2013 Balikbayan Boxes @ The Ready

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use a thin plywood liner for the bottom and top when possible. Blankets for chushioning and then pack everything so when the box is ROLLED (no hand trucks or dolly in the Philippines, I guess) nothing can damage when is next to it. For any foods or liquids, i double up in 1 gal. zip lick bags.

The mini bike was the biggest things so far and i used a sawzall to cut the frame into 3 pieces that fit and managed it all in one box with room for junk too! I posted those pics on the forum under a post less than 45 days ago.

Under What do you mean it does not fit! Make it fit   was the title.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

Steve
Posted
Posted

I am uncomfortable seeing the name Atlas on the boxes. I believe that it was Atlas who had containers full of boxes held by customs for 'paperwork issues' in 2010.

I remember roughly the time you're talking about. Atlas wasn't one of them. There is/was another company called Alas which I do believe was.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I am uncomfortable seeing the name Atlas on the boxes. I believe that it was Atlas who had containers full of boxes held by customs for 'paperwork issues' in 2010.

I remember roughly the time you're talking about. Atlas wasn't one of them. There is/was another company called Alas which I do believe was.

The article I saw and maybe posted here on the forum showed multiple shipping containers, open doors and many boxes and people walking around with no security in sight.

I do not know how it was resolved, but it was an extended hold up of delivery and lots of unhappy people.   

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Alas...yes...when the subject comes up at our Fil-Am parties when I mention 'Atlas' others have said..."oh yes 'Alas' is what we use, very cheap"...I then have to explain that it is not the same company.

Being in Southern California those that send these boxes from here are very fortunate as we have many companies to select from.  Being so close to the Atlas home office has given me access to see their operaton from inside the warehouse and to speak to many of their employees that normally don't have day-to-day contact with customers.  This is why I am so comfortable and have confidence in the shipping company I use.  Once again I have to say, to each his own, when it comes to which company one uses.

Thanks for the follow up!

• Like 1

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted (edited)

For Ibemarshall -- you have exposed yourself for another play on words or taking something out of context by yours truly: she was bouncing up and down to get a little more. When my wife and I blessed our new home many years ago, I put the washing machine on spin cycle and purposely made the load imbalanced. Judy was laughing so hard because I fell off my foot stool....he, he.

*dang...why didn't I think about the bouncing opportunity....I am always a day or month or year or decade late*  :hystery:

Here is something you might be interested in (or not hehe):

http://youtu.be/vTqJodRwGAQ

Now Jake, when you meet me one of these days you will see that I am only 5 foot 21 inches.... :1 (103):

Happy Laundering!

Edited by ibemarshall
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
ibemarshall
Posted
Posted (edited)

***UPDATE***

12 Boxes were picked up at my house in Southern California on Saturday Feb 12th....and delivered to my wife's sister's house (all 12 boxes) on Wednesday March 13th. (Pampanga, Luzon)

It was reported no boxes appeared to have been opened, none sustained damage and everything was found as was shipped. 

31 days from door to door ~ Total cost to send all 12 boxes (6 big & 6 small) was $435.00 US.

For my money I call that a success.

Edited by ibemarshall
  • Like 3

johnb
Posted
Posted

That’s pretty impressive; my best time from the UK to Cebu was 45 days, with LBC, congrats