2013 Balikbayan Boxes @ The Ready

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Saturday here was the big pickup day of our 2013 shipment of Balikbayan Boxes.  What a relief now that it is completed.

All told we had 5 Jumbo, 1 Regular and 6 Junior boxes. 

I don't have to tell you'all (you know) how much work goes into procurement, storage, deciding who gets what, packing, the sitting on top of the boxes by the wife so you can get it taped shut, the taping of the boxes and then moving them to the pickup staging area...makes me tired just typing about it  :hystery:

The payoff will be when the family finally gets them.  The plan is to be there when they are delivered and watch the event in person.

Here is a photo awaiting the pickup (wife was packing the last Junior box at time of photo):

attachicon.gifBoxes at the Ready.jpg

I am uncomfortable seeing the name Atlas on the boxes. I believe that it was Atlas who had containers full of boxes held by customs for 'paperwork issues' in 2010.

I am not sure who is the cheapest shipper... Atlas? But then the more expensive shippers ... Forexworld? Seems to have no customs issues. I believe there 2010 posts on this with pics showing the seized / held containers and the accompaning news articles.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

How much for shiping that many boxes?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You had your wife sit on the boxes so you could tape them closed?

How many times did you have to go back and free your wife after you taped her to a box?

:mocking:

• Like 1

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Saturday here was the big pickup day of our 2013 shipment of Balikbayan Boxes.  What a relief now that it is completed.

I don't have to tell you'all (you know) how much work goes into procurement, storage, deciding who gets what, packing, the sitting on top of the boxes by the wife so you can get it taped shut, the taping of the boxes and then moving them to the pickup staging area...makes me tired just typing about it  :hystery:

The payoff will be when the family finally gets them.  The plan is to be there when they are delivered and watch the event in person.

Here is a photo awaiting the pickup (wife was packing the last Junior box at time of photo):

attachicon.gifBoxes at the Ready.jpg

I am uncomfortable seeing the name Atlas on the boxes. I believe that it was Atlas who had containers full of boxes held by customs for 'paperwork issues' in 2010.

I am not sure who is the cheapest shipper... Atlas? But then the more expensive shippers ... Forexworld? Seems to have no customs issues. I believe there 2010 posts on this with pics showing the seized / held containers and the accompaning news articles.

Perhaps this was one of the ones that were held up for inspection a couple of years ago. It isn't an issue or concern for me. I have been using this company since 2006 and shipped over a dozen boxes with them.  I have been inside their facility and observed their operations and I have spoken to many of their employees,

They are not the cheapest to be sure - like many things one gets what they pay for - and for me, cheaper is not always better or best.  Our boxes get picked up and delivered to family members in Pampanga and Samar without a problem...nothing opened, nothing missing, nothing broken, no damage to the outside of the boxes, nothing leaked on the boxes, no custom issues on either end of the delivery chain.

I really don't have a dog in the fight. The bottom line for me is they are reliable, efficient and have very good customer service.  We get signed receipts with photos upon delivery to PI.  I can find out the shipment status by contacting the shipper by phone or online.  This all works for me.  Concerns and being uncomfortable with my choice for shippers makes them a no-go for some. To me, Balikbayan Box Shippers are like cars, everyone has their favorite or the ones they feel comfortable driving. 

• Like 3

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

How many times did you have to go back and free your wife after you taped her to a box?

I have to admit I am not a tape gun professional and I had troubles when she was bouncing up and down to get alittle more room in the box.  As she was a moving target I did have to redirect her gleeful efforts to more of an observer role.  It probably explains why I used 10 rolls of 3M packing tape!  :dance:

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I have to admit I am not a tape gun professional and I had troubles when she was bouncing up and down to get alittle more room in the box.  As she was a moving target I did have to redirect her gleeful efforts to more of an observer role.  It probably explains why I used 10 rolls of 3M packing tape!  :dance:

I use ac fiberglass reinforced aluminum tape. Or Black duct tape if I run out of the ac tape. This way, they may not try to cut the plain clear readily available tape to see what is inside and then simply reseal again with the clear tape. They certainly do not have the tape I use. $11 a roll.   

• Like 3

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Although expensive, your tape 'locks' the boxes up good I am sure.  It is certainly something to use to keep active eyes and hands at bay! 

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I use ac fiberglass reinforced aluminum tape. Or Black duct tape if I run out of the ac tape. This way, they may not try to cut the plain clear readily available tape to see what is inside and then simply reseal again with the clear tape. They certainly do not have the tape I use. $11 a roll.   

Hey Bruce,

For the life of me, I can't seem to find your photos on the way you pack your BB boxes.  I believe they

contained some computer parts and was well organized and well protected.  Can you find them for me

and post them again, pretty please?

For Ibemarshall -- you have exposed yourself for another play on words or taking something out of

context by yours truly: she was bouncing up and down to get a little more.  When my wife and I blessed

our new home many years ago, I put the washing machine on spin cycle and purposely made the load

imbalanced.  Judy was laughing so hard because I fell off my foot stool....he, he.

I guess you don't need the stool.....you're about 8'11" tall aren't you?  

• Like 2