Instant Water Heaters

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I have used these instant water heaters many times both here and in Latin America with no problems. I must tell you about the Cuban method. They use 2 metal cans one inside the other kept apart by 3 pieces of wood. One can is the size of pork & beans and the other is the size of tomato paste. They have an electric cord with one wire attched to one can and the other wire to the other can. No ground. Put the cans into 4 gallon pail of water so it does not touch the bottom nor sides, then plug it in to 220V. In 4 or 5 minutes, bubbles will rise. Do not feel the water, just unplug it and you have enough water for a dipper shower if you mix some cold water with it.

• Like 3

Bingbangbin
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I've been showering with similar heaters for the last 17 years and none of them were ever

grounded. I've never received a shock. My rule of thumb is if it's got a metal exterior,make sure it's grounded (microwave, toaster oven, etc.)

If your going to worry about it ground it though.... peace of mind is everything!

Cheers,

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

I have used these instant water heaters many times both here and in Latin America with no problems. I must tell you about the Cuban method. They use 2 metal cans one inside the other kept apart by 3 pieces of wood. One can is the size of pork & beans and the other is the size of tomato paste. They have an electric cord with one wire attched to one can and the other wire to the other can. No ground. Put the cans into 4 gallon pail of water so it does not touch the bottom nor sides, then plug it in to 220V. In 4 or 5 minutes, bubbles will rise. Do not feel the water, just unplug it and you have enough water for a dipper shower if you mix some cold water with it.

Sounds too dangerous to me.  The chance of electrical shock or being scalded are too great.  I think I will stick with the Filipino version with no ground.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

To use something electrical in water without a ground - and not knowing what it can do to you - is not the smartest thing in the world to do.  I have seen and used the Cuban water heater (the one's we had were even more primitive) but I wasn't standing in the water or having it fall on my from above.  And it was unplugged when the water was ladled.  As for the Filipino version?  Sure it works - with 1950s technology where people didn't understand how dangerous this is.  Seriously!  Consider getting a ground on it at minimum!     

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Big fan of grounding, never been able to understand why so many new appliances come without the ground pin in the plug - well at least here in Aust.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

In the USA I believe its a federal law that all appliances must be grounded therefore they have the three prong plug.  In the Philippines all the plugs I have seen are two prongs which means the neutral wire may or may not be Earth grounded.  Electricians who wire the homes don't seem to care if there's a Earth ground or not so its the responsibility of the home owner or renter to check it or have it checked.  After all, you are the one who will get shocked not the electrician.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

In the USA I believe its a federal law that all appliances must be grounded therefore they have the three prong plug.

Same in Canada but they say all MAJOR appliances so something that is considered a small appliance and is double insulated is not required to have a 3 prong plug.  Not sure where they draw the line.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

In the USA I believe its a federal law that all appliances must be grounded therefore they have the three prong plug.

Same in Canada but they say all MAJOR appliances so something that is considered a small appliance and is double insulated is not required to have a 3 prong plug.  Not sure where they draw the line.

They drew a line?  I thought they just flipped a coin!