Trike Designs For Us Big N' Tall Guys

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

In San Carlos City most use the tricycles or pedicab.  Being an XXXLarge guy, I know what you are talking about.  I really enjoy riding the tricycles and my wife or family usually check for a "larger" one for me.  Still, I end up with bumps on the back of the head or stiff neck from bending sideways so I can look through the windshild.  Oterwise I hang my head out the doorway.

The tricycle bodys in San Carlos City like other places are hand built in several locations around the city.  The ones used there are more of a design where its a side car attached to the cycle.  In the front will be a seat for two with usually jumpseats for kids facing rearwards and the two mor seats in the back facing each other.  Not unusual to see  8-12 passangers.

Anyway, my last trip, I visited a body fab shop and asked the price of the side car.  Don't remember now the price, but then I asked if he could  build with a higher roof and the windshild raised higher for my height.  I was amazed when he said sure and the price would be about the same.  I'm going to have one built for my brother-in law to make some money and use for me when I'm there!  I'm sure you could find the same in most any city.  Just tell them the specs you want and let them have at it.

danny

Yeah, we are always looking for a larger sidecar for me because some of them are tiny and the way they make the seat sometimes makes even big ones seems small.   I'm puzzled why they don't make them a little bigger, on average, because the footprint is available.

For the style like Marshall posted, we saw some of these, either in Cebu or Davao??  And I think some of them had seats in the back facing backwards.  It must be scary when a jeep is bearing down on you with the brakes squealing!

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My girlfriends father makes side cars and has 4 or 5 employees. From start to finish it takes 3-4 weeks to make one. There are always 4-5 in various stages of construction at his shop. All hand crafted. He has 2 different styles. One which is just the small side car with the inside seat. Another that is slightly longer and has the second small jump seat facing backwards on the rear. I have never asked him what he charges for them. But I did ask once how many in the area were built by him. Over 500! He works 7 days a week, rarely taking a day off. His employees work 5-6 days a week.

One nice thing is that it makes it very easy to grab a tricycle to my girlfriends family home. All the tricycle drivers know where his shop is. The shop and home are on the same small lot.

• Like 3

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

These are great responses.

Earthdome - I bet knowing the King of Sidecars has some great advantages.  Recalling previous trips to La Union I am remembering the trike/sidecars seemed alittle larger than in other areas.  I think they all had bigger than normal ID numbers as well.  Maybe my memory is cloudy but I will soon have 'sandals on the ground' to witness again.

Intripid - your descriptions have me nodding in agreement and your previous experience is valuable.  My brother-in-law has a trike already and when I am coming for a visit he takes one sidecar off and mounts a bigger one for me...it still has it's limits tho! 

OnMyWay - I try always to call 'shotgun' first so I don't have to be lookin backwards...problem is it is sometimes difficult to explain why I am yelling...go figure eh...

On my next trip I am going to do so local research on the fabbing of sidecars and perhaps will undertake the procurement of a King Size trike for my family to use and for me when I visit and relocate when that time finally comes.

Once again, I appreciate your responses.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Earthdome - I bet knowing the King of Sidecars has some great advantages.  Recalling previous trips to La Union I am remembering the trike/sidecars seemed alittle larger than in other areas.  I think they all had bigger than normal ID numbers as well.  Maybe my memory is cloudy but I will soon have 'sandals on the ground' to witness again.

I am only 5'11" and I still have to scrunch down so my head doesn't hit the roof when we go over a bump. I have stuck my head out the side to see. Reminded me of a dog sticking its head out the window. Now all I need is that long tongue hanging out.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I am only 5'11" and I still have to scrunch down so my head doesn't hit the roof when we go over a bump. I have stuck my head out the side to see. Reminded me of a dog sticking its head out the window. Now all I need is that long tongue hanging out.

Just be careful sticking your head out the side because when he slams into the jeep in front of you, your head will be rolling down the street and your body will still be in the sidecar!    :bash:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

perhaps will undertake the procurement of a King Size trike

Marshall, before you take delivery of your giant trike, you should visit the trike driver's training school in Burnham Park, Baguio City.  Here is a picture of one of the instructors.

post-1784-0-44629200-1362228753_thumb.jp

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
lonewolf
Posted
Posted

that is an image that will cause alot of laughter just imagining you with your hanging  out and a long tonue flapping in the breaze

• Like 1