Freeman Article On Mandaue Street Kids.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Below is a cut and paste of a new law in Cebu / Mandaue to keep street kids in check.

1. I am not sure the street kids can read or know where to find a copy of the new law to read.

2. Telling a poor begging kid that is is now against the law to give any alms or financial support seems to be some what foolish as the kids don't care about the new law....

3. For a good laugh, see the last sentence of the article below.

Mandaue to keep kids out of streets

Updated January 25, 2013 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The Mandaue City council has approved a proposed ordinance which seeks to control the proliferation of street children in the city.

The newly approved ordinance, authored by Councilor Demetrio Cortes Jr., also seeks to encourage private institutions to implement programs and projects which will cater to the needs of street children.

Under the new ordinance, the giving of alms or any other financial remuneration to children in the streets is strictly prohibited.

However, such prohibition is not limited to “parking assistance fee” usually given by motorists to children in the streets.

And to properly channel the goodwill and support of individual citizens for the uplift of street children, contributions or financial support which are otherwise usually directly given to children in the streets should be channeled to private organizations or charitable institutions that implement programs and projects for street children.

For this purpose, selected private/public business establishments in the city are required to put up a sealed can/box within their establishments where voluntary contributions may be placed or dropped by those who desire to support programs and projects responding to the needs of street children.

The proceeds of these donations/contributions shall be used solely to fund programs directly addressing the needs of street children.

A memorandum of agreement shall be executed between the Mandaue City Social Welfare Development Office, the receiving establishment, and the beneficiary institution or organization.

The CSWD is hereby authorized to formulate the necessary details of the implementing mechanism.

The police is tasked to ensure that no children proliferate the streets of the city and they will immediately call the attention of the personnel of the City Social Welfare office if a police sees children loitering in the city. (FREEMAN

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Right.... let us know how that works out!

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Right.... let us know how that works out!

just another "FEEL GOOD" law that may never be FULLY or just selective enforced

just curious does Councilor Demetrio Cortes Jr or his relatives have their hand in these

private organizations or charitable institutions that implement programs and projects for street children.??? :89:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Let me get this straight. I can give P20 to a beggar child and get arrested or donate the P20 to a city council sponsored organization. The organization is licensed to give my P5 to the beggar child. So what happened to my P15? Is 2013 an election year?

• Like 3

Danimal
Posted
Posted

Why not just make poverty illegal? This reminds me of Canute the Great ordering that the tides not advance and wet his feet!

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Let me get this straight. I can give P20 to a beggar child and get arrested or donate the P20 to a city council sponsored organization. The organization is licensed to give my P5 to the beggar child. So what happened to my P15? Is 2013 an election year?

JJ, you just do not understand Philippine Governmental Math (PGM). You have lived in Hawaii too long.... When you retire and move to Phils, it will all come back to you!

Remember to keep your driver license with a 1,000p note attached in case you get pulled over.... LOL

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I don't know why but reading that news article had me remembering this old movie when I was a kid... The 90 year old Southern Baptist with her ragged and torn Bible yelling at all the children to get off the streets and into Sunday School where they belonged... And then the police cars with lights and sirens slowly driving down the center of the main street... Watching for those wild and wicked children... I wish I could remember if they had their guns drawn...

They say if you wait long enough, fiction does become reality!

:mocking:

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Why not just make poverty illegal? :hystery: !

Have you ever seen or heard any of the"stop poverty" or other "feel good"laws that have been made,

but NO funding or support is ever given to these laws.

the poor have MUCH more rights than the TAX PAYER here,,

eg. if your a squatter you can not be KICKED off that property

by the Legal owner ,

thats just 1 of the "more fun in the philiipines "laws :540:

• Like 1

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

This law is not enforcable on the children. If someone is under 17 here they are hardly accountable for any criminal activity as they are juvinells (spelled wrong) the professional criminals here will hand the accomplis kid the weapon after the crime as they won't go to prison.

The proposed law is just to make the politicians look good, nothing will come of it....sigh...

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I believe its always been against the law to be giving to street kids or at least in other areas of the city. Think its posted on the forum somewhere.   :89:

• Like 2