Tattoos, Piercings, Facial Hair And The Filipina

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi All,

This is mainly directed at the ladies on the forum but for those with any of the above or have seen first hand the Filipina reaction to them your input is welcome as well.

Tattoos: I have a few but in shirtsleeves and knee length shorts you can't see any of them, it's my acknowledgement of the lingering western bias against them in professional situations; I guess it's one of the few ways I was a stereo typical sailor lol.

Piercings: Piercings, lots. Ears, brow, other parts. I even had the Prince Albert for a while but became sick of sitting down to pee :P.

Facial Hair: Had a beard most of my adult life, in the Aust navy we were allowed a full beard and mustache or nothing. I chose the facial hair option as it gave me 5 extra minutes sleep when watch-keeping at sea :). I keep it very short and styled now.

So the question is, what is the typical (if there is such a thing) Filipina reaction to all of the above? From my visits to PI in the past I left with the impression that it is even more conservative in those respects than here in the English speaking world. If it meant a lot to someone I met and we'd been in a committed relationship for some time I'd bow to her wishes but they are all part of me.

Edited by BrettGC

stevewool
Posted
Posted

well not being from any of the above, ie a women or having any tatooes, had my ear done once when i was 17, does that count,like anything in this world some looks good on people some just look orrible, each to there own, i must admit seeing the new bread of tatoos on people now, well it just dont look right, works of art on someones body not for me, piercing again not for me, god dont i sound like my dad

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The typical filipina? You are a foreigner so you must be rich so you can do what you want. She will be happy if you marry her, buy a house and lot, and have kids. End of story. Well not quite. Some (maybe not the typical ones?) will say thank you very much but now I have my house and lot and my baby with a foreign passport you can kiss off. You can see that tattoos or piercings do not play a large part in any of this.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

The typical filipina? You are a foreigner so you must be rich so you can do what you want. She will be happy if you marry her, buy a house and lot, and have kids. End of story. Well not quite. Some (maybe not the typical ones?) will say thank you very much but now I have my house and lot and my baby with a foreign passport you can kiss off. You can see that tattoos or piercings do not play a large part in any of this.

as always say it how it could be :thumbsup:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

My ex-partner from Taiwan hated my beard. When we first got together, my head was shaved (as it is now) but I had the goatee. She always said it was like kissing a stiff hair brush. I asked a few other Asian women what they thought and they all agreed. So it all came off except for the bit under my lip. I would assume that Filipino women would probably think the same in general.

My Special Someone asked me if I had any tattoos. I told her I did not and she replied that this made her happy - tattoos were considered "gang" related and could cause some people to think I was a gang member or criminal. I guess people there are still very conservative in relation to a lot of things we do in the "West".

Of course some young Filipina might just find this very attractive so c'est la vie!

:tiphat:

7kmilesaway
Posted
Posted

As for me i don't really like seeing tattoos on someone's part of their body but hey thats their body anyway. I mean small one is just ok though. Well my boyfriend has a tattoo of his football team's logo, and just recently he had decided to put another tattoo on his thigh which is the flag of england and philippines crossing together. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't have any tatoos or piercings, and I haven't asked, but I know (parts of) the Philppines has a "Tatoo culture" traditionaly, so I suppose they don't mind tatoos.

But I know some about long hair on men:

/In the Philippines many think it mean criminal.

/In Thailand the common thought is it's a playboy.

/In Sweden it means sportsman or creative worker.

So long hair can make misunderstandings, perhaps it can scare away some Filipin criminals :hystery:

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I don't have any tatoos or piercings, and I haven't asked, but I know (parts of) the Philppines has a "Tatoo culture" traditionaly, so I suppose they don't mind tatoos.

But I know some about long hair on men:

/In the Philippines many think it mean criminal.

/In Thailand the common thought is it's a playboy.

/In Sweden it means sportsman or creative worker.

So long hair can make misunderstandings, perhaps it can scare away some Filipin criminals :hystery:

Mate, there's no worries about me having long hair :)

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

And thanks for the constructive answers guys :)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The Thai women I've known have been ok with tattoos, many have tattoos. But the Koreans and Filipinos don't seem to like tattoos. I only have 3 (but 1 is a fairly large back piece). But I had a long ponytail when I went to Cebu last year and a few of the girls told me they don't like long hair on men. I doubt it would be a deal breaker on a relationship but they are a fairly conservative culture and tattoos & piercings don't seem to be appreciated.

They told me that tattoos are gangster related still. Piercings on men I think they just don't understand.

• Like 1