Living The Dream

stevewool
Posted
Posted

there are all plans that may happen or may not, like i have mentioned it will be down to myself and Emma to say yes lets go for it or stay a little longer or move somewhere different,

I have 6 years to plan all this and in that time i will know what will be right,we shall have funds left in england like many have said, just in case,.

One of the reasons i am looking at land is the price and that it may go up by to much when we decide to move there, plus its a investment, and i do take it all in the advice what you all are saying

So dont get disheartened if you think i am not listening to you, i am , and thanks again to you all

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I wish everyone the best who are planning to move to the Philippines.

I can say I'm living my dream because I met and married my perfect match in the Philippines, we purchased a lot and are saving money to build our home in a couple of years.  I retired at age 60 with a pension and moved to the Philippines. We were living very well on my retirement. At age 62 I started receiving a Social Security retirement too so now I'm able to save a lot of money each month. We eat very good and we can travel and do whatever we want.  Life is very good.

well done, and one day i hope to follow in your footsteps

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

My dream is to retire early, move to the philippines, bohol is the place for now but who knows, a view is a must for me, a large lot too, nice home and to live happy and healthy too. But what is the cost of all this, i have no idea, but i know i will have around £150,000 plus a income of around £650 a month, or £250,000 and a income of around £150 a month.

At Bohol you can get a nice house for 2 - 3 mill pesos. (E g 4 rooms of which 2 are small, ment for maid and a small office, "kano toilet". I don't remember land size, but it has many mahogony trees rather close to harvest time. Asked price 2,6 mill. No sea view.)

If you want sea view, there are lands with sea view from hills a bit inland for sale for 20-25p/sqm.

Your told steady mountly income is some low even for me, but if you get short of income, you can think of adding some by e g "harvest sharing". I don't know if this seller have done such, but his european friend have without problem.  

Or perhaps you will want to invest some in my "retirement" project   :dance:  which is one of the businesses alternatives I think of starting..      

(=An agricultural project, which take around 5 years before geting first harvest. There is a similar project already in Phili, but they sell for around 30% higher price per share than I believe I can for similar part.)

• 4 weeks later...
RWTom
Posted
Posted

Bohol you can get a nice house for 2 - 3 mill pesos. (E g 4 rooms of which 2 are small, ment for maid and a small office, "kano toilet". I don't remember land size, but it has many mahogony trees rather close to harvest time. Asked price 2,6 mill. No sea view.)

If you want sea view, there are lands with sea view from hills a bit inland for sale for 20-25p/sqm.

Is this accurate - that land with a sea view on Bohol is 20-25p/sqm?  I have been doing some preliminary searches online and most of the ads I see are 750p + for land.  Maybe the prices on the ads are inflated asking prices.

thanks for the info.

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most of the prices on-line and in Newspapers for land, houses, cars, etc. are greatly inflated.  The advertiser is hoping a sucker will fall for his outragious price and he will get rich.

Its best to have a Filipino who you trust to find the land in person.  The person needs to be smart and know how to negotiate a lower price because most Filipinos ask for more than they are willing to take. For example, the owner of the lot my wife and I wanted to buy was asking P350 per sq meter.  A few nights later I told my wife to call the owner and offer P250.  The owner agreed so we purchased the lot.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bohol you can get a nice house for 2 - 3 mill pesos. (E g 4 rooms of which 2 are small, ment for maid and a small office, "kano toilet". I don't remember land size, but it has many mahogony trees rather close to harvest time. Asked price 2,6 mill. No sea view.)

Is this accurate - that land with a sea view on Bohol is 20-25p/sqm?  I have been doing some preliminary searches online and most of the ads I see are 750p + for land.  Maybe the prices on the ads are inflated asking prices.

thanks for the info.

Them with seaSHORE* land cost more (The lowest I have found was around 170p/m2 I believe)

but I have found some with 20-25/m2 asked prices with seaVIEW from some inland having seaview from a hill/mountain. In some you just see a small line of ocean close to the horizon, but some is rather close, giving a rather good seaview. (E g I found two at Bohol. and I believe one in south part of Cebu island. At Negros one cost some more, but was close to the seashore, but it looked like it's one other private owner in between*)

*No one, Filipins either, can buy the seashore line land, but when buying the closest, then that part can be long time leased from Phili government That solution have something to do with keep squatters stay away from the shoreline.

