Cityview, San Chianko Street

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

It's been suggested that when I next come to the Phils, I should stay here and use it for a base.

I'm told it's clean and cheap. (Less than 600p a night)

Anyone know it ? Recommend it ? Rubbish it ?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

What city? What is your length of stay and what are you trying to accomplish whilst there? All have a bearing on where to stay.

• Like 1

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Ok, Ok, already ! Sheesh.

It's in Cebu City. I'll be in the Phils or 3 or 4 weeks. The idea is that I travel around a bit, seeing the sights,

talking to people, asking questions, and using Cityview as a base.

I'm looking for a place to spend a few months of the year initially.

I'm hoping this visit will help me focus on an area which I'll visit for a longer period next time.

I'm not in a rush and plan to enjoy my time there.

Finding a nice woman also wouldn't go amiss, but I'm not in a rush there either.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It's Sanciangko St, Colon. I never heard of it but for <600 a night you won't get much amenities or (more importantly) security in Cebu City. There are apartelles and pension houses that discount for a month's stay but I wouldn't recommend anything at that nightly rate, especially for an extended stay.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Colon is a wonderful place in the D A Y  T I M E . Great shoppng and small bars with many drunk white faces who drink their remaining time left away.

Remember that cheaper (yes, you are thrifty, not cheap, we understand) room rates DRAWS the lower level of society to it. Petty crime and related ills are very open in Colon.  

Great to go to for shopping deals and being in masses of people. I go every time I am in Cebu. But stay there? Nooo. Not me. If you go, do not walk alone especially at night, no side streets.

Use a money belt. I also think your room is not secure when you leave to go out.

Cebu is a great place and has many nice and popular places for tourists to stay. Do not think it is all like my description of Colon. Colon IS or shall I say WAS 'Cebu' 20 + years ago. Now with the building boom the city has expanded in great amounts. Like Manila which is actually a 'city' for the locals but to us foreigners, it is a name that includes at least 7 acutal named cities. Cebu too, is growing and includes areas that have their own names, but due to groth, have blurred their boundries.   

Do you have a woman friend to guide you or are you going it alone at first? A guide is really needed until you get your understanding of Cebu up to an acceptable level.   

• Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I first passed through Cebu on my last (and only) visit to the Phils, I stayed on or near Sanciangco Street, Colon. (thanks for the spelling MikeB)

Arriving about 7pm I checked in, and went looking for a meal. After I had eaten I went for a stroll along Sanciengko St.

You're quite right, it's a tad on the downmarket side, Though with my limited experience it might have been representative of the whole of Cebu City.

I was soon joined by a friendly gentleman who seemed a little excitable. He told me of a young lady, a student, very nice, very accomodating and

mine for about 1500p (if I remember right) Just accompany me in this here pedal trike, he said, I'll take you straight to her.

Gosh, I was so tempted ! Who could resist a night time ride with an unsavory pimp in a crappy pedal trike around the dark streets of a sleazy neighbourhood.

Tempted though I was I put on a brave face and told him "sorry mate" He was very, very disappointed and I thought he might break down and cry.

After that I went into a couple of bars. He waited outside. The bars on Sanciangco street are a joy. Decrepit, dark, dismal places with sound

systems which probably cost more than the rest place put together. Add a couple of decrepit, dark, dismal customers, a stage with traditional,

Philippino cultural dancing, performed by scantilly dressed young ladies, and you should be getting the picture.

Well it was time for me to head for my bed. At the door of my pension I said farewell to my friend the pimp who was still pleading with me

to go with him. I felt quite indebted to him because he probably kept the riff-raff away from me.

I slept well and left early the next morning.

Edited by Classic Dry
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I first passed through Cebu on my last (and only) visit to the Phils, I stayed on or near Sanciangco Street, Colon. (thanks for the spelling MikeB)

Arriving about 7pm I checked in, and went looking for a meal. After I had eaten I went for a stroll along Sanciengko St.

You're quite right, it's a tad on the downmarket side, Though with my limited experience it might have been representative of the whole of Cebu City.

I was soon joined by a friendly gentleman who seemed a little excitable. He told me of a young lady, a student, very nice, very accomodating and

mine for about 1500p (if I remember right) Just accompany me in this here pedal trike, he said, I'll take you straight to her.

Gosh, I was so tempted ! Who could resist a night time ride with an unsavory pimp in a crappy pedal trike around the dark streets of a sleazy neighbourhood.

Tempted though I was I put on a brave face and told him "sorry mate" He was very, very disappointed and I thought he might break down and cry.

After that I went into a couple of bars. He waited outside. The bars on Sanciangco street are a joy. Decrepit, dark, dismal places with sound

systems which probably cost more than the rest place put together. Add a couple of decrepit, dark, dismal customers, a stage with traditional,

Philippino cultural dancing, performed by scantilly dressed young ladies, and you should be getting the picture.

Well it was time for me to head for my bed. At the door of my pension I said farewell to my friend the pimp who was still pleading with me

to go with him. I felt quite indebted to him because he probably kept the riff-raff away from me.

I slept well and left early the next morning.

Classic Dry's quote:

I was soon joined by a friendly gentleman who seemed a little excitable. He told me of a young lady, a student, very nice,

very accomodating and mine for about 1500p (if I remember right) Just accompany me in this here pedal trike, he said,

I'll take you straight to her.  Gosh, I was so tempted ! Who could resist a night time ride with an unsavory pimp in a crappy

pedal trike around the dark streets of a sleazy neighbourhood.  Tempted though I was I put on a brave face and told him

"sorry mate" He was very, very disappointed and I thought he might break down and cry.

My response:

Ok, Ok, already ! Sheesh.  My true identify is finally blown and now I must confess that was me

on Sanciangko Street that night.  Actually, I broke down and cried because I jacked your wallet

with no cash what so ever.  What kind of tourist are you anyway?

Unless you are into funky smell and strange moans and groans, please follow the advice of my

fellow members.  But on the other hand, if you want to put on a brave face again, it would be a

once in the life time to actually hear moans and groans in a Tagalog accent.  You and I would

be on the floor, busting our guts laughing!  Did I mention about the chicken......?

Sleazy Jake the Snake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Gosh Jake ! I thought I was weird ! !

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Jake.... for a minute there.... reading your style of writing... I think I see a future for you writing Harlequin Romance novels!

Wow! I am impressed! In a Tagalog accent no less..... adding a flavor of international intrigue.   

OHHH!!!  DADDY KOOOOOOOO!!

Working title...

Rm 412, Colon Palace

A seedy dark novel of a forbidden romance between a Australian tourist and his new girlfriend and BIG secret she is hiding from  him...

By Sleazy Jake and his pet snake

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.sampaguitasuites.com/sampaguitasuitesjrg/rooms.php

Try this one.  699php  Air Con, Hot Water, Cable TV, Dresser, Telephone, Twin Bed

Mango Avenue... Just off Fuente Circle.  It is in the bar area so just be aware, especially if you stumble around drunk.  But it has foreigners frequently staying there.  You've got food and entertainment right there and if you want to go downtown it is 1 jeepney ride (I recommend taxi).  Robinson Mall is a few meters away; SM and Ayala Malls are pretty close by also.

YO.U (Your Own Utopia) is a good resto bar there... My lady has a friend working there.  They are good folks. :540:

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 2