Leyte? Anyone? Anyone?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Nurse? Depends on who she works for as how good a job she has. If a government nurse, may make 8,000p to 10,000p a month and may not get paid for 60+ days sometimes when the budget is finished and they are waiting for more funding. If she was at work and doing SKYPE, she may be on a laptop with an aircard like SmartBro.

If you visit, let her handle the details like taxi and hotels. I would send her $100 and tell her to get small bills. Have her meet you at the airport and make a deal for transportation back to her town before the driver knows it is a White face paying. From Tacloban to Catbalogan is about 80 kilometers. my contact rents a Toyota van (with driver) for 1,800p and a 2 hour ride. This way, no stops, no kids, no chickens (yes, chickens do ride the busses in the Philippines) and plenty of room for me and my over sized bags. I would expect a similar cost to Leyte town.

Oh yes... if you send her $100 and she does not show up (a good thing!) or shows up with some story about her sister needing a brain transplant and she had to spend the money on that... well that is a WARNING about your looming future. $100 well spent to find out something 'now' instead of some time in the future.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice again Bruce. Taken it all on board. Been doing some reading about Leyte in general and it appears to be exactly my speed. I think I'll still base out of Cebu to begin with then make visits. Qantas flies direct from Brisbane (my closest intl airport here) to Manila 3 times a week, only a 7 hour flight from here. Might be worth just popping over for the weekend soonish just for the hell of it ;).

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice again Bruce. Taken it all on board. Been doing some reading about Leyte in general and it appears to be exactly my speed. I think I'll still base out of Cebu to begin with then make visits. Qantas flies direct from Brisbane (my closest intl airport here) to Manila 3 times a week, only a 7 hour flight from here. Might be worth just popping over for the weekend soonish just for the hell of it ;).

It seems like you have things well in hand. I agree with you..... just go up and see for yourself just what's going on and if she is special. Is there a direct flight to Cebu (MNL)? Good luck.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Scoot fly out of Coolangatta for about $730 return but maybe a 12 hour wait in Singapore.

• Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

...I can personally recommend the Hotel Alejandro in Tacloban should you have need to spend the night there.

Best o' Luck~~

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

LOL and there it is:

hi brett,

how are you? i talked to the immigration and checked about my visa. wish i could afford to fly there but i cannot. my visa expires january 25...because it is hard for me to get visa again. the only way to extend my visa is if i could show a ticket to the embassy that i could leave on or before january 25...and i need to show them ticket dated before it expires and they need information like where im gonna stay when i arrive your country like your fullname, address, home phone, cellphone and airport and at least 3 names of the hospitals nearest you where i can probably apply for work.. if i cannot use it i need to wait for another 2 to 3 yrs before i can get any visa again.

wish u can call so we can talk.

mercy

She'd apparently applied for a working visa here a 18 months ago but didn't come. Now I'm on the scene and she urgently needs money to get here :). Pretty elaborate compared to some of the ones I've encountered considering I skyped her in what appeared to be a hospital and she was wearing scrubs. Oh well.. Next!

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

Well at least she was truthfull about tell you she was at "work"..working at scamming money lol

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I offered (with no intention) of paying for a non-refundable ticket here and emailing it to her... no reply of course.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sorry things didn't work out.

If I hadn't met my Special Someone, I think I would have taken the advice I was given a while back - wait until I'm there before I start to look at the ladies.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear this Brett, glad you found out sooner than later but it still sucks. There are many great Filipinas over there we know you will find someone special it just takes time.

• Like 2