But it isn't allowed to develop within 30 meters from the hightide line anyway. (Don't know if there are any legal exceptions for private people or businesses.) 

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

RWTom
Posted
Posted

Good info...thanks for replies.  

Most of the prices on-line and in Newspapers for land, houses, cars, etc. are greatly inflated.  The advertiser is hoping a sucker will fall for his outragious price and he will get rich.

Its best to have a Filipino who you trust to find the land in person.  The person needs to be smart and know how to negotiate a lower price because most Filipinos ask for more than they are willing to take. For example, the owner of the lot my wife and I wanted to buy was asking P350 per sq meter.  A few nights later I told my wife to call the owner and offer P250.  The owner agreed so we purchased the lot.

Thanks for the info.  I suspected that was the case.  A couple of questions if you don't mind: What size lot did you purchase?  Do you have a sea view?  Have you ever heard of any land with a sea view for sale as low as 25p per sq meter; as Thomas has?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info.  I suspected that was the case.  A couple of questions if you don't mind: What size lot did you purchase?  Do you have a sea view?  Have you ever heard of any land with a sea view for sale as low as 25p per sq meter; as Thomas has?

I guess it's different things

/small lots 1000 m2 or so or even smaller

/while I talk about "raw land" or sometimes even some developed land (in farming point of view). These often have only dirt road access, but sometimes they connect to a barangay concreete road. There are even land with sea view offered for only 10p/m2, but some such "raw land" are huge, much to big for just building a house there.  Most examples, which I have told anywhere, are land in size and cost suiting to build ONE private house there, without being to expensive.  =Rather similar total price as the small lots sold to only be a house at, while them I'm talking about are countryside land, where there are space for BOTH house and still enough left for a farm/orchard if wanting that too.  

One of them I told about is rather close to a resort, but on the "hillside" of the highway, but still with some seaview from hilltops. There are several regions in the Philippines where the land reach higher level fast, so get sea view from many places some inland too.

The advantage with them with higher price are that they are usualy more prepared to build house there e g better roads. 

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

The lot I purchased is 1,000 sq meters, which my wife and I decided is big enough enough for us.  We looked at several lots before we found one where the people could prove they were the owners and there were concrete surveyor markers.  Most people we talked to were only pretending to be the owner or they couldn't prove they were the owners by the proper documents. And, there were no surveyor markers.  They would say the lot ends at that coconut tree or those bushes.  Concrete markers last for many years, so if there's no markers I would be very suspicious.  Most people didn't have a current Tax Declaration and receipts as proof that they have been paying the yearly taxes.

We don't have a sea view but we are on a hill top 225 meters above sea level which means there's usually a good breeze and the air is very clean compared to being close to sea level and especially near a city or highway where there's lots of air pollution from smoke and dust.  The air and sound pollution is horrible were we live now so we can't wait to build our home on our lot and move there.  Its a good neighborhood and we already have some good friends there.

I don't believe you will find any land on Cebu for P25 per meter and even if you did it would be far away from the sea.  And, there may not be any electricity, water, or Internet.  Those are three major things you have to consider when looking for a lot to build a home on. Some places you can get by without city water by drilling a well but if there's no Internet in the area there's not much you can do about it.  Within the next three years the government plans to start transmitting Internet over some unused TV channels which means most areas could receive Internet regardless of where they live.  Its already being tested in a few areas in Manila, Cebu City and in Mindanao, so maybe Internet coverage will greatly improve some day.

My wife is from Mindanao and her family still lives there.  Its possible to buy land there with a sea view for P25 per meter but most foreigners chose not to live there due to not being as safe as other Islands.  Some people say there city of Surigao or Davao is safe and then you hear about a Canadian or an American being murdered in their home or hotel room. Doesn't sound that safe to me.  I have been living on Cebu for over three years and I don't remember hearing of any foreigner being murdered here, which tells me Cebu is a lot safer than Mindanao where a few foreigners are murdered each year.

Another thing about buying land for P25 per meter, you probably can't find a 1,000 sq meter lot for that price.  Usually they are tying selling one or more hectares, which is 10,000 sq meters.

• Like 2