Leyte? Anyone? Anyone?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Well guys, I've been exchanging emails with a "friend" and whilst things are developing slowly it does appear to be promising (sound familiar Bob?). Yes I'm being careful guys; I'm too old, jaded and cynical not to be :).

Anyway, to the subject at hand. I've done a lot of reading on Leyte but there's nothing like hearing it from those that have gone before. So have any of you lot spent any time there or indeed living there now? If so, I'll love to hear of your experiences.

Cheers,

Brett

(I'll do a sig one day - Just not today!)

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

WHERE on Leyte? Tacloban and Ormoc are the populated areas. Airport in Tacloban. OK restaurants there. Several private hospitals and 1 big under funded public hospital. Ormoc is a tourist area. Never been there. Check out Google Earth!

I assume you will fly to Manila instead of Cebu? There are 3 flights a day from Manila to Tacloban via Philippine Air or Phil Express however it is in a different terminal (3) which you can not walk to. So plan time to clear customs and then take a ride to your connecting flight. Cebu might be an easier route if possible depending on your flight times. 8am 10am and 4pm from memory are the local time flights to Tacloban.

Cebu Pacific has a history of more flight cancelations that does Philippine Air so you may end up spending the night.

Here is a way to save some money... regardless of 'deals'. I have to fly (US) from Florida to Los Angeles via American Airline. So when I check in at the Miami airport, I have the American Air agent book me with Tacloban as the final destination. This way my bags are then taken and I do not see again until I get to Tacloban (after I clear customs at Manila). If I were to book to Manila and then book to Tacloban, I would have to pay baggage overage fees on 100 pounds of luggage less the allowable allowence due to the fact the final flight is a domestic flight and has less baggage allowence.

This is important if you come in full of chocolate and things. If you stay over night at Manila or Cebu, then when you take the flight to Tacloban, you will be hit with baggage over fees. So depending on where you are in the land of Oz, see if you can book your final destination as Tacloban to beat the high fees.

There is at least 1 group of expats that meet in Tacloban but I am not a member and have no imformation about them. In any case, Tacloban is maybe 20 years behind Cebu but there are many expats there and the place is growing.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info Bruce, I'll let you know where exactly when I do. I know it's pretty remote and she only has computer access at work, there's not even a cafe close.

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info Bruce, I'll let you know where exactly when I do. I know it's pretty remote and she only has computer access at work, there's not even a cafe close.

Work - did you say "work" . Thats a good sign right there.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Yeah, she's a nurse, I skyped her the other night while she was at work.

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted

Yeah, she's a nurse, I skyped her the other night while she was at work.

Thats great ! you are 1 step ahead for sure. If she has enough diligence to finish nursing and is actually working is a great sign. What city is she is in. My wife is from around Ormoc. There are flights from MNL to Ormoc now. Tacloban is where you go to process your visa extenstions etc..

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I have family in Southern Letye and have visited the island off and on sense the late 90's. Sogod Bay in Southern Leyte is wonderful a fair amount of Expats living there now but fairly remote. I like the area very much and if you are a SCUBA diver you will love it.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I have family in Southern Letye and have visited the island off and on sense the late 90's. Sogod Bay in Southern Leyte is wonderful a fair amount of Expats living there now but fairly remote. I like the area very much and if you are a SCUBA diver you will love it.

She's in the town of Leyte, on Leyte bay, in Leyte municipality, in Leyte Province lol.

• Like 3

7kmilesaway
Posted
Posted
She's in the town of Leyte, on Leyte bay, in Leyte municipality, in Leyte Province lol.

You mean she lives in Leyte, Leyte??

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
There are flights from MNL to Ormoc now

Cool. When did that happen and who is flying into Ormoc?