Overstayers Beware! From Philstar.com

i am bob
Posted
Posted

As for the meat of the story? I totally agree with it. Though I also think that some countries need to be just a little more stringent on who they allow in the country in the first place rather than laboriously hunting down people afterwards.

This is a very interesting comment. During WWII, when most of the men were in military service, the United States opened the border to Mexican laborers to help plant, cultivate and harvest agriculture crops. The laborers had no intention of remaining forever. They wanted the jobs and much higher pays to help support families back home. The majority went home after the end of WWII.

There is still a similar program available to American farmers, food processing plants and other agriculture based industries. You can legally bring in laborers from Mexico to work up to a year. The problem is the US Congress made the rules very stringent and the fees are exorbitant. It takes nearly a year to process the paperwork and the fees are in the thousands. Why bother and become uncompetitive compared to the neighboring farms who just hire illegal workers at less than minimum wage. They also don't bother with the niceties such as Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance (FICA & FUTA) and withholding federal and state income taxes. 

Millions want to legally emigrate to the United States, including several hundred thousand Filipinos. The quota, preference system, etc. make the process very difficult. You could spend ten years going through the application process only to be denied. For some, "informal" migration is the only option.   

Personally, I don't agree that those who are already in the United States illegally should now be given priority in changing their status. They should get behind the line. What they need to do is liberalize and speed up the process for those who had applied earlier.

To be honest, I was actually thinking more of the countries (like Canada) who let in known terrorists, foreign mafia, and their grown family members who then carry out their former trades here or as a base to go out to spread their specialties.  Remember when Somalia first hit the news?  My brother ended up moving because he found out that one of the main warlords was living with his wife 2 doors down - and that one of his other wives lived across the street!  My brother lived in London, Ontario - yeah, Canada!  This guy would disappear for a few days, there would be all these new news reports from Somalia and then he would be back...  What a life!

As for those such as the illegal farm labor?  I doubt if the crops would be in if it wasn't for them.  They come here as well for the fruit harvest because not many people will work for as little as they will.  For this I don't mind so much when Immigration turns a blind eye.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

There's an element to your post I'm missing in what you are saying JJ... Is this another way of saying what you are trying to get across? "If you count the number of people who get parking tickets every day, there are more of them than those who do hard crimes too. But who is more important to get off the streets? I would say the ones committing the hard crimes."

The main political argument regarding illegals is that they take away jobs from US citizens and legal permanent residents. Nothing could be farther from the truth. They are doing the work that most Americans won't touch because it is hard, low-paying and no potential for advancement. By claiming that their status as illegals is "criminal" subject to jail or deportation is one way to suppress their potential demand for higher wages. What would be the price of lettuce in the United States if illegal farm laborers are paid $7.25 a hour minimum wage; 50% more for overtime work; employers pay federal and state withholding and unemployment taxes; be provided healthcare, etc.? I don't want to pay $10 for a pound of lettuce. Truth be told, we need more illegal workers to keep the prices of vegetables reasonable. All the discussion is political farce.

My overseas retirement care project addresses a similar problem. The United States needs highly skilled Philippine caregivers to help care for the elderly. Immigration policy won't permit it. If the caregivers cannot come to the United States, I can send the elderly to the Philippines for quality care at a reasonable price. As the go-between, perhaps I can make a little bit of money for my own retirement and future caregiver needs.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The main political argument regarding illegals is that they take away jobs from US citizens and legal permanent residents.

I thought the main argument is that many use social and medical services that they are not paying to support, thereby bankrupting them.

• Like 3

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

i totally agree with you MikeB..and as far as the lettuce analogy goes..at home in Alaska the lettuce pickers (farm workers) are paid 10$/hr , there are other crops also such as carrots , zuchinni , cabbage , radishes in  rotational basis usually..laborers arent hard to find and i dont think i've seen an illegal worker there.. mostly high school/college kids working 40hr/wk...prices for the LOCAL produce is the same or less than the stuff imported to the state..and it sure isnt 10$/lb lol

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

JJReyes, on 27 Jan 2013 - 16:25, said:The main political argument regarding illegals is that they take away jobs from US citizens and legal permanent residents.I thought the main argument is that many use social and medical services that they are not paying to support, thereby bankrupting them.

I have heard a similar argument from politicians. In addition to social and medical services, illegal immigrants are bankrupting our education system. My question is, "Farm laborers follow the north to south planting and harvesting season. They move from camp to camp every three to four weeks. When do the children have time for school?" Child labor is absolutely forbidden in the United States dating back to abuses during the industrial revolution. The exception are farm workers. You can hire someone who is 14 years old to pick crops in the fields. You can't hire children who are younger, except the families are paid based on the amount harvested. Using blueberries as an example, the contract might be 10 cents a pint. If the children decide to help their father, mother and older siblings, the farm owner looks the other way.

There is a US Supreme Court case that prevents schools from asking the legal status of the child. If you need social services, the agency can request for a Social Security card. Hospital emergency rooms cannot ask about the legal status for emergency services. For medical clinics, the first question is the name of your insurance company. I don't believe the social and medical services argument is valid.  

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Either way you feel about illegal laborers in the US, we are getting off track.

Can we get back to those who overstay in the Philippines?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the title or section needs to be changed but this thread was never about overstaying in the Philippines, thus the posters ARE on topic.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

thus the posters ARE on topic.

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone here, ever been charged and penalised for overstaying. I mean serious overstaying, not forgetting to extend.

I ask only, to see some sort of logistics on the man in the street, not hard criminals.

Sorry if this is a little direct. :unsure:

:tiphat:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the title or section needs to be changed but this thread was never about overstaying in the Philippines, thus the posters ARE on topic.

Correct. Moved to "World Events Forum" to minimize confusion.

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

thus the posters ARE on topic.

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone here, ever been charged and penalised for overstaying. I mean serious overstaying, not forgetting to extend.

I ask only, to see some sort of logistics on the man in the street, not hard criminals.

Sorry if this is a little direct. :unsure:

If someone has been charged and penalized for serious overstaying I doubt they will be on this forum because they will be deported and blacklisted.  There is one member of this forum who was deported and blacklisted for overstaying and other offenses but he no longer posts on this forum because he now lives in Cambodia.

Edited by Americano