Trike Designs For Us Big N' Tall Guys

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted (edited)

A few months back we discussed the idea of the e-trike or electric trike. Now I am exploring regular trike models.

Dunno about you, but I have a mind to procure a trike for short trips when I finally make my way to one of the 7,000+ islands.   I am thinking it will fit in well with whatever other personal transportation plan I end up having.

Being one of the big n' tall kinda guys, I want to either find a trike design that will allow me to travel in comfort and be able to actually see out of the trike while in motion or design one that will allow me to fully enjoy my trike journeys.

Usually I am looking straight ahead and the top of the windscreen or my feet or the driver's right leg or the ground passing by out the doorway.   And then there is the 'getting out' drama after 'getting in'...  I bet many reading this post can relate.

In checking out the internet to see what is out there at the current time, I found this photo of a trike from the Coron area of the Philippines (Palawan ?).  It appears to be of a size that would work for me.

post-2511-0-75389400-1361610075_thumb.jp

What say you...

Cheers~~

Edited by ibemarshall
  • Like 4

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

It might be the same size of seat for you, it's just that the drivers inside rather than on the outside......just got out of a trike an hour ago, I feel your pain, cannot believe they actually fit 4-5 inside!

Not on my watch sir, I pay for my own private one for comfort..... Not exactly the right word!!

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

The tricycles in Puerto Princesa, Palawan were mostly oversized too.  They also have seats facing across each other (but not sideways like jeepneys).

• Like 4

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

The tricycles in Puerto Princesa, Palawan were mostly oversized too.  They also have seats facing across each other (but not sideways like jeepneys).

I think this trike in the photo is similar to what you describe as it was taken in Coron, an island I believe is on the northern tip of Palwan somewhere.  Did you ride in one like these?

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Yes, and as tricycles go, it was comfortable.   Wide seats with good leg room.  It's just one of those things about Palawan.  The province is very organized and tourist-friendly. 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Good morning SoCal (Marshall),

I have a very strong suspicion that you're pretty good with computer aid design.  I was thinking along

the same lines of having one customized built for family use and of course with a trusted family driver.

The photos below will hopefully keep us busy designing our future family transportation:

post-686-0-09668200-1361633988_thumb.jpg post-686-0-57280100-1361634039_thumb.jpg post-686-0-93491900-1361634131_thumb.jpg

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A few months back we discussed the idea of the e-trike or electric trike. Now I am exploring regular trike models.

Dunno about you, but I have a mind to procure a trike for short trips when I finally make my way to one of the 7,000+ islands.   I am thinking it will fit in well with whatever other personal transportation plan I end up having.

Being one of the big n' tall kinda guys, I want to either find a trike design that will allow me to travel in comfort and be able to actually see out of the trike while in motion or design one that will allow me to fully enjoy my trike journeys.

Usually I am looking straight ahead and the top of the windscreen or my feet or the driver's right leg or the ground passing by out the doorway.   And then there is the 'getting out' drama after 'getting in'...  I bet many reading this post can relate.

In checking out the internet to see what is out there at the current time, I found this photo of a trike from the Coron area of the Philippines (Palawan ?).  It appears to be of a size that would work for me.

attachicon.gifTricycle4%20(Medium).jpg

What say you...

Cheers~~

I gotta ask, Marshall...

Was this the Trike where you sat on the roof and your feet still dragged?

But that's ok...  If I get any broader in the shoulders, I"ll be squeezing the driver out the door on the other side of the trike....  

:mocking:

(I gotta get smaller, I gotta get smaller, I gotta get smaller, I gotta get smaller, I gotta get smaller, I gotta get smaller, Where's that danged wizard when you need him?)

• Like 3

Gary
Posted
Posted (edited)

for a big and tall guy may i suggest this heavy duty model.

post-1192-0-26711200-1362187196_thumb.jp

Edited by Gary
  • Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

for a big and tall guy may i suggest this heavy duty model.

*rubbing hands together....formulating plan....pop a wheelie....loose her off the back....don't look back*...

'Headin' down the highway....

Gary - special credit for the John Deere Green!

Thanks for the laughs~~~

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

In San Carlos City most use the tricycles or pedicab.  Being an XXXLarge guy, I know what you are talking about.  I really enjoy riding the tricycles and my wife or family usually check for a "larger" one for me.  Still, I end up with bumps on the back of the head or stiff neck from bending sideways so I can look through the windshild.  Oterwise I hang my head out the doorway.

The tricycle bodys in San Carlos City like other places are hand built in several locations around the city.  The ones used there are more of a design where its a side car attached to the cycle.  In the front will be a seat for two with usually jumpseats for kids facing rearwards and the two mor seats in the back facing each other.  Not unusual to see  8-12 passangers.

Anyway, my last trip, I visited a body fab shop and asked the price of the side car.  Don't remember now the price, but then I asked if he could  build with a higher roof and the windshild raised higher for my height.  I was amazed when he said sure and the price would be about the same.  I'm going to have one built for my brother-in law to make some money and use for me when I'm there!  I'm sure you could find the same in most any city.  Just tell them the specs you want and let them have at it.

danny

• Like 3