Freehold > Titled Land

Thomas
Posted
Posted

(I know land owning restrictions rather good, so we can jump that part. This question is mainly to not get any bad suprises if do some business with partners, where they expect I have checked things proper. I suppose Titled is more safe than Freehold  :)   to avoid the risk several people will claim later they have the right to the land.

Or do I mix up the expressions?

I mean the land, which are "owned by tradition" been in family many many years, but never been titled,

I DON'T mean the land, which "anyone" can get USING right too, but it belong to the government.

Roughly 

what's the cost?

time needed?

to get land changed from Freehold to Titled.   

This part I mean for FILIPIN owner, BEFORE selling.

When I asked about titling, I can take the opportunity to ask this too  :)

When the property is titled allready, what's roughly costs and time needed to get it changed when it's allready titled?

(Purpouse can be e g;

/split a titled land into pieces.

(/split ownership of land and buildings on it (if such can be needed),

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

try CHANROBLES legal (online)site that mayhave your answers or at least can provide some info.

if your near a legal bookstore,try finding some "legal books" on your issue.

if their is a NATIONAL BOOK STORE nearby .perhaps they can order for you.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

try CHANROBLES legal (online)site that mayhave your answers or at least can provide some info.

if your near a legal bookstore,try finding some "legal books" on your issue.

if their is a NATIONAL BOOK STORE nearby .perhaps they can order for you.

Thank you. But I have read through many laws there and elsewhere about other subjects = boooooring. So I hope someone know  :)

Bruce
Posted
Posted

HUGE potential issues. Go back say 3 generations or more, all dead... sure, but their kids and their kids and THEIR kids all have a claim here. Even those in Manila and Cebu and in the US too! Getting all to sign off is not really possible.

Time and money money and more money. Unless it is a small family and you get a signed release that ALL other cousins have already been paid by the current

family so if a claim arises later, you can use that to force them to being a case against the people certifying that the cousines have been paid OR.... their parents were paid years ago and as such, their kids have no claim today.

Also a chance a money lender is owed money there too. Much better to  buy titled land.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

For a fee ( And it is not that expensive.) a Trip to the Registrar of Deeds will uncover any claims, they can tell you if the land is clean or not. It is not a lengthy process BUT  ​it will save, anyone a lot of Heartache and anxiety, also a trip to the local BIR will reveal, if any taxes are due on the property City Hall, can tell you about Local charges not being met. IMHO, get some  Homework done first, it really will pay Dividends.

Goes without saying here,  never, put money down on land you are unsure of ( not even a Holding Deposit nor a Finders fee. Seems a regular scam here, that needs the loophole closing. :unsure:

Until you make that trip to the ROD you will never know, if it is Titled or not. there are many forged title deeds floating around, insist on Seeing the Original

Best of Luck :thumbsup:

:tiphat:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I asked my lawyer about that and he said it was too complicated, too many claimants, and too much chance for things to go wrong.  He went on to say that if the deals were any good he would have bought them himself.

Now that is out of the way, there are individuals who do title registrations.  They are not cheap and it takes a lot of bureaucracy and time.  I suggest you bring such an individual with you and ask him/her to estimate what would be involved in getting title.  If it CAN be done for a reasonable price then you are reasonably safe to buy the land and there is no real need to obtain a title at that time.  If it is grossly expensive or cannot be done then stay away from it.

An example of where it cannot be done is where someone illegally subdivides their land and sells off pieces with the promise it will be subdivided and titles given out once it is all sold.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I asked my lawyer about that and he said it was too complicated, too many claimants, and too much chance for things to go wrong.  He went on to say that if the deals were any good he would have bought them himself.

HUGE potential issues. Go back say 3 generations or more, all dead... sure, but their kids and their kids and THEIR kids all have a claim here. Even those in Manila and Cebu and in the US too! Getting all to sign off is not really possible.

Time and money money and more money. Unless it is a small family and you get a signed release that ALL other cousins have already been paid by the current

family so if a claim arises later, you can use that to force them to being a case against the people certifying that the cousines have been paid OR.... their parents were paid years ago and as such, their kids have no claim today.

That's why I asked  :)   because my idea was letting SELLER make it titled BEFORE I buy it, so I wondered what's fair compensation for extra COSTS for them, and how long the processing just the titling registration take.  (If they need to have fight in court, then I will buy some other land  :)

For a fee ( And it is not that expensive.) a Trip to the Registrar of Deeds will uncover any claims, they can tell you if the land is clean or not. It is not a lengthy process BUT  ​it will save, anyone a lot of Heartache and anxiety, also a trip to the local BIR will reveal, if any taxes are due on the property City Hall, can tell you about Local charges not being met. IMHO, get some  Homework done first, it really will pay Dividends.

Goes without saying here,  never, put money down on land you are unsure of ( not even a Holding Deposit nor a Finders fee. Seems a regular scam here, that needs the loophole closing. :unsure:

Until you make that trip to the ROD you will never know, if it is Titled or not. there are many forged title deeds floating around, insist on Seeing the Original

Yes, the unpaid tax and loans with the land as security things I knew of (except I didn't know if it's possible to check without owner tell it's OK, so I had planed to "force" seller to follow me around checking - and paying (or reduce the price with unpaid depts sums) before I pay anything - except the taxi/tricycle   :)

Thank you. Then I better stay out of it for geting land to build my home at - because I don't want to end up having my house built on a land where it isn't even sure who to make deals with  :)

Now that is out of the way, there are individuals who do title registrations.  They are not cheap and it takes a lot of bureaucracy and time.  I suggest you bring such an individual with you and ask him/her to estimate what would be involved in getting title.  If it CAN be done for a reasonable price then you are reasonably safe to buy the land and there is no real need to obtain a title at that time.  If it is grossly expensive or cannot be done then stay away from it.

An example of where it cannot be done is where someone illegally subdivides their land and sells off pieces with the promise it will be subdivided and titles given out once it is all sold.

Thank you. Then I better stay out of it for building house at, not fun if not even sure who to make deal with  :)

But for land less in a hurry (=for future business) it's still interesting perhaps. 

But in any case I will want to have titling DONE before I do any (biger) investments.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

But in any case I will want to have titling DONE before I do any (biger) investments.

Like anything else in Philippines, the paper work (read that title) is just an illusion.  I can show you a piece of land just 1 km from me that has 2 legal and valid titles issued on it.  The first guy got title.  The second guy disputed it and was given a title to the same land but the first guy could sell that to you and you would never know the difference unless you knew all the local gossip.

However it IS true that there is some safety in having a title you can wave around in court if it ever goes there.  That is so long as it is not a forged title and there are lots of those around.  There is no central registry of title deeds here.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Like anything else in Philippines, the paper work (read that title) is just an illusion.  I can show you a piece of land just 1 km from me that has 2 legal and valid titles issued on it.  The first guy got title.  The second guy disputed it and was given a title to the same land but the first guy could sell that to you and you would never know the difference unless you knew all the local gossip.

However it IS true that there is some safety in having a title you can wave around in court if it ever goes there.  That is so long as it is not a forged title and there are lots of those around.  There is no central registry of title deeds here.

Thanks Dave!  I was going to mention that this is possible also.

When you get right down to it, a piece of land with title still is not a safe bet all the time.  Sometimes it might be better to look at going for a long term land lease with first option to purchase to your spouse or dependents and have it registered.  Other times you might be just better off renting a house or apartment.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

But I suppose only ONE can be owner in the Title Register  :)   (I mean fully. Of course can be a SPLIT ownership.)  So I plan to check in that Register, not just looking at a document an owner/"owner" show me.  Need to check if it has tax depts and/or is security for loan anyway.