Travel Agent?

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

Can anyone here recommend a good travel agent? OR am I still ahead to us one of the web based sites (Kayak, priceline.....)?

I read in another post, that I can't find now about checking bags through (in that case it was tacloban). Can someone explain that to me?

I will be traveling from San Diego to Davao city.

Leaving in a couple of weeks but will probably get my ticket within the last week before I leave.

Thanks

Dave

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Stop! Simple book a flight on philippine airlines out of LA or San Fran! Easy! Shortest flight time! Cheap! No travel agent needed. Use the MULTI CITY feature on the BOOK FLIGHTS page of PAL.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Also compare Philippine Airlines prices with Hawaiian Airlines. They fly San Diego to Honolulu to Manila. The Honolulu to Manila section is four times a week. Another airline is United, but their route is through Guam. I automatically check all three carriers from my base, which is Honolulu. We also do frequent flights to San Diego where our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter reside just north of the city in La Jolla.

• Like 2

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

Can anyone here recommend a good travel agent? OR am I still ahead to us one of the web based sites (Kayak, priceline.....)?

I read in another post, that I can't find now about checking bags through (in that case it was tacloban). Can someone explain that to me?

Leaving in a couple of weeks but will probably get my ticket within the last week before I leave.

Thanks

Dave

I am in san diego - so LA does not work. Going to davao - so I need a trip from my start destination to my end destination-  not just part of the trip.

Thanks for the reply

• Like 1

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

Also compare Philippine Airlines prices with Hawaiian Airlines. They fly San Diego to Honolulu to Manila. The Honolulu to Manila section is four times a week. Another airline is United, but their route is through Guam. I automatically check all three carriers from my base, which is Honolulu. We also do frequent flights to San Diego where our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter reside just north of the city in La Jolla.

I am near LA jolla

what is your siggestion about agents?

Agents? Carriers? Web Sites?

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

I dont think you will be able to get your bags checked thru all the way to Davao City as the leg of you flight from Manila or Cebu (not sure which youre going thru) will be a domestic flight and your bags with have to go thru Customs before that.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I dont think you will be able to get your bags checked thru all the way to Davao City as the leg of you flight from Manila or Cebu (not sure which youre going thru) will be a domestic flight and your bags with have to go thru Customs before that.

NO!......  So far, in 9 trips, I have always check my bags in Miami thru to Tacloban City with American Airlines, by showing them my Philippines Air ticket to Manila and then the connecting flight to Tacloban. So While American takes them in Miami, I do not see  them in LA. I clear customs in Manila with them and then turn them over to the connecting flight  people next to customs and then get them again in Tacloban. So far. no extra domestic fees! And no issues with customs in Manila. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I am near LA jolla what is your siggestion about agents? Agents? Carriers? Web Sites?

Most of us with this forum use the Internet for airline tickets. I don't have any names for travel agents in San Diego. One possibility is to locate someone who is advertising to the local Filipino community. They should be able to arrange continous travel from San Diego to your ultimate destination, Davao City.

Trans Pacific flights usually permit two free bags, either 50 or 70 pounds each depending on the carrier. You can hand carry a bag up to 15 pounds on Philippine Airlines and up to 25 pounds on Hawaiian and United. Double check their website information because the rules keep changing. Make sure the bags are checked through to Davao City even if they are unloaded at the Manila International Airport for customs inspection. Otherwise, there is a huge baggage fee for the Manila to Davao leg of your trip.

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

. I clear customs in Manila with them and then turn them over to the connecting flight

I'm sorry but that was what i ment.. you WIll have to physically get the bags in Manila , go thru customs with it ,then hand it back in for the last leg....checking the bags thru to Davao will save the extra $$.. BUT be aware you have to pick them up and get them thru customs.. not just put them on the plane in San Diego and get them when you get off in Davao

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hi Bigdog,

Just curious. From Alaska, do you go to Vancouver for a flight to Manila (Philippine Airlines?) or go farther south to Seattle or San Francisco? I heard there is a Middle East carrier offering cheap tickets from Seattle to Manila.