, do you think my original problem was just the ethernet port going bad? If so can a laptop (HP) ethernet port be easily replaced or is it part of the motherboard. The laptop is no longer under warranty.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Not sure if it could be easily replaced but why bother as you have wireless. Basically everything I use these days is wireless and just ordered a wireless headset yesterday. Now if I could just figure out away to get my dishes washed by wireless I wont have to look at that stack on the sink.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Not sure if it could be easily replaced but why bother as you have wireless. Basically everything I use these days is wireless and just ordered a wireless headset yesterday. Now if I could just figure out away to get my dishes washed by wireless I wont have to look at that stack on the sink.

Yeah, don't really need to be wired. In my old life I used the wire when I had to transfer a lot of data for work, because there was less chance of it being interrupted. It would be nice to have the port working properly for emergencies.

• Like 2

Steve
Posted
Posted

99.9% of the laptops out there, the ethernet is going to be integrated into the planar(system board). Options if it fail are to replace the board, use a usb ethernet or if the slots are available, pcmcia card. Both of which could be wireless or wired depending on what you buy.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks Steve, that was I thought. The motherboards include almost everything these days.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I bought a Linksys (Cisco) E1200 router yesterday and so far it is working very well! It was p2100. The first store I looked it was p2500 so I didn't shop anymore when the next store that carried Linksys had if for 2100.

Here is what is puzzling. We didn't have a wireless router before and we were just sharing a long cable. We have Smart Wimax and I though it really bad usually, especially on my computer. The ethernet port on my computer does not click in solidly so I sometimes have to push it back in. On my girlfriend's laptop, she said it usually worked fine and did not see the issues I had.

In light of the good wireless performance now, do you think my original problem was just the ethernet port going bad? If so can a laptop (HP) ethernet port be easily replaced or is it part of the motherboard. The laptop is no longer under warranty.

Hey OMW,

If I understand you correctly, you were sharing a single ethernet cable that must be moved and reinserted

to the computer in use (from desktop to laptop)? I will assume the same ethernet cable continues to work

on your desktop prior to purchasing a wireless router. Possibly over time - repeated disconnect/reconnect,

you may have damaged the port for your laptop (The ethernet port on my computer does not click in solidly

so I sometimes have to push it back in).

Now that you have a new wireless router that feeds both your computers (assuming you have a wireless

PCI network card already installed in your desktop and your laptop has a built-in network card), trying to

repair-replace anything on a laptop motherboard requires a lot of patience and a few cuss words....he, he.

As always, my crescent hammer is readily available for further troubleshooting.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Hey OMW, If I understand you correctly, you were sharing a single ethernet cable that must be moved and reinserted to the computer in use (from desktop to laptop)? I will assume the same ethernet cable continues to work on your desktop prior to purchasing a wireless router. Possibly over time - repeated disconnect/reconnect, you may have damaged the port for your laptop (The ethernet port on my computer does not click in solidly so I sometimes have to push it back in). Now that you have a new wireless router that feeds both your computers (assuming you have a wireless PCI network card already installed in your desktop and your laptop has a built-in network card), trying to repair-replace anything on a laptop motherboard requires a lot of patience and a few cuss words....he, he. As always, my crescent hammer is readily available for further troubleshooting.

