Nipa Or Bricks

robert k
Posted
Posted

Having now lived in a nipa hut with a tin roof and concrete floor for a month, I can say that I did not consider it that bad although many improvements could be made. We slept under nets and had an 18w light outside to attract the bugs away from the house. I didn't get any bug bites until I moved on and was living in hotels. The house I lived in with my intendeds family was probably the average nipa home. Bugs were a problem if you showed any lights after dark, beside the one outside to lure them away. I suppose one could build a comfortable inner sanctum/bedroom which would be blacked out from the outside so one could enjoy, television, computer monitors and bright light in fan/air conditioned comfort. As to security, people are the problem and I think it likely people are the solution, have someone home at all times. I was in a rural area and I believe that the only time nobody was home in the month I stayed there was the day we all went to the cemetary to clean up the ancestors graves. There were alot of empty houses that day so I think the risk was small. On a side note I was introduced to the departed and all I could think to say doffing my hat was "pleased to meet you" which led to laughter. :)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We are budgeting between P500,000 to P800,000 per unit for our project. They will be built to last 50 years or longer. The architect wants to use concrete for the roof to withstand 150 to 175 mph winds from a super typhoon. For aesthetic reasons and because the eco-village is a "green" project, we prefer another material.

JJ, any updates on this? We are very interested.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
surely it would be pinched no matter what house you have whether its brick or nipa, if this is there main home what is the differance

Difference is the huge knife that everyone carries does not go through brick.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

surely it would be pinched no matter what house you have whether its brick or nipa, if this is there main home what is the differance

Difference is the huge knife that everyone carries does not go through brick.

And more holes for insects to get in through nipa than brick walls  :)

Curley
Posted
Posted

Earth bag, bullets will go through nipa and breeze block but not earthbags unless you have an almighty weapon.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

You planning on going all hatfield and McCoy on your neighbors curley? lol

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!" 

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Hmmmm hatfield and McCoy,    better check with Mr Google.....

Nope, nothing like that, just thinking of the free use of firearms among drunken locals.

• Like 1