Instant Water Heaters

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I've installed an instant water heater (pictured) in our house. Now, as everyone knows there are no ground or "earth" wires in houses here, just 2 pins on every power outlet.

In the instruction with the heater it says "Unit MUST be grounded"

So, i asked a "so-called" electrician about it and he said " No problem sir, your whole subdivision is grounded" I am certainly not a qualified electrician so does that mean that if someone was to have a short, the whole subdivision goes out?

Can anyone tell me if i should be running a dedicated "earth" wire from my water heater to a ground rod?

The only place i can see a ground rod here is where the power lines connect to the house out front.

We've been using the hot water but i'm a bit worried about this............i don't want to have my nuts fried.............they're working just fine :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery: post-1362-0-51791500-1360997769_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted

" No problem sir, your whole subdivision is grounded"

Perhaps he means your whole subdivision is built on the ground as opposed to up in the air.  :1 (103):

:hystery: :hystery:  :hystery: Good one Dave. Actually i had a few  replies for him in mind but what the hell it'd just go over his head anyway. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont think you need a dedicated earth wire but what would I know.  :lol:

This topic may be of interest.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/2550-electricity-in-the-philippines/

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Definitely ground it, these things can kill you. The one I had before we ran a shielded wire from a "ground" screw (should be labeled) inside the heater to a metal stake in the ground. I don't know if that's the best way so ask somebody. It's also important that the heater be securely mounted on the wall and the power cord isn't long enough to allow it to fall into standing water while plugged. But looking at the pic, you've got that covered. Nice looking bathroom, I'm jealous.

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

an electrical shock.... So gave then a 500p note and at that instant was given a personal invite to any and all future family funerals! I left before the family brought out all the single women for me to be introduced to.....

Also avoid being a sponsor for a wedding. Donations to help pay for the wedding is mandatory. Another one is being a sponsor for a baptism. You are now officially a member of the family and a future source for money.

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

an electrical shock.... So gave then a 500p note and at that instant was given a personal invite to any and all future family funerals! I left before the family brought out all the single women for me to be introduced to.....

Also avoid being a sponsor for a wedding. Donations to help pay for the wedding is mandatory. Another one is being a sponsor for a baptism. You are now officially a member of the family and a future source for money.

Oh my Gawd! When does it ever end? I vote that all this information should be printed on the airline tickets! :hystery:

• Like 3