Yes, that is correct. Late last year I noted that the cable (and any cable), even when clicked in, had a lot of in/out play and would disconnect sometimes until I pushed back in tight. Now I assume that even when pushed in tight, it still had a poor connection.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It may be several things. Maybe the contacts are pushed back in a bit, the lock is worn, the jacket on the port may be pushed back a bit. I would start with the lock on the top. It will look like a small indent where the tab from the cable will fit. With power off, use a dental pick or a scribe (a tooth pick if you don't have the others) to see if there is a nice square edge at the front of it is worn down on an angle. If it is worn, you will have to replace the connector. Next look at the tabs on the side of the connector. If you look into the connector there are 2 little metal tabs. With power off, use something small and with a hook (preferably a dental pick or a scribe) and just touch them to see if they move up and down. If they do, they are worn. If not, see if you can hook into them and just give them a gentle pull out. Not too hard now. If they don't fit snugly to the jack when it is inserted, the lock on top will slip. Don't worry if you pull them out a millimetre or so too far - the cable will push them back in. And not all connectors have the tabs that will pull out - some are solid and nothing can be done to these. Check the contacts inside the connector itself as well. These are usually a spring type and, if they are pushed down too far, will allow the connector to slide back out as well. This is where you really want the dental pick or scribe - just gently hook underneath the tab and lift it a touch. That may be all you need to fix you connector. If you do all this and nothing helps, then the connector is toast and needs to be replaced. Some laptops will have the connector just pressed in and wired to the mother board. If this is the way yours is, you can always order another connector that will fit with the same mount (usually have to go to the laptop manufacturer for it), mount it and then reconnect the wires. Sometimes you can get lucky and find replacement connectors that you just insert the wires into the correct hole, close the locking piece that comes with it and then mount it back on the laptop as per the original. Other times you will find that the connector is soldered directly to the motherboard - these I just recommend using a different method of connection - such as a USB or wireless. I despise soldering motherboards!

What I have described without changing the connector takes about 5 minutes or less for someone who has never done it before. For this (what will be billed as refitted / repaired Ethernet Port) I normally charge around $80 in the shop so you will have an idea what it might cost. (If I like you or I can tell you aren't rich, I will usually offer a bargain price of a Tim Hortons large coffee with double cream.) Changing the connector -depending on model - will run anywhere from $100 to $350 in the shop. Government and big business are usually the ones who will pay for this. Heck, I can probably buy a better laptop than the one you have for around $350 or so - New! If you know how to gently take a laptop apart and put it back so that it will work again after, replacing the connector will only cost you a couple dollars and an hour or so of your time. And if you're not comfortable doing this? If you have a USB port on your Linksys (I didn't check the model), then you are looking at the cost of a USB cable. Or just keep on using the wireless.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hey OMW, If I understand you correctly, you were sharing a single ethernet cable that must be moved and reinserted to the computer in use (from desktop to laptop)? I will assume the same ethernet cable continues to work on your desktop prior to purchasing a wireless router. Possibly over time - repeated disconnect/reconnect, you may have damaged the port for your laptop (The ethernet port on my computer does not click in solidly so I sometimes have to push it back in). Now that you have a new wireless router that feeds both your computers (assuming you have a wireless PCI network card already installed in your desktop and your laptop has a built-in network card), trying to repair-replace anything on a laptop motherboard requires a lot of patience and a few cuss words....he, he. As always, my crescent hammer is readily available for further troubleshooting.

Yes, that is correct. Late last year I noted that the cable (and any cable), even when clicked in, had a lot of in/out play and would disconnect sometimes until I pushed back in tight. Now I assume that even when pushed in tight, it still had a poor connection.

Since your laptop is working using your new wireless connection, I believe your ethernet connector on the motherboard

has some soldering issues. As you may know, it's really a bitch disassembling a laptop to make any repairs. Believe me,

I ran out of cuss words in English and had to use some Tagalog bastos words instead.....he, he. Below are two photos

of ethernet connectors: post-686-0-76060600-1357919823_thumb.jpg

However, as Bob suggested you may want to inspect the ethernet plug using a dental pick. You may get lucky

without taking the laptop apart.

Respectfully -- Jake

post-686-0-23029700-1357918691_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sometimes you will find a laptop that is quite easy to change. My old HP has the connector in the back right corner and nothing but the power switch and the good old telephone port beside it. But you are right - most are not and are more of a pain to change than to just bypass some other route. For me I find the hardest part is getting the keyboard mounted back in correctly... Grrrr!

• Like 1