Wet Market ~ Pinoy Style

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is a short, well done video of the sights and sounds of a Pinoy wet market.  This one is in the province of La Union, in San Jose, on the western side of the island of Luzon.

I wonder if that is earthdome standing somewhere in the back?  :whistling:

http://youtu.be/ZQit2oNMYvs

Edited by ibemarshall
  • Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Thank goodness we don't have "smellyvision" yet.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I gotta admit...   I have shopped in markets like this all around the world...  And I actually prefer buying many things in markets like this than in the grocery store.  Did anyone notice how fresh the fish were at the start of the video?  Still huffing and puffing!  Ever buy frozen chicken breasts in the grocery store?  Those wonderful seasoned ones?  Know why they are seasoned?  Because they have been sitting in a huge vat of brine soaking in chemicals that are suppose to keep them fresh and tender.  All it is doing having the chicken soak up contaminated water to add weight on the sale.  Yes, fresh meat and fish is the way to go!

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I gotta admit...   I have shopped in markets like this all around the world...  And I actually prefer buying many things in markets like this than in the grocery store.  Did anyone notice how fresh the fish were at the start of the video?  Still huffing and puffing!  Ever buy frozen chicken breasts in the grocery store?  Those wonderful seasoned ones?  Know why they are seasoned?  Because they have been sitting in a huge vat of brine soaking in chemicals that are suppose to keep them fresh and tender.  All it is doing having the chicken soak up contaminated water to add weight on the sale.  Yes, fresh meat and fish is the way to go!

Yeah! And did you hear what they are doing to chickens at Kentucky Fried Chicken!

I am not exactly sure what it is that they do to the chickens....

But they sure do taste good!  :hystery:  :dance:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sorry Bruce but I stopped going to KFC.  

The last time I had KFC, it was so greasy I felt sick after for a couple days.  It actually sprayed grease 3 feet over when I bit into it.  And, yes, it was grease and not just juicy!  The time before that I ended up tossing the entire bucket as it had a really funny taste.  The crowd I had over really enjoyed the chicken I bought off the deli counter at my local grocery store and so did I.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Isn't me but I do try to buy my fruit, veggies, eggs and meat from the wet market rather than the super market. The eggs seem fresher and cost less at the wet market. 60 pesos for a dozen large eggs. Though you do have to be careful you don't break the eggs which are given to you loose in the little plastic bag on the way home. The one time I bought eggs at the super market they cost more and one out of the dozen eggs was bad.

Instead of KFC or Jollibee I like to buy lechon manok (roasted chicken) from one of several locations within a block or two of my apartment.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I got into the habit of taking the livein helper to the markets (1 fish, 1 meat, 1 produce all together) to the market at about 5-6pm every night to buy fish for the family and clams / chicken for the Kano.

The first time I did this, many people asked her if I was her husband (nooo, I have all MY teeth!) and she went to great lengths to explain that I was her employer until I found out what the conversation was about . I told her that there was no issue with me, I did not care that people saw us 'together' because, well, you know... makes me look like I got a lot of women.... So I sure am not complaining. And then she got use to all the attention she got because of 'her' Kano'.......

And then the txts to the # 1 woman who know the &$%^&&*& town and all her friends txting her that HER Kano is out with another woman at the market... Well, I did enjoy it very much. The helper was quite embarrased but I did have a good time and repeat it every chance I can.       

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We shop at the market here in Bago at least twice a day. By North American standards, it would be shut down at once. Dogs run in and out, flies everywhere, customers and workers touching all the meat with bare hands, nobody washing their hands, wooden chop blocks, cigarette smoke, ashes, and butts  everywhere, tricycle exhaust and dust very close, etc but....I have never gotten sick so it must be OK. NA standards may be too high. Here too, they leave meat and other foods out of the ref all day and night when the temp is 30C. The eggs at the market are in the sun all day. The past 2 New Year's eve, we do a bad boy (roast pig) and it sits on the table for 3 days until it is all gone. Nobody gets sick. I have done the same in Cuba, yet in NA, we are told to put everything in the ref at once. It makes you wonder.

I do get a respiratory tract infection in the first month of my arrivals, likely from the pollution in the air from all the traffic. If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger!

• Like 4

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Instead of KFC or Jollibee I like to buy lechon manok (roasted chicken) from one of several locations within a block or two of my apartment.

I am with you on this - it is my mode of securing meals when I am in-country.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Bruce could probably answer this better.  

I have read many reports where we in the 1st World are making ourselves sick by over-sterilizing our environments.  Excessive hand washing with bacterial soaps, sterilizing our kitchens...  Germs and bacteria are very good at adapting to new environments such as excessively clean hands and sterilized kitchens.  They also become much much stronger in what they are going to do to our bodies once we ingest them. Humanity survived the dark ages, the mid-evil times, and the 20th century...  I'm sure we will survive a wet market in the Philippines and probably end up being all the more healthier for it.

Save some of that Lechon Manok for me!!!

:mocking:

• Like